UKC

How not fast is this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 14 Oct 2015

Evening all,
Yesterday I had a bit of a bet. As part of this I ran 1.5 miles in a few seconds under 9:40. I'm a complete beginner at running so don't know whether that's a respectable time or not? If someone could give me a rough idea I'd be grateful.
Cheers,
Greasy

(PS I won the bet )
Post edited at 21:16
 Run_Ross_Run 14 Oct 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

About average.
 Rich_cakeboy 14 Oct 2015
If you could maintain that pace for 3.1 miles it would be a sub-20 minute 5 k, which is perfectly respectable. If you could keep going that long
Post edited at 21:40
 jezb1 14 Oct 2015

If you're not a runner, that's a respectable time
 The New NickB 14 Oct 2015

For what it's worth, you would comfortably pass the running element of the Army fitness test.

How old are you?
In reply to The New NickB:

That was actually the bet- £10 I couldn't do the Parachute Regiment basic fitness test. Which according to my mate is that run in sub 9:40, 50 press ups in sub 2 minutes, 50 sit ups in sub 2 minutes and 7 pull ups. Not sure I believe him, but that felt comfortable.

I'm uni student type age but rebuilding fitness after serious illness.

Thanks for the comments everyone. That's good to know.
 The New NickB 14 Oct 2015
In reply to Rich_cakeboy:

> If you could maintain that pace for 3.1 miles it would be a sub-20 minute 5 k, which is perfectly respectable. If you could keep going that long

Realistically it's about a 21 minute 5k, but still not a bad effort for a non-runner!
Moley 14 Oct 2015

You say that you aren't a runner, but not if you do another sport.

If you sit on your arse playing video games all your free time and take no exercise, then I'm bloody impressed.

If you play football and train several times a week, its what I may expect.
 Roadrunner5 15 Oct 2015

Its pretty good, but also pretty normal for a sporting male.

My 'fitness test' when I played football was always 3 miles in 21 minutes. If I could do that I was OK.

Certainly respectable. But as others say it depends on your background.

To improve run miles at slightly slower with 1 minute rest. Maybe 6:50 pace, 1 min rest, 6:50 pace, 1 min rest, 6:50...

And then general running.

XXXX 15 Oct 2015

Have a biscuit
 steveriley 15 Oct 2015

You should be chuffed. Not proper fast but that would put you in the top half of my running club.
Any spare biscuits?
In reply to SteveRi:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I certainly enjoyed it so hopefully there is more running around the corner.

And consider the biscuit done
 DancingOnRock 15 Oct 2015
Google 'Cooper Test'.

The army are using a normalised Cooper test where they want people who have a VO2max above 55.

Rather than trying to calculate loads of formulas and having recruits all running different distances and all the confusion that would generate when you're trying to deal with lots of people of slightly different ability. They simplify it and say run 1.5miles in under 9:40.

They could equally have said run at least 3km in 12minutes which is the Cooper test equivalent.

So your VO2max is around 55, which is fairly good. Have a Google to find ranges and ages.
Post edited at 12:52
 Tom Valentine 15 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I seem to remember having to do 6.50 s to train for a sub 4 hour marathon
 DancingOnRock 15 Oct 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I seem to remember having to do 6.50 s to train for a sub 4 hour marathon

Depends what session you're doing. 6:50 mile is pretty long for a VO2max and pretty quick for a LT.
 Dave 88 15 Oct 2015

Yeah your mate is correct, however that's just the test to see if you're worth allowing onto basic training.

And I imagine you'd be very well "warmed up" by the time the test begins.

Still very respectable if you're coming back from injury, good for you.
 hamsforlegs 16 Oct 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

6:50s gets you sub 3. ie really quite quick for a marathon!
 Roadrunner5 16 Oct 2015
In reply to hamsforlegs:

> 6:50s gets you sub 3. ie really quite quick for a marathon!

But you wouldnt do mile reps at 6:50's to run sub 3.

