UKC

NEWS: A Helping Hand for Refugees in Hamburg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Oct 2015
A refugee gets to grips with bouldering in Hamburg, 3 kbWe recently came across an event at a bouldering wall in Hamburg, Germany named "Sei Boulderpate für einen Tag!" or "Be a bouldering mentor for a day!" The premise of the event? To bring refugees from shelters in the city to the wall with the aim of helping them to experience something new and meet local people - their bouldering mentors - in a friendly, welcoming environment. Is this something we could do more of in the UK perhaps?

To find out more about the initiative, we spoke to Verena of FLASHH - boulder spot in Hamburg.

Read more
munichhannah 07 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

So good to read, thank you - I'm planning a similar thing this winter in Munich but with Skiing and kids.

Lots to do... hope the UK is ready.

Hannah
 Wft 07 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Really good, hope it's something the locals wall round here would look into, I'd be more than willing to show someone a bit of bouldering/fail in style.
 ro8x 08 Oct 2015
In reply to GuyVG:

The mini works would be perfect for this kind of thing. Happy to give my time to help out if anything happens...
 Chris Harris 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

This will presumably come in handy for climbing over the fences at Calais.
theoriginalmoggy 08 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I've climbed at FLASHH a handful of times whenever I've been in HH on a business trip and it's a really friendly centre. It's great to see them doing something practical like this to bring a bit of relief and respite to people trapped in a really bad situation
 robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 09 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Definitely a good idea and definitely something that we should do to help integrate and help others less fortunate, I also often wonder what more we could do as a community for those already living in the UK? Probably a classic case of I just need to do something, rather than wait for a local wall to set it up ...
 FreshSlate 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:

> This will presumably come in handy for climbing over the fences at Calais.

Brilliant - how can anyone down vote this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...