UKC

Anyone cycled Mount Keen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 08 Oct 2015
Vaguely considering cycling Mt Keen this weekend, is it worth doing? Any particular routes better than others?
 Heike 08 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hi there, did this years ago, but I think we abandoned the bike a very short distance from the top, other than that a great bike ride.

We started from Glen Tanner.
Enjoy
OP girlymonkey 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Heike:

Did you go from the North or South?

We are half considering a long loop including the Fungle Road, but I wonder if it might be too much for my current fitness level
 Heike 08 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

We came from the North, that's from Glen Tanner. It wasn't too onerous! A nice autumn day out.....
 Gadameer 09 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Done it a couple of times from Aboyne via this route. Excellent day out. Shorter variations are possible. The carry to the top of Mt Keen is worth the detour if you're feeling strong.
http://www.ecurieneep.co.uk/routes1.asp?routeid=4
 Martin W 09 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey: Another thread on this same subject from a while back: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=428840
OP girlymonkey 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Gadameer:

Thanks, that is almost the route in our book, but not quite. Looks good. I think we will probably go for it
 Roadrunner5 13 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've gone part way from Esk and Tanner,

Tanner is a lovely old caledonian pine forest glen for sections, Esk is totally deforested but you get some nice views of the valley and see some of the history. I do Esk route more as its closer to my parents house but from Esk the track is hard to cycle once you leave the valley.
 Sealwife 13 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:
Glen Tanar is lovely and an easy cycle in as far as the ruin.
Post edited at 21:38
Rigid Raider 14 Oct 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yes, we did it from the Glen Tanar end, it was an easy cruise all the way and I managed to get the bike as far as the summit cone then walked the last few hundred yards. I'd have done better to leave the bike at the turning circle at the end of the very obvious shooters' road that goes straight up towards the col because beyond that I was just pushing and carrying.

It's fine in MTB shoes with SPDs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...