Not sure why he'd run 6:50 reps for a sub 4 though. I'd expect someone to be doing them considerably slower or shorter for V02 max, but even then not at 6:50
 Stig 16 Oct 2015
In reply to hamsforlegs:

You likely need to be running a sub-5:30 mile to go under 3 for the marathon!
 DancingOnRock 16 Oct 2015
The test does nothing more than test VO2max. It's less than 3km. You don't really need any endurance to manage that distance in that time. You certainly can't extrapolate that to a marathon time.

I do VO2max intervals at 6:50. 6x1000m.
My theoretical marathon time is 3:50. I've yet to break 4:20. I do LT intervals at 7:40.

Roadrunner5 16 Oct 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> The test does nothing more than test VO2max. It's less than 3km. You don't really need any endurance to manage that distance in that time. You certainly can't extrapolate that to a marathon time.

> I do VO2max intervals at 6:50. 6x1000m.

> My theoretical marathon time is 3:50. I've yet to break 4:20. I do LT intervals at 7:40.

You should be quicker if that's your LT.

Your LT should be around your 10k pace, but a bit slower for you. It's basically the pace you can sustain for 1 hour. For quicker runners it's more like their 10 mile pace, for even quicker runners more like their half pace.

I do my Lt sessions at 5:45-5:30 depending on how fit I am and my Vo2 max workouts around 5:15-5:25 pace. My marathon pace is 5:59 pace.

It sounds like you are slowing off too much, I'd drop the longer slow runs and focus much more on 13-16 miles of quicker progressive runs.
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks. Talking to coaches at my club they're of a similar opinion. Although I have health issues that may affect my endurance.

I hit 20miles in 3hours at Nottingham. The last 6 took 1h30m. I had come up with the idea that the long runs need to be done harder in some way while still being able to recover from them.
 mountainbagger 16 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Your LT should be around your 10k pace, but a bit slower for you. It's basically the pace you can sustain for 1 hour. For quicker runners it's more like their 10 mile pace, for even quicker runners more like their half pace.

Hi, probably a bit cheeky of me to ask for training advice on someone else's thread (!), but on this subject, whilst you are here...

I think the pace I can sustain for 1 hr would possibly be about 6:50ish. Does this mean when I'm doing a tempo (is that the same thing as LT?) run that I should keep it at about 6:50, regardless of whether it is a 3 or 8 mile one? On 3 milers I tend to go for 6:30 - 6:45 and 8 milers about 6:50 - 7:05 pace at the moment.

As for Vo2 max pace, doesn't this also depend on the distance (i.e. I tend to do 12x400m, 8x800m, 6x1200m, 4x1600m sessions, so target pace for these varies currently and I'm never sure how hard they should be either!)

Cheers
Damo
 Roadrunner5 16 Oct 2015

Most of your aerobic gains come in the first 75-90 mins of training so after 2:30-3:00 of training the benefits get less and the risks get greater (injury and recovery).

By running progressive long runs you shift that tiredness feeling you normally get after 22 miles back to the 15-16 miles point. Go out and do 10 comfortable, build for 3, then the last 3-5 miles ramp it up to marathon pace.

The main thing is the S in LSD isn't slow, its more steady than slow. I rarely run my long runs slower than 7 minute miles, certainly never slower than 7:30 pace. Normally in the 6:40-6:50 pace range. You should still be able to talk but not too comfortably and not for too long.

Roadrunner5 16 Oct 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:
1600 is probably too long for vo2 max tbh, especially for slower runners. For vo2 max its generally between 2:30-5 minutes of effort, so even for me at 5:20 pace I'd only do vO2 max workouts at 800-1000m generally, maybe 1200's but never 1600. The rest is roughly matched or a bit less. I typically do 800's with 400 jog recovery which comes out about 90% of my effort time.

