UKC

E-Climb Ice axes (Cryo M and P)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CaelanB 20 Oct 2015
Hello!

I'm looking into buying a pair of axes for myself for this coming season. I've looked around a lot of websites and manufacturers and have stumbled upon E-Climb. Their range of axes look really good, and they're about £25 cheaper per axe than anything else on the market. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with them and what they're like. I was looking into getting the Cryo M and P as they look like they'd be good for everything from steep ice to hard mixed to more walking/mountaineering things. Thanks!

HeMa 20 Oct 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

> ... E-Climb.... I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with them and what they're like.

Ramon should, as he's spancered by E-climb.
 thommi 20 Oct 2015
In reply to HeMa:

and paddy
 Alex Riley 20 Oct 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

You gonna sell me those monsters cheap if you're getting new axes?

They seem pretty solidly built and nice to swing from playing with them in the shop.
 PPP 20 Oct 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

> Their range of axes look really good, and they're about £25 cheaper per axe than anything else on the market.

https://www.totalaccessonline.co.uk/Products/Alpine-Equipment/Ice-Axes/Sing...

I got pair of these this summer (hence, limited experience in using them), but they performed quite well on the ice wall at Snow Factor. They look very damn similar to Petzl Quarks. Accessories are really cheap as well. For example, Quark's hammer is 35 pounds (on Needle Sports) compared to 8 pounds for Singing Rock one. I bought a set of dry picks (3 times cheaper than Quark replacements) straight away as well.

The build quality is super good, I just don't like the sandpaper-like upper grip as I am a little bit afraid it will ruin any pair of gloves very quickly. I am sure I could replace it, just didn't bother yet.
OP CaelanB 20 Oct 2015
In reply to Alex Riley:

The monsters weren't mine, they were borrowed from my friend Scott G. He doesn't use them though, he may be willing to sell them...
 Davey_HB 21 Oct 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

Afternoon - No experience with the E-Climb Axes but I did buy some of the Singing Rock Bandits (also mentioned in thie thread) lasy year (pair for £150) and took them climbing in Europe (France/Italy). My review can be found here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=609720

I also plan on taking these on my tirp in winter 2016 to Canada. Hopefully they will perform as well there but I guess time will tell.

DB
 Ramon Marin 22 Oct 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

Hi Caelan,

I'm sponsored by eclimb, but I'm genuinely think they are a great tool. It's certainly bombproof, I can totally testify that. But so are the DMMs, but not as versatile and they are more expensive. Also eclimb picks are the best out there in my view. There are details that could be improved, not a fan of the sandpaper either, but nothing that cant be sorted with a bit of customization. It's not like the tape on the nomics last that long anyways. All in all the Cryo i think it's a really good buy, solid build, loads of options for customization (grip rests, leashes, landyards, picks...) and really good value. I've broken a couple of nomics, bend many petzl picks, broken BD picks and seen many other tools fall apart, but my Cryos still going strong. But obviously everyones tastes are different, so it's down to you what sort of tool you think will fit your type of climbing.
 Ramon Marin 23 Oct 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

Eclimb has a 10% discount offer on now using the code FB102015 at check out
 stratandrew 23 Oct 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

I've got the Cryo's - M&P. I've used them in a limited way last season in both Scotland (some mixed, but mostly grade III ice, and Norway (mostly WI4). I've climbed with DMM Superflys (which i loved) for the previous 4 seasons - several routes at V - but I would say the Cryo's have significant advantages, most of which are explained very clearly on the website. Perhaps the least obvious is the geometry. the designers have achieved something truly remarkable with this axe which just isn't apparent until you actually use it.....it is GREAT for plunging in steep soft snow due to the virtually straight shaft (compared with a nomic or fusion) but also has incredible clearance on ice. As Ramon says, the picks are super confidence inspiring.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough - and no - i'm not sponsored!!

Andy
OP CaelanB 24 Oct 2015
In reply to CaelanB:

Well, thanks all for the advice. the 10% discount is the real kicker, when i finish my studying today I'll go and buy myself a pair! thanks again!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...