UKC

Cairngorms snow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Welsh Kate 28 Oct 2015
Heading up to Aviemore on Friday for a long weekend. Anyone know if there's any lying snow yet, and if so what sort of conditions? Thanks
 OwenM 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Couldn't see any from the road on Monday, the weather isn't looking too bad for the weekend maybe a bit windy that's all.
 george mc 28 Oct 2015
In reply to OwenM:

15degrees+ at Glenmore Lodge today and plus 10 on the summit. No snow cover and set to stay warm and mild for a week or so yet. Warmer today that it was most times in the summer!
OP Welsh Kate 28 Oct 2015
In reply to george mc:
Thanks, guys, the winter kit can stay at home then!
Post edited at 23:47
OP Welsh Kate 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Garbhanach:

Yep, thanks - I tried the Cairngorm Mountain webcams last night but it was dark and I couldn't find a way to access earlier images
 Billhook 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

And just because there's new snow on the ground doesn't necessarily mean you need to lug - axes & crampons!
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Tiny spots of new-ish snow in a few hollows on the Macdui plateau yesterday, but unless it's snowed since then you'll find nothing else. Except for the occasional mega snow patch left over from last winter (all in inaccessible places; you've no need to walk on them if you don't want )
 george mc 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

It's still warm here - temps on the summit of Cairngorm are +8 degrees with it due to get even warmer by Monday. Winter a wee ways away yet, sadly.

http://cairngormweather.eps.hw.ac.uk/current.htm
OP Welsh Kate 03 Nov 2015
In reply to george mc:

Yeah, the essential item of kit was the suncream! Perfect conditions, cloudless skies and fantastic views
 BnB 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Hope the good weather wasn't too much of a disappointment. I feel the plateau only really comes into its own in full-on winter
 CurlyStevo 04 Nov 2015
In reply to BnB:

I really like the plateau in summer especially all the various glens and lochs and the views down to them etc.
OP Welsh Kate 04 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I find I like the Cairngorms in any season, tbh. I love the feeling of desolation the winter can bring, but am amazed by the way green explodes into life when the snow melts. Perfect weather - whatever the season - can never be a disappointment, though it would get boring if it was always that perfect!
 BnB 04 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yes it is a lovely area at any time of year and I always enjoy the native pine forests and the tundra, as well as the softness of the glens and their genteel settlements. But the west coast has my heart.

I had a couple of days in the Cairngorms just ten days ago and revelled in snow on Macdhui and a storm force wind on Lochnagar. But as I drove past Cluanie Dam on my way to Skye and the shapely Glen Shiel Munros reared up on all sides, it was my spirit that soared with them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...