There's no real need to run much under 5k pace when training v02 max. Just more or longer at that pace. So if your 5k (race) pace is 6:30 run 5 x 1 k at that pace. there are gains from doing shorter sprint work, form, function etc, so I'm not saying dont do it but you don't need to be hammering 400's with long rests as a distance runner.

re tempo, that's 1 hour at race pace. Not general run pace. I race 10 milers around 56 minutes so 5:35-5:40 pace, but I'll never hit that pace in training apart from in tempo sessions. With tempo as a rough guide its 1 min rest / mile. with 25-30 minutes at that effort. So 5 x 1 mile at 5:30 pace for me is 27-28 mins of effort with 4 x 1 min of rest between the efforts. Or 3,2,1 miles with 3 minutes and 2 minutes slow jog rest.

LT work shouldnt be that hard its 'comfortably hard' because theoretically you can run that pace for an hour, so dont hammer your first rep, probably run that slightly slower and keep the pacing solid. Your breathing should be balanced and steady, during vo2 max sessions it will be hard. I can feel when the minute is up during mile reps, its almost at the perfect point when I feel fairly recovered.
Post edited at 15:48
 mountainbagger 16 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Ah thanks ---- (I do know your real name from previous posting on this forum, but not sure if you want to remain anonymous?)

So, LT and Vo2 max are both types of interval sessions (or have I misread your post)? LT not so hard, but shorter rests (i.e. 1 minute), Vo2 harder but with matched rests? I do intervals once a week but it seems I've been pretty much doing Vo2 max but with rests that are too short. I also do "tempo" (well, that's what I call them!) runs (i.e. constant pace, no rests, of between 3 and 10 miles) once a week. Not sure how to pace those either!

Damo
 Roadrunner5 16 Oct 2015

Tempo is LT really,

There are two main types of intervals LT and vO2 max,

Tempo runs provide a similar benefit but are more continuous and longer, often slightly slower.
In reply to Roadrunner5:

That's very close to my current thinking.

I want to work out something like x miles at 10:00 followed by y miles at 9:00 with the total time of 2:30. I know I can do 16-17 at 9:00 before I start to fade so will do some sums and experimentation.

Maybe just running for 2:30 at 9:00/mi would work?
 Rich_cakeboy 16 Oct 2015

How did you get 21 mins?
Was using naive working out:
1.5 miles in 9 min 40 sec
2xthis is 3 miles in 19min 20 sec.
So you're going to do 3.1 miles or 5 k in under 20 mins. Yes it's no accounting for how people slow down naturally... Anyway just grumpy about your maths
 Tom Valentine 17 Oct 2015
In reply to hamsforlegs:

Sorry, probably talking about my 1/2 marathon training.
 DancingOnRock 17 Oct 2015

> How did you get 21 mins?

> Was using naive working out:

> 1.5 miles in 9 min 40 sec

> 2xthis is 3 miles in 19min 20 sec.

> So you're going to do 3.1 miles or 5 k in under 20 mins. Yes it's no accounting for how people slow down naturally... Anyway just grumpy about your maths

I can run a mile in 5:58. My 5k is 23:45.
 mountainbagger 17 Oct 2015

> Yes it's no accounting for how people slow down naturally...

Exactly. I think Nick was using maths which does

> I can run a mile in 5:58. My 5k is 23:45.

That's a really good mile time relative to your 5k PB isn't it? Even accounting for a bit of natural slowdown?
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Tempo is LT really,

> There are two main types of intervals LT and vO2 max,

> Tempo runs provide a similar benefit but are more continuous and longer, often slightly slower.

Thanks for the advice again! You're a star
 The New NickB 17 Oct 2015

> How did you get 21 mins?

> Was using naive working out:

> 1.5 miles in 9 min 40 sec

> 2xthis is 3 miles in 19min 20 sec.

> So you're going to do 3.1 miles or 5 k in under 20 mins. Yes it's no accounting for how people slow down naturally... Anyway just grumpy about your maths

It was an approximation based on the fact that people do slow down as they run further. Look up Purdy Tables if you want to look at the maths of such a slow down.

> That's a really good mile time relative to your 5k PB isn't it? Even accounting for a bit of natural slowdown?

