UKC

The Holmfirth Anthem - By The Watersons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 23 Oct 2015

Every year I go to somewhere where traditional Yorkshire/Ecclesfield carols are sung, by the families & relatives of people who've been singing them since the year dot, and coming across this reminded me of these carols and traditional songs, in fact I think this song has been sung in the past, but not for a long time.

youtube.com/watch?v=X8kyDJnt0lY&

It makes me feel nostalgic for simpler times, I think it's a beautiful song.
 veteye 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I actually recorded this as part of a choir from several local schools in Holmfirth Civic Hall when I was about 5-6 years of age. Sadly when my mother died she did not seem to have the EP still which also had such classics as "Once there was a dragon.."

I also for many years went to the Rag and Louse (Officially The Fountain) at Ingbirchworth, every boxing day, where the anthem was sung in amongst Whilst Shepherds watched, to seven different tunes(It was good not to have a good memory when you were well -oiled and yet know the words). Sadly when I last went to the pub the people working there knew nothing about it.
 Tom Valentine 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Pratty Flowers.
There was a pub in Crow Edge named after it but it's houses now....
 Tom Valentine 24 Oct 2015
In reply to veteye:

Any more good pub nicknames? Slavering Jacks's?
 John Ww 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Also now a private house. Never has the word "eclectic" been so apt to describe the aforementioned hostelry
JW
 Tom Valentine 25 Oct 2015
In reply to John Ww:

Expect a mini estate at the Flouch any time soon. So sad.
 Tom Valentine 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Timmd:

If you follow the Sheffield farmers' carol scene you might have seen Bill Noble.
Master Craftsman drystone waller, a real character and he has made the song "Mistletoe Bough" his own.
 John Ww 25 Oct 2015

Aye, the old Flouch Balti looks to be in a sorry state.
OP Timmd 25 Oct 2015

I don't but that sounds interesting. The people who lead the singing I go to are Black Bull regulars, in Ecclesfield.
 John Ww 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Despite being a lifelong heathen, I went to the carol singing at the Huntsman in Thurlstone last year. As my parents made me go to chapel until I was old enough to rebel, I thought I had a pretty encyclopedic knowledge of every hymn and carol tune ever written. This proved not to be the case - there wasn't a single song I recognised. 'Appen ah mun be a cummerinner!

JW
Removed User 25 Oct 2015

He closes the Shepley folk festival, where I live, with a solo number every year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...