UKC

Climbing harder than a goat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lazer007 12 Oct 2015
I am in Kalymnos at the moment doing some climbing. I can't really call myself a beginner anymore although those are the routes I am on (4s-5s). On most the routes I have been on the has been evidence that a goat has gone before me. This has provided the inspiration for my climbing goal - to climb harder than a goat. I appreciate this may not sound like a lofty ambition but it will certainly stretch me. And so my question to UKC is how hard is this? Or in other words, what is the hardest grade you have seen a goat on (or evidence that a goat has been there)?

I should say I'm looking for standard goats (ie not in sticky rubber shoes) that have climbed with good form (ie not falling on to a perilous ledge or have been hoisted up 'for a joke').

Any supporting pictures would be great and I will not use them as beta in my mission to climb harder than a goat.
 Greasy Prusiks 12 Oct 2015
In reply to lazer007:

Not a picture I took but have a look at this...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7hJ0xvp6H_M/UrrUHtqho0I/AAAAAAAA0KQ/Rxo3...

What grade do people reckon? Couldn't see any gear on it myself and it looks reasonably tricky.

Ramblin dave 12 Oct 2015
In reply to lazer007:

Get yourself a pair of these:
http://betamonkeys.co.uk/goat-eez/
cap'nChino 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Get yourself a pair of these:

Not heard of that site before. It is make for some good reading at work. Thanks.
 Flinticus 12 Oct 2015
In reply to lazer007:

Bridging techniques employed by goats

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/348114246173717355/

Ramblin dave 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

> Bridging techniques employed by goats

Well that should keep the usual forum trolls quiet...
In reply to lazer007:

It depends on the style of route. They're not much cop on roofs. Get yourself on some of those.

jcm
 PPP 12 Oct 2015
In reply to lazer007:

Keep in mind that you can only on-sight free solo. Beta is not allowed, nor the guidebooks.
 drolex 12 Oct 2015
In reply to PPP:

I think eating a guidebook is allowed though.
 PPP 12 Oct 2015
In reply to drolex:

So is climbing naked.
 mike123 12 Oct 2015
In reply to lazer007:
Depends what's chasing you .....
youtube.com/watch?v=jSGikymKFlc&
VS I reckon
"Nowt but a fleein thing would gan up they're "
Post edited at 14:50
 berna 12 Oct 2015
In reply to lazer007:

Goats have hard hooves so one could argue they are dry tooling more than anything.

Depending where you do this you may get a large hex thrown at you for trying....
 GridNorth 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Impressive but what have they ever done on grit.

Al
 KTC 12 Oct 2015
In reply to lazer007:

Goats climb harder than I do in Kalymnos: They're at least 6b capable. I had a herd come across and above me on lead when the goat-whistler arrived below me at sea breeze. One of them stood on my (thankfully helmeted) head as he went past.
OP lazer007 14 Oct 2015
In reply to KTC:

Yeah, much harder than me too. Thanks to the posters on here I now have a plan...eat a guidebook for breakfast (without reading it) and climb naked apart from the goatee boots and Ice axes and helmet to protect myself from thrown hexes!

Hopefully with these changes I'll manage to climb harder than a goat (about 6c)!
 d_b 19 Oct 2015
In reply to lazer007:

Don't forget the goatee beard.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...