UKC

Best Garmin for running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robyn Vacher 30 Oct 2015
I have tried different brands of GPS running watches and now want to come back to Garmin. I don't use the heart rate monitor and my needs are pretty simple - I just use the standard running functions. Budget is about £100 - what could you please recommend for me?

I ONLY want Garmin recommendations please. Thanks.
 echo34 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Robyn Vacher:
Forerunner 10

I use one, its quite basic, pace, calories, time, distance. It records your records too, and you can upload your tack onto a pc to see where you went. I find it quite useful for training, I mostly just use the distance and pace functions. You can get them for around £60-70

The battery lasts about 6 hours in GPS mode.
Post edited at 12:44
Robyn Vacher 30 Oct 2015
In reply to echo34:

Thanks. How quickly does it get a satellite connection? That's the only thing I've found frustrating with Garmins in the past.
 echo34 30 Oct 2015

It varies depending on where you are. some times it takes about 5 minutes, other times its almost instant. I've never really found it to be inconvenient, if its not connected by the time I'm at the start of my run, I just walk around for a minute or two until its done. There's a progress bar on the screen, which gives you a vague idea of how long you have to wait. Once its got a connection it maintains it well, I have never had it lose signal.
 DancingOnRock 30 Oct 2015
Get a second hand 220.

The satellite location time has been fixed for all Garmins. There's a firmware upgrade which includes locality information.
Post edited at 13:22
 DancingOnRock 30 Oct 2015

The 610 is £99 on Amazon for the next couple of hours. Quick.
 Roadrunner5 30 Oct 2015

I'd get the forerunner 10. I think its a lovely basic watch. Non-complicated, does what it is meant to, cheap, easy interface.
 tony 30 Oct 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> The 610 is £99 on Amazon for the next couple of hours. Quick.

I wouldn't recommend the 610 - it's bloody irritating.
 plyometrics 30 Oct 2015

I second the votes for the forerunner 10, particularly given your budget.

Simple, easy to use, does what it says on the tin.

I can't imagine the number of people who get sucked into buying all the bells and whistles, only to end up using / recording the basic metrics of time, distance, av pace, pace etc.

I use the 10 and don't struggle with satellite signal, although previous Garmins, I agree, had connection lag.
 Rampikino 30 Oct 2015

I have a Vivoactive with various bells and whistles. I'm a real fan but I believe it's outside your price range unless you can pick one up second hand.

I was fortunate to be able to offset the price by trading in some fitbits and having a discount code - the bells and whistles ended up costing me £20.

I like the interface, the adaptability and the fact it is so light. It has excellent battery life.
 goldmember 30 Oct 2015
Does the garmin 10 have a hr monitor?
 plyometrics 31 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

No.
 jethro kiernan 31 Oct 2015

the 10 is a good no frills watch, however the strap isn't very robust I borrowed my wife's and the strap went at the pin (admittedly I had put it under a swim cap for measuring swimming)
 Auz 31 Oct 2015

If you want HR functionality then look at the forerunner 15:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=garmin+forerunner+15

Should be in your price range and has pretty good reviews.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...