UKC

which winter tyres for roadbike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris fox 28 Oct 2015
As the title says, looking at some winter training tyres for my roadbike. Never put any on before so wondering which to look at, 700c x 26 or 32 ? mainly just for doing rides up to 2hrs in time.
I've looked at something like the Schwalbe Marathon
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-smartguard-rigid-road-tyre/

any input please
 Dark-Cloud 28 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

Continental Gatorskin 25mm are a good bet, come up bigger than most 25mm.
 Dave B 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Once they're on they're great. But I cry trying to fit them. 25s can be a tight fit with smaller mudguards. Still good.
 Dark-Cloud 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave B:

I think its wheel dependent, they fit no problem on Fulcrums, not used a tyre lever to get them on or off......
 elsewhere 28 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:
I just got 700 x 28 bontrager aw1 hard case lite tyre.
Currently £20 at evans.

I've commuted on a slicker version Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase 700 x 28
One puncture in 4500 miles.
 felt 28 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

I've got Conti GP 4 Seasons 25s. Came highly recommended but they puncture a lot, maybe once per 200 miles, probably more; in fact got one only yesterday at the top of Haytor. Having said that, I do believe much comes down to luck, and there's a lot of flint where I usually ride. The wet makes things worse; my Rubino Pro slick 23s on the summer bike haven't had one in nearly 1k miles. Mad.
 cragrat 29 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus are very puncture resistant. They are also quite heavy and can be a pig to fit.
In reply to chris fox:

I ride Rubino pros on my summer and winter bikes. Very rarely get a p*nct*re. Frame / mudguard clearances are pretty tight on the hack so I have to stick to 23s.
 Indy 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Continental Gatorskin 25mm are a good bet, come up bigger than most 25mm.

Hardshell
 AJM 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:

I got some of the gatorhardshell ones for my commute bike after a spell of punctures on my previous set, and haven't had one since. They were a pig to get on/off though so that's a good thing!
MarkM 29 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

SChwalbe Marathon plus would be v puncture resistant but the Marathon supreme are quite a bit lighter and also excellent puncture resistance (have used mine for several 1000 K with 1 puncture)

Cheers
Mark
 The New NickB 29 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

I'd check if you can get 32s on, I have decent clearance on my winter bike (Cannondale Synapse), but 32s definitely don't fit.
OP chris fox 29 Oct 2015

Thanks for all the replies, plenty for me to look into. I've an old Giant ocr zero and just got some crud road racer guards as it's not got integrated attachments.

Looking at all the advice i think the Marathon's are too heavy, so will look at all the alternatives.

Cheers

Chris

elsewhere 29 Oct 2015
In reply to elsewhere:
> I've commuted on a slicker version Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase 700 x 28
> One puncture in 4500 miles.

Still plenty of wear left in them too as far as I can see.

IMA 29 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

Vittoria Rubino pro for a bargain as a 25mm. I have been using Open Pave but they can get cut up and are expensive. So unless you don't care about running costs or will take the grip/comfort with the price I'd question the road you use. is it loaded with flint or clean.
 wilkesley 30 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

I use the 25mm Durano Plus all year round. Lighter than Marathons and so far after one year no punctures, except on caused by a spoke. Just got through about a month of hedge cuttings on the road. The foldable ones are more expensive, but very easy to put on.
 FrankBooth 30 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

I ran Gatorskins last winter but found the sidewalls got damaged really easily (both had to be binned in the spring). On one trip I went over a submerged cattle grid and managed to double puncture them. Also, they're not all that grippy. This year, I'm running 28mm Marathons on my Genesis CdF, and giving 25mm Schwalbe Luganos a go on my wife's bike.
 neuromancer 30 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:
I would check but I've had two pairs of crud road racers and they rarely have much room for anything above a fat 25cc (like a Michelin pro 4).

If you don't have any other guards and you don't want to buy raceblades then I would go for conti 4 seasons in 25 and some slightly thicker tybes.

One thing to consider is that winter also = slippier roads and so the further down the 'hard compound long lasting no punctures' route you go the less grip you will have. Also it sounds stupid and you may know this but for road tyres indented tread patterns don't actually do a whole lot due to tyre pressures and deformation.
Post edited at 10:42
 LastBoyScout 30 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

I have had Rubino somethings with Kevlar on my hack bike for years - I've only ever had 1 puncture and that was a snake bite from an abysmal attempt at hopping up a curb.

Commuter has a set of Gomme Italia things on it that came out a box of random bits I picked up - only had 1, maybe 2 punctures in them, although there are a few cuts in the tread.

The back one is pretty squared off now, so when they give in I will replace them with the Panaracer Extreme Dura ones that actually came with the bike, if they haven't perished by now.

Make sure you keep them pumped up pretty hard.
 nutme 30 Oct 2015
For last 8 years I am going with same bold tyres all year long. Now it's been 21mm for few years.
That's the point of changing? If there's going to be snow on the road it doesn't matter that tyres you have you are not getting anywhere.
 ripper 30 Oct 2015
In reply to FrankBooth:

I ran Schwalbe Luganos last winter without a single puncture - not a 'winter specific' tyre as such but seem pretty robust to me
 the sheep 30 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:
i have marathon plus on my cx commute bike. Had them on for 2 years, cycling through all the seasons and no punctures yet. Very reliable and recommended
 CurlyStevo 31 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

I find the marathon plus slip quite easily on wet ground. I'm thinking of getting something with more grip for winter commuting.
Rigid Raider 31 Oct 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Then do yourself a favour and buy a pair of Veloflex Open Corsas from Ribble for £52; you'll never want another tyre. The Veloflex are superbly comfortable, superbly grippy thanks to a natural rubber tread and a "file" texture and they make the bike feel really planted and secure, especially on wet greasy tarmac. They are no more or less prone to punctures than any other tyre. Use them with latex tubes for a really smooth, fast ride.
 jethro kiernan 31 Oct 2015
In reply to chris fox:

See if there are any deals on panaracer gravel kings, got me through a winter no punctures and are good for another winter.

http://road.cc/content/review/135369-panaracer-gravel-king-tyres
 Dogwatch 02 Nov 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

> I use the 25mm Durano Plus all year round. Lighter than Marathons and so far after one year no punctures, except on caused by a spoke. Just got through about a month of hedge cuttings on the road. The foldable ones are more expensive, but very easy to put on.

Yep. Bought a pair because I was getting frequent punctures and haven't had one since. Easy to put on compared to other tyres I've had. Not the lightest tyre around but I really hate punctures, especially when it's cold.
 JamButty 02 Nov 2015
In reply to chris fox:

Topical thread for me, currently run Vittoria Rubino slicks, but have just found a 0.5" tear on the surface of one so need to replace it.
Knowing bugger all about tyres, do people normally run a winter tyre and a summer tyre, or is there an all rounder that people use all year round?

Good to read the comments as its helping with my decision making

Ta
Rigid Raider 11 Nov 2015
In reply to chris fox:

Veloflex. One tyre for all seasons. Sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...