UKC

5 minute mile at 45 - achievable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 01 Nov 2015
I've set myself an ambitious target of running a sub 5 minute mile next year, and I'm after some advice from UKC's running gnus.

I ran a 4:40 when I was 21 and training intermittently through constant injury for the 400. I could run 11.6 for the 100 and 52.2 for the 400. Since I started running again in August I've twice run a mile in 6:33 and just did a 24:14 5k (which involved breezing the first mile in about 7 minutes and then dying on my arse). I've been running 3 times a week, except when injured, but I think I could up that to 4 times a week because I seem to be getting a bit more robust.

I turn 45 next week, and would like to know whether folks think my ambition is achievable or not, and any advice that may assist. It's not the end of the world if I don't do it - I shall enjoy and benefit from the process.

Thanks in advance.
 wbo 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu: Well it isn't going to be easy. You clearly have some speed - I have never been able to run those short times that fast , and certainly nothing near them with any regularity. However the fact your mile pb was not fast in comparism (my 400 is 58, my mile 4.08... so reverse problem)

5 is a long way from 6.30 and your 5k is not very promising. 4 sessions a week is not many for this either
To be blunt , are you in good shape for your age? Really?
Do you live somewhere large where there are people to train with?
If you went to the track tomorrow and ran 600, what sort of time would you do (with the 400 split)
Or even better, go to the track and do 4 * 400, with 200 jog and come back with the times.

I dont want that to sound harsh - I don't think it's impossible but it will likely be a bunch of work. There are ways to make it easier tho'

Mick Ward 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I don't know about running but... today I did my first V6 in 13 years. I'll be 63 tomorrow. I got world-class coaching, shed loads of beta, an enormity of encouragement but - bottom line - I still had to fight for it and fight hard. First proper go, I fell off the last move. Next go, I slapped for the crucial sloper, missed, slapped again, got it and pressed on to the move I'd been spat off before. And through that, to top out.

How much do you want it? It's not over till you want it to be over.

Good luck!

Mick
 Oli_31 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I fancy a go at this too sometime. Sadly by the time I get round to it it'll probably be too late and i'll be disappointed!

Plently of good advice and training plans out there http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/the-7-key-ingredients-of-mile-training...
 steveriley 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I aint a coach and old and slow ...it'll be a tall hill to climb. Here's a note of encouragement though - fastest vet in our club was very swift as a junior. Gave up for close to 30 years. He's doing 16 something for 5k now and nationally ranked 5&10k. So good genes, train like a nutjob, be lucky with injury and perhaps a tailwind
cb294 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> ... UKC's running gnus.

Typo of the year?

CB
OP Yanis Nayu 02 Nov 2015
In reply to cb294:

> Typo of the year?

> CB

Nope, it was deliberate
In reply to wbo:

Thanks for the reply. I need to do more basic conditioning before I start caning the intervals, otherwise I'll just get injured. I'm hoping a bit of wisdom and patience accrued in old age will offset some of the dicrepitude))) I might go down the track though a week Wednesday and either try for a mile in the low 6s or see where I'm at with 400m.
In reply to Mick Ward:

Fair play! I don't think wanting it will be the problem, it'll be staying on the right side of injured that will be the key.

It's inspirational to see folks nearly 20 years older still pushing it!
In reply to Oli_31:

Cheers, I'll have a read through later.
cb294 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I just had this vision of a thousand lycra clad beasts thundering along the Stanage causeway, kicking up dust....

CB
In reply to SteveRi:

That's a good story. I don't think I'm aging too badly, but I suspect that it's harder to maintain speed over the shorter distances as you get older. I certainly haven't got the physiology to run a 16 minute 5k!
 FallingUp 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I run ultramarathons (slowly) and have been known to do the occasional 5k parkrun. I regularly do the parkrun in between 20 and 21 minutes, which i guess is getting close to a 6 minute mile (on trail) (i've never timed myself on a mile and if it wasn't for parkrun, wouldn't bother with 5ks either). For the sake of argument, let's call my 5k time a 6 minute mile. To run a 5 minute mile, id' have to run faster by 1/6th - that is, a 16-17 minute 5k. To me, the jump from 20-21 to 16-17 is so extreme you might as well be telling to jump to the moon. For you to go from 24.5 to 16-17 equivalent in the 5k is so extreme that unless you are willing to go to ludicrous lengths in training to achieve this, I can't see it being achievable if 24.5 is your "real" current time and not just your first run after not running in a while.

That said, don't listen to the naysayers including myself. Train like you can make it and dance like nobody's watching. Why the hell not.

Good luck!
 The New NickB 02 Nov 2015
In reply to FallingUp:

6 minute miles for 5k is 18:36, someone running that sort of pace, could probably run a single mile close to 5 minutes with some specific training, although they may come up a little short. Most guys running sub 17 minute 5k (5:29 minute miles) will probably find sub 5 fairly comfortable I.e. they could do one without specifically training for it.
 FallingUp 02 Nov 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

You're right about the maths. But remember I was referring to 5k on twisty trail - transferring this to road gets you a speed boost and then to track probably even further. I can, with effort, run a 3:45 pace kilometer when pressed - but 3 minutes? can't see that happening no matter how much i train. (i'm being loose with the exact values since this is all this discussion asks for i think).

