UKC

Extreme Rock Book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 06 Oct 2015
Talking to a chap in the old Keswick bookshop today he said that Extreme Rock now goes for £150 on account of it being so rare and impossible to re-print due to the plates being inadvertently destroyed. A quick search of Amazon revealed copies at £196.

Crikey! I'd better look after my copy a bit more.

I actually think that's quite sad that such a milestone book can't be reprinted.
 climber34neil 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Babika:

Copies of hard rock go for about £60 to £70 as well, so imagine how pleased I was to get a second edition copy in a second hand book shop at the weekend for £3.50 !
Removed User 07 Oct 2015
In reply to climber34neil:

I will give you a fiver for it. You pay for postage though, I'm not made of money.
 climber34neil 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Tempting but I don't know the way to the post office
 Si dH 07 Oct 2015

> Copies of hard rock go for about £60 to £70 as well, so imagine how pleased I was to get a second edition copy in a second hand book shop at the weekend for £3.50 !

Really??? Do you mean a specific edition? I thought it was still in print - i bought mine new only about 5 years ago.
In reply to Babika: This is a bit of a myth. Most copies go for well under that. Just because one is on Amazon at £196 doesn't mean that's how much it will actually sell for.

I know it's rare, but I'll be the first one to say that, with a few exceptions, it's really quite dull and not worth the money/hype. I sold my copy a few years ago and have never once regretted it.

abseil 07 Oct 2015

> Tempting but I don't know the way to the post office

Turn right at Macdonalds, left at Aldi, left again at Lidl and it's across from the chippy.

Signed, Abseil
Gourmet
 Martin Bennett 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I cashed mine in too. But I did get £185 for it, and it wasn't pristine by any means. I should think a "mint" copy would exceed £200. Agree with you it was a shadow of the magnificently evocative "Hard Rock". Anyway I'd done 9 of the 10 routes in it that I thought I could do, leaving only Left Wall that might once have been within my grasp - and I know enough about that without Extreme Rock to prompt me. In any case I'm over the hill now so I figured £185 in crisp new fivers would take up less room than the book!
 Hugh Cottam 07 Oct 2015

If there's such a thing in climbing as blasphemy, I think you're guilty. Now wash your mouth out while I think of a suitable penance.
 Michael Hood 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky: I always thought that the thing that made it not as good as Hard Rock was having several routes for virtually all the chapters - doing this I think compromised the style of writing on any particular route.

climber34neil 07 Oct 2015
In reply to abseil:

Sorry but by the time I had been in macdonalds Lidl aldi and the chippy I had spent the postage money, still I did get a big Mac meal, a frozen chicken, 2 Halloween outfits , 3 bottles of fine wine and a pickled egg all for the price of posting a small parcel
 felt 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Babika:

I've got a near mint copy, mint in all but a slight scuff to back top jacket, looks brand new otherwise, if anyone wants to make me a sensible offer.
 alan moore 07 Oct 2015

I know what you mean; apart from Alan Baker's 'Heart of the Sun', the essays are a bit all over the place.
It stands the test of time as a picture book though.
 jon 07 Oct 2015
In reply to alan moore:

> It stands the test of time as a picture book though.

Captures the truely appalling fashions of the period, you mean!

Michael Gordon 07 Oct 2015

I wonder why they don't do a new copy of Hard Rock, like they did with Classic Rock? Surely the plates haven't been lost for that one too?!
 alan moore 07 Oct 2015
In reply to jon:

OK, there are a lot of tights...
Wiley Coyote2 07 Oct 2015
In reply to alan moore:

> OK, there are a lot of tights...

I knew there was a reason why I've not opened my copy in the last 10 years
 Misha 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Babika:
There's a ticklist on UKC, good enough for me!
 Bob 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Ken Wilson was in the process of doing a new edition but that was a few years ago and he's now sold Baton Wicks to Vertebrate Publishing https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/about/baton-wicks.html Whether they have a new edition in the pipeline, I don't know.
In reply to Bob:

Thanks. Vertebrate seem like a good choice so that's maybe good news!
 Steve Perry 07 Oct 2015
> I wonder why they don't do a new copy of Hard Rock, like they did with Classic Rock? Surely the plates haven't been lost for that one too?!

I thought the same when buying a new copy of Classic Rock a few years ago. I also wonder why someone just doesn't do an non copyright intrusive version of a UK Extreme Rock.
Post edited at 21:22
In reply to Steve Perry:

> II also wonder why someone just doesn't do an non copyright intrusive version of a UK Extreme Rock.

Or just use new photos? But I have that book now so it doesn't matter!
 pec 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Babika:

Wasn't there some talk of scanning a pristine copy of Extreme Rock and printing a new edition from that?
Kipper 07 Oct 2015
In reply to pec:

> Wasn't there some talk of scanning a pristine copy of Extreme Rock and printing a new edition from that?

Why would you want the pictures?

OP Babika 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Kipper:

> Why would you want the pictures?

back to an earlier answer......its those tights.......
 pec 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Kipper:

> Why would you want the pictures? >

I assumed they would scan the words as well!

Michael Gordon 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Kipper:

Great historical value - it's one of the main charms of the book. But I do agree that an excellent and different range of modern photographs would be just as inspiring for those aspiring to do the routes.
 Rich K 16 Oct 2015

There's a copy going for £100 on the Oxfam online bookshop. Sounds like a bargain.
 Graham Hoey 16 Oct 2015
In reply to pec:
The problem is that it's not really a classic and just looks dated, unlike Rock Climbers in Action in Snowdonia which is a fantastic snapshot of a special period in North Wales development. My understanding is that it is unlikely to be reprinted unless there was to be a huge demand for it. I'd rather see Black Cliff redone with an update.

cheers

Graham
 Co1in H 16 Oct 2015
In reply to Babika: Extreme Rock is very much of its time and the aura around it has been enhanced over the years primarily by the destruction of the printing plates. It is a scarce book but I don't see the benefit in "reprinting". Much better to produce a new book with the extreme routes of the day. There are many examples of this and each is subjective. Ken Wilson and his co writers/team produced three outstanding titles of their day. For some they stand the test of time, for others they don't.

Solaris 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Graham Hoey:

> I'd rather see Black Cliff redone with an update.

Now there's a good idea!
 jim jones 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Co1in H:
> Extreme Rock is very much of its time and the aura around it has been enhanced over the years primarily by the destruction of the printing plates. It is a scarce book but I don't see the benefit in "reprinting". Much better to produce a new book with the extreme routes of the day. There are many examples of this and each is subjective. Ken Wilson and his co writers/team produced three outstanding titles of their day. For some they stand the test of time, for others they don't.

Now that's a good idea; would it have any sport routes in it though, I wonder?
Post edited at 23:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...