UKC

Annecy Maxi Race - Anyone done it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 14 Oct 2015
I applied for the ballot to get into the 80km Mont Blanc but unfortunately didn't get accepted. So instead I'm looking around for another similar race around May/June.

The Maxi Race in Annecy (www.maxi-race.org) takes place at the end of May and looks like a good alternative. Wanted to get thoughts from the UKC collective if anyone had done it and had opinions. I seem to remember Iain ran it last year as part of the World Champs and didn't think it was that well organised but maybe the perspective is different from a punter level. I see that they're reducing the number of available places this year to ease overcrowding.

They have an abominable website, so I hope that's not an indicator
 john arran 14 Oct 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

> They have an abominable website, so I hope that's not an indicator

Sorry, can't help with race info but if their website does more than just give out a phone number they're well ahead of the pack in France.
 Roadrunner5 14 Oct 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

I did it last year.

A superb race, lovely scenery, especially the second half.

It was incredibly well organised, the start was chaos, but the actual race was superb.

I really recommend it and woul certainly run it again. There were issues at the start, bus transport, not enough toilets, water etc but on the actual race course it could not be faulted.

Bit of everything, very much a trail race more than a mountainous ultra like the UTMB, you stay lowish for much of the race but have some long climbs.
 wbo 14 Oct 2015
In reply to yorkshireman: Recommend as a first ultra?

OP yorkshireman 14 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> A superb race, lovely scenery, especially the second half.
> It was incredibly well organised, the start was chaos, but the actual race was superb.

Sounds good - I know the area well but have never run it - a stunning location as you say.

In reply to wbo:

> Recommend as a first ultra?

Would I recommend it? Not sure. Its only 85km but decent amount of vert for the distance. I'll have a better idea after I've run it I guess - entries open on Dec 1st so I'll see if I get in.
 Roadrunner5 14 Oct 2015
In reply to wbo:

> Recommend as a first ultra?

Probably not. You have a long way between checkpoints, 3-6 hours depending on pace.

I look 10,5 hours carrying an injury, I could probably run sub 10 but not many get sub 10 or sub 9 hours.

Its well marked but 17,000 feet in 55 miles is certainly hilly.

It's not super technical but has sections which are very technical but what makes it harder is the very fast start. You can seriously bury yourself in the first 20 miles and then struggle to recover sufficiently.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...