But more to the point, at age 40 i find that my muscles having changed from the ones that go fast to the ones that go long distances. To give some idea, my half marathon splits are not much slower than my 5k splits and even my marathon pace is only a bit slower. True, i am a rank amateur and good coaching would make me a smarter and more efficient runner - that goes without saying. But by the same token, i concur that all but maniacally extreme training make our poster's 5 minute mile pace overly ambitious.

XXXX 02 Nov 2015
In reply to FallingUp:
All my experience of distance running tells me it will be impossible. However, I have no idea about sprinting. The OP is clearly built for speed, not endurance and therefore extrapolating from 5k times is unhelpful. A mile isn't very far.

As for you, I also used to think I wasn't built to go fast and my half, 10k and 5k paces were only 15 secs per mile different. Half pb was and still is 86' and for a long time my fastest 10k was the second half of that race. Then I was diagnosed with asthma and my 10k is down from low 40s to sub 39 and I've gone sub 19 for 5k. Worth a check if you are bothered by it. No extra training

Also, my park run times are only about 15-20 seconds slower than road
Post edited at 15:49
 JimR 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'm 59 and started running again about a year ago, albeit with 6 months off in the middle due to sore knee I started off with 12 minute miles, but my parkrun times are now sub 23, and did a recent 10K at 47:01, I'm wondering if I can get to sub 20 5k's and even better sub 40 10k's?

Any advice on how to get there appreciated!

Or is pie in the sky at my age
 Nutkey 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
> I've set myself an ambitious target of running a sub 5 minute mile next year, and I'm after some advice from UKC's running gnus.

> I ran a 4:40 when I was 21 and training intermittently through constant injury for the 400. I could run 11.6 for the 100 and 52.2 for the 400. Since I started running again in August I've twice run a mile in 6:33 and just did a 24:14 5k (which involved breezing the first mile in about 7 minutes and then dying on my arse).

If you were to run 5 minutes age 45, you'd have a WAVA of 81.5%. Your 4:40 when you were 21 was worth 79.8%.

That's not completely out of the bounds of possibility, the times I'm getting now are, much to my surprise, getting me higher WAVAs than I was getting 10 years ago to the tune of 1 or 2%, despite having three young kids, limited sleep, and limited training. Though my best mile is a good 40 seconds off yours...

However, you aren't going to get to 5 minutes without getting to 6 minutes first. And if you can get to 5 minutes, you ought to be able to get to 6 minutes trivially, unless you have a whole lot of weight to lose!
Post edited at 16:29
In reply to JimR:

Sounds like you have made your initial big improvement, which doesn't mean you can't get faster, but that it will probably be quite hard work and may require a look at your training.

What sort of training do you do?

JimR 02 Nov 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

I do two 6 mile runs per week at 9 minutes/mile, two 3 mile runs per week at c8 minutes/mile and eithher a parkrun or a 10K at the weekend.
In reply to Mick Ward:

Well done Mick! What V6 was it?!
jthet 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

As a fellow 40 something you have my deepest respect. Go for it - it's all about the journey. And if your journey is similar to mine you will find what you have lost in speed you will gain in stamina. My only worry would be pushing it too quickly. But go for it!

wbo 02 Nov 2015
In reply to FallingUp: Let's be blunt, you have probably trained yourself to run slowly, If you spend all your timing getting the miles in, and nothing on specific speedwork what do you expect? It would be interesting for you to spend a few months getting ready for a 5k to see how much you improved.

It would help your 1/2 as well I suspect

Phil Murray 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I think its a very tall order to achieve a sub 5 min mile. I'm a successful vet age 51, with 18.10 5k this year & 37.42 10k lastyear. I tried, on a track, to run one km at my best ever 10k pace - 3.12, my best being 31.58 in 1991, but I failed misearbly & painfully-3.18, & agony. As mentioned before, the legs dont go fast anymore; tho they can go on for a while at a reasonable pace....

My best mile was 4.34.5, in 1989. Did the earlier poster mean 4.08 for the mile, or 1500m, btw? If he did 400m in 58, 4.08 would be a major struggle for 4 laps....

My best 5km was 15.37 on the road, 15.26 track, & my best 1km a ridiculous 2.39, but I know I'll never runa 5minute mile again!! Be interested to hear how you get on...
KyleJake 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Wow that was pretty awesome.

I wonder if you're part with half marathon training programs?

=====================

http://www.trainforamarathon.info/
In reply to Nutkey:

The WAVA thing is a good way of looking at it, and gives some encouragement!
In reply to FallingUp:

> I run ultramarathons (slowly) and have been known to do the occasional 5k parkrun. I regularly do the parkrun in between 20 and 21 minutes, which i guess is getting close to a 6 minute mile (on trail) (i've never timed myself on a mile and if it wasn't for parkrun, wouldn't bother with 5ks either). For the sake of argument, let's call my 5k time a 6 minute mile. To run a 5 minute mile, id' have to run faster by 1/6th - that is, a 16-17 minute 5k. To me, the jump from 20-21 to 16-17 is so extreme you might as well be telling to jump to the moon. For you to go from 24.5 to 16-17 equivalent in the 5k is so extreme that unless you are willing to go to ludicrous lengths in training to achieve this, I can't see it being achievable if 24.5 is your "real" current time and not just your first run after not running in a while.

