UKC

Using an indoor wall unsupervised

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Durkules 30 Oct 2015
My workplace (a university) has recently opened a new sports centre, which contains a top-rope/lead wall and bouldering wall. The only use it seems to be getting at the moment is some 'learn-to-climb' sessions being run in the evening. I'd love to have access to the wall at lunchtimes / before work to get some training in. However the staff running the centre don't seem to be keen on allowing people to use it without an instructor being present (who doesn't work at the centre full-time, but comes in to take the sessions).

Does anyone have experience of a similar set-up, and are you able to use the facilities unsupervised? I know you sign to climb 'unsupervised' at climbing walls normally, but there are (I assume) always qualified staff present in the building - does this make a difference?
 SenzuBean 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Durkules:

I would imagine it would depend on the details of their insurance contract - i.e. they might only be insured if a qualified staff member is present (for example to guarantee a first aider is present, or for someone to rescue people who've gotten stuck). I would've thought that if they have staff there at all times (even if out of line of sight, but in earshot), then this requirement would be met... maybe their staff are just lacking these qualifications since they're a new wall?
 Andy Say 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Durkules:

I would guess that there is a risk assessment / operating procedures in place that says that all groups must be supervised by an approved staff member. And the staff will be aware of that.

You need to find out who actually 'manages' the wall and put a case to them with regard to individual use. Use the standard 'sign-in' form used by most commercial walls as a means of reassuring them that it isn't unknown for individuals to use walls

Many walls allow unsupervised use but, at the end of the day, its their wall - its their rules.
 Richard Wilson 30 Oct 2015
Get qualified as an instructor?

climber david 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Durkules:

try to find out if the university has a climbing club or some variant who may have a deal set up? I know your not a student but some student clubs have allowances for university staff to join clubs
 Sealwife 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Durkules: A wall should have a "technical advisor." Find out who they are and ask them what their view is of you using it.

john arran 31 Oct 2015
In reply to Durkules:

If I were you I would contact the BMC Climbing Wall Officer, who should be able to advise you. It may be that there is already an ongoing dialogue with the university or sports centre but if not they may be able to start one either personally or via a BMC area rep, which is likely to have more impact than any approach you can make as an individual.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...