UKC

Spooky hills for Halloween

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
If I didn't have trick-or-treating duties I might be tempted to spend tomorrow night up a hill. Any supposedly haunted ones I've missed off this list? http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=7855
 Simon Caldwell 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

No match for crag id:11806
 Ramblin dave 30 Oct 2015

You could go up Bleaklow and keep an eye out for the Longdendale Lights...
 Tom Last 30 Oct 2015
Hound Tor I'd have thought, though it's not really a hill and there are much spookier placed on Dartmoor.
Post edited at 16:18
 Mark Collins 30 Oct 2015

Great how the mystery lives on, even though the Grey Man incident has been from what I can gather, well and truly resolved.
In reply to Mark Collins:

Indeed; it's weird how the big Grey Man keeps getting trotted out even after UKH exclusively revealed him to be a hoax, with help from renowned period mountaineering expert Alex Roddie: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=67954
 Roadrunner5 30 Oct 2015

I thought the carnedd Dafydd and Llewelyn were meant to give off voices.

However the quarries always shit me up. The scariest part of my winter paddy buckley was going up through them in darkness on my own..
 Lankyman 30 Oct 2015

> Any supposedly haunted ones ?

Souther Fell has a spectral army which manoeuvres on top - this was definitely seen, so no 'supposedly' about it, Dan!

'26 sober and respected witnesses were assembled to view the proceedings and later testified on oath to what they had seen. The next day Souther Fell was climbed and not a footprint was found on the soft ground of the ridge' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souther_Fell

In reply to Ramblin dave:

Interesting, I'd not heard of those. Might take more than that to entice me into climbing Bleaklow though
In reply to Lankyman: That's a good one

In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Is there a story about how it got its name Simon? I always assumed it was just pointy like a witch's hat
Post edited at 16:34
 petegunn 30 Oct 2015

Glaramara, Borrowdale
The screaming lady!?
 leon 1 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Kinder apparently has a mythical frozen waterfall that some claim to have seen

Brass Nipples 30 Oct 2015

The Roman camp below Bryn Mawr. Camp there if you want a spooky experience
 Ridge 30 Oct 2015
In reply to petegunn:
> Glaramara, Borrowdale

> The screaming lady!?

That's a new one on me, (heard the Souter Fell one a few times). What'so the story?

Apparently the pissed up chavs of Pendle Hill is an apparition that manifests at Halloween.
Post edited at 20:34
 Trangia 30 Oct 2015

Chanctonbury Ring - South Downs.

I camped there when I did the South Downs Way. At the time I knew nothing about it's spooky reputation, but even so felt uneasy being there and was glad to move on when dawn broke.
 Dave Hewitt 30 Oct 2015

There's also the years-ago story of the second-sight woman who apparently managed to guide rescuers towards a winter fatality on Beinn Achaladair after several weeks of more orthodox methods had failed.

I've never been spooked as such on those hills, but I know someone who saw a ghostly apparition at the ruined castle at Achallader farm. I also know someone who was spooked at Ben Alder Cottage despite being a sceptic and knowing that the story about McCook the keeper having killed himself there is reckoned to be tosh.

In Derbyshire, I'd dare anyone to go up to Mininglow. One of the creepiest ancient sites I've ever been to. In the depths of the night I photographed it from several hundred yards away, but would never have dared to have gone closer. It's spooky enough in broad daylight.

Nine Stones Circle, near Robin Hood's Stride, was surprisingly OK. I spent a whole long moonlit night there with my medium-format Hasselblad camera, surrounded by snorting and belching cows. They did a surprising amount of snorting but took absolutely no notice of me.
 Trangia 30 Oct 2015

How many of the oldies remember Jean's Hut, a bothy in Coire an Lochan in the 1960s/70s?

It has long since been demolished but was reputed to be haunted.

I once heard a story that following a double fatality in the Corie involving two climbers, the MR who had been called out late in the day and were close to being overtaken by darkness, had decided to leave the two corpses on bunks in the hut intending to retrieve them the next morning when they could return with more manpower to carry the two stretchers.