It does seem that way. I never run flat out miles, as I only run them in training in sets with short recovery, so never much quicker that 5:40. I've got a 5k PB of 18:29. Doing more track work and getting faster at 800s and miles would probably improve my 5k, but there is more to my running than just improving my 5k.
 wbo 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks: but improving your 5k would likely improve every other distance. If you want to run anything up to marathon if you can't run a decent 5k (for you) then you're going to struggle to improve

In reply to wbo:

> but improving your 5k would likely improve every other distance. If you want to run anything up to marathon if you can't run a decent 5k (for you) then you're going to struggle to improve

I assume that is aimed at me rather than the OP. I know!

It's probably not too accurate as the mile is a track time which is basically hold on for 6minutes. The 5k is a parkrun which requires a bit more of a strategy.
 Oli 17 Oct 2015
> That was actually the bet- £10 I couldn't do the Parachute Regiment basic fitness test. Which according to my mate is that run in sub 9:40, 50 press ups in sub 2 minutes, 50 sit ups in sub 2 minutes and 7 pull ups. Not sure I believe him, but that felt comfortable.

Pretty sure the initial run at P-Coy is a sub 9.30 mile and a half over quite a hilly course.

> It's probably not too accurate as the mile is a track time which is basically hold on for 6minutes. The 5k is a parkrun which requires a bit more of a strategy.

I'd have a go at simplifying the strategy and just trying to run 6:30 minute miles for as long as you can, you might surprise yourself.

I have just seen that you do VO2 sessions at 6:50, I've got to say your numbers confuse me. The sub 6 mile, seems a huge outlier.
Post edited at 11:32

It does. And I need to have a good sit down with someone who knows what they're talking about. Most conversations are while we're doing easy runs and with too many different people who just repeat what you read in the magazines.

As I say my sprint is fast but I think due to health issues the endurance isn't and may never be.

> As I say my sprint is fast but I think due to health issues the endurance isn't and may never be.

A mile isn't a sprint though, in many ways a fast mile is the ultimate CV challenge. Obviously I don't know your specific health issues and what limitations these put on you, but the difference in pace is startling.

Thanks. I'll have to take stock of where I am. Something isn't quite right.
 mountainbagger 18 Oct 2015

Good idea - I'm looking forward to hearing about you smashing that 5k PB! Post back when you have!
 DancingOnRock 18 Oct 2015

Ah. Well, I thundered round a 5mile cross country today at 8:15/mile average. Some steep hills. But I suspect I just don't have the drive to hang on and push hard when I'm knackered.

Maybe it's a psychological issue. I know what 'comfortably hard' feels like and as the race progresses stepping out of that zone is tough.

Considering I ran 5.2miles @7:40 as an even pace 20/20 on Thursday.

Last time I got to this stage I did one of those mad workout classes which taught me what 'hard' really means.

Hmm, tricky one. Race nerves? Too tired on race day (i.e. not tapering enough/correctly)? Not used to running at time of day the race is at? Eating to close to start of race? Could be anything! Also, now I'm 40 (well, it's been getting progressively worse last few years), I find my race performance is far less consistent, and I'm unable to train as hard - i.e. some sessions are just so appallingly bad I think I've lost it all! Then, suddenly, out of the blue, I get a PB in a half marathon. Go figure!

Fingers cross, the 10K in November I've got coming up is one of those races, and not one like I had earlier in the year when I stumbled round about 3 minutes slower than my best

Good luck figuring out what the missing piece of the puzzle is

I suspect it's only 3 weeks since Nottingham Marathon. and yes 46 years old and all the other real life stuff I have to do.

Next week is Beachy Head marathon the I have two halfs the two following weeks. Beachy Head will not be raced, the first half will, the next half will be a trot round with friends.

Next proper race is another XC 22/11.

Beachy Head is awesome! I did it last year. I gather I was lucky with weather and conditions, but I thought it was much more enjoyable than all the road marathons I've done. Good luck

BTW, I would not be able to successfully race a half marathon just a week or two after a marathon, even if I'd taken it easy. My legs would simply be too tired! But that might just be me

Thanks. I think if I take it easy on Beachy Head I'll be recovered. I think the cutoff is 9hours and I've done that kind of marathon/ultra easily in well under that time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...