A walker who had traveled up to the Cairngorms later that day had walked out to the bothy and arrived just after midnight. By the light of a dimming torch he saw that two of the bunks were occupied, so taking care not to wake them he laid his sleeping bag out on an empty bunk and went to sleep. When he woke in the morning he thought his neighbours were surprisingly quiet, and it was only when he eventually got up that he discovered he had spent the night with two cadavers.

I don't know if that was based on truth but it was doing the rounds in the late 1960s.

In the 1960s I did once spend the night in an Austrian Alpine hut were local guides recovering a body left the stretcher, with the body still strapped in it, leaning up against the outside wall of the hut overnight.
 Dave Hewitt 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> How many of the oldies remember Jean's Hut, a bothy in Coire an Lochan in the 1960s/70s?

Hadn't heard the Jean's Hut story before, but the real oldies (not me) will remember when it was in Coire Cas before being shifted to Coire an Lochain.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2006/sep/29/mainsection.guardianletters1
 IanMcC 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave Hewitt:
Wow. Remember lunching in Jean's Hut on 4th May 1961,two days before my seventh birthday.
PS I think the psychic lady was in relation to Meall Buidhe a wee bit to the northeast of Achallader. All the older climbing routes have names related to this "supernatural" occurrence: "Eldritch, Mortal Coil, Voice Beyond, Echo Edge"
Post edited at 23:29
 crustypunkuk 30 Oct 2015
In reply to IanMcC:

I had the story in a book somewhere, but if you search on the mcofs website for 'the achallader letters' you'll get the tale of it all there!
 DaveHK 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> I've never been spooked as such on those hills, but I know someone who saw a ghostly apparition at the ruined castle at Achallader farm.

I remember reading that the troops that committed the Glen Coe massacre lodged there afterwards.
In reply to Trangia: I've heard the same story, but in that version it was the CiC Hut. 'Urban' myth perhaps?

Lankyman 31 Oct 2015

Fiends Fell http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4078708 Said fiends were banished there from Cross Fell by a priest.
 Dave Hewitt 31 Oct 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> I remember reading that the troops that committed the Glen Coe massacre lodged there afterwards.

I think the castle might have played some part in the planning, too. It's a good while ago, around 30 years, but my memory of the puzzling incident is that the person who saw it came out of the B&B to find the ruined castle illuminated by a bonfire and with various people she didn't know moving around. She checked again later and there was no sign of anything. Next day she mentioned it to the farmer who said something along the lines of "You're not the first to have seen that."
 d_b 31 Oct 2015

A couple of years ago I was vaguely considering making a cheesy ultra low budget horror movie about the grey man offing a load of climbers & walkers.

Climbers arrive, hear and dismiss ominous mutterings from deer stalkers about strange sights, walking group going missing on Ben Macdui etc.

First death was to be a mysterious figure rearing up and pushing a climber off the top of squareface. Night or two later (after everyone has decided it was just an accident) you would get the stereotypical victim pulled out of tent scene.

Scene: The howff under dividing buttress, or maybe the one over at garbh coire. Two climbers (probably couple) settle in for the night and bitch about midges. Suddenly a huge carpet covered arm reaches in, pulls one of them out, the other is sprayed with blood and organs. Flees. Doesn't get far.

A few more things of that ilk with a last stand/slaughter at bob scotts or slugain howff.

Other things to look out for: Gratuitous disregard of geography implying that all these places are both 3 days walk from safety and half an hour away from one another. Random seasonal changes and other continuity errors. That kind of thing.

Maybe I should get my arse in gear and write the script.
 Tom Valentine 31 Oct 2015

Don't know about haunted but Pendle Hill has got some relevant history.
 Lankyman 31 Oct 2015

The moors around Noon Hill http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3857177 above Rivington are supposed to be haunted by a headless horseman.
 Dave Musgrove 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Trangia:

As a teenager I spent 24 hours trapped in a blizzard in Jean's Hut with another young friend and the Late fell runner Eric Beard. Beardie kept us amused most of the time telling us ghost stories and singing folk songs. A few months later Beardie was tragically killed on the M6 whilst hitch-hiking home.
 Bulls Crack 31 Oct 2015

Not a hill but walked up Trollers Ghyll this morning..the home of, as I'm sure many of you know, The Barguest.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/north-yorkshire/folklore/troller...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...