> That said, don't listen to the naysayers including myself. Train like you can make it and dance like nobody's watching. Why the hell not.

> Good luck!

I think we would be coming at it from the opposite direction - I'd be running fast enough and trying to hang on, whereas you'd be trying to run fast enough. I certainly lack endurance, although I'm not sure my 24:14 park run is representative, as I run easy 3 miles on the road only 11 seconds per mile slower, and I've felt like shit since I did it. I think 23:30 is more like it. It's still really slow though.

I'm hoping / anticipating getting below 6 minutes for the mile in the next few weeks. If I struggle to do that I think the whole thing is doomed, but I'll still give it a go.

It will be interesting to see how much speed I've still got, but I'm going easy with that as it will present my biggest injury risk. I got second on a sprint strava segment in the summer, so I guess I've still got something in my legs. It's just a case of co-ordinating it for running.

Thanks to all for the comments / advice / encouagement!
In reply to JimR:

> I'm 59 and started running again about a year ago, albeit with 6 months off in the middle due to sore knee I started off with 12 minute miles, but my parkrun times are now sub 23, and did a recent 10K at 47:01, I'm wondering if I can get to sub 20 5k's and even better sub 40 10k's?

> Any advice on how to get there appreciated!

> Or is pie in the sky at my age

You're not Jim Ryan are you?
 JimR 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Not me!

Apologies, I'll start another thread!
In reply to JimR:

No, stay on here - the more the merrier!

And fair play on such a good 5k!
In reply to JimR:

I'd look at some more structured training. Two things stand out from what you do now, nothing over 10k and no speed work. You need the longer runs to build up endurance, at least a couple of miles longer than your longest race distance and you need to get used to running faster than you race 5k at, so some sort of interval session.
 Mick Ward 02 Nov 2015
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

> What V6 was it?!

Hi Fred,

Relativity (I think!) I'm not a boulderer and, shockingly, have only grimped in the boulderfield once - despite living about a mile away.

Marcus O'Leary, two days older than me (old git!) did this and another V6 and a V7. His first time out bouldering in a long while.

Of course, in a larger sense, these things are meaningless. But, on a personal basis, they're vital yardsticks. We put so much pressure on ourselves and, so often, ignore the massive factor of stressful lifestyles (as/more important than age?) It's perilously easy to lose confidence (I know; I have). And that's all I was trying to suggest to the OP.

Hopefully you're enjoying your comeback!

Best wishes,

Mick

Mick Ward 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> ... it'll be staying on the right side of injured that will be the key.

"The important thing is not to get strong - it's to get strong and not get injured!" (Wolfgang Gullich)

I suspect the older you get, the more careful you need to be. Be careful.

Mick
Removed User 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Can still manage sub 5.45min flying mile at age 55. You should live in hope.
In reply to Mick Ward:

I'm looking at my age as a positive from a mental perspective. When I did Athletics in my early twenties I was impatient and trying to prove something to the world and went at it like a bull in a china shop. I was very negative and hard on myself. I was unlucky in that I got run over and broke my leg in the March of '92, having taken up athletics about 2 weeks before. I became injury prone after that and eventually gave up, fed up with being constantly tired and in pain.

I think my greater patience, wisdom and sense of perspective will help me now. I know it's not about the achievement, it's about the process. I'll enjoy the process and the rewards it brings.
 Mick Ward 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> ...trying to prove something to the world...'

And ourselves. Royal Robbins once wrote how we have this feeling that, if we do a particular route (or make a particular time or...), somehow everything will be all right, our lives will mysteriously swing into balance. Only, of course, they won't. It's a pathetic fallacy and yet we all fall for it.

Over 40 years ago, suddenly I could do routes beyond my wildest dreams. But the first love of my life binned me (she had her reasons) and two years of my life disappeared in a waste of pain, drink, drugs. Slowly I crawled out of the abyss, older, (a little) wiser.

And that's what we do. We come back - because it's unfinished business. Yet it's different. I agreed with little that John Redhead said/wrote. But I think he got it spot on with 'authentic desire', finally doing it because you love it, ego's fallen by the wayside.

John McEnroe said that there's one tennis match that everyone remembers as golden. (I think it was between Jimmy Connors and him, circa 1980.) He said, "They love that match. But what they've long ago forgotten [and I haven't!?] is that... I lost."

I know the Yanks keep saying, "It's a process," like it's some sodding mantra. But they're right. The tick's lovely to get. But, in the end, the joy of struggle is resonance with the human condition. Win or lose, the joy of struggle is always with us.

Mick

wbo 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Murray: the 4:08 is for the mile, and yes off a 58 it was a big struggle. Whether that really was my best is a good discussion as innhald a few nights i ran quicker in training, but... I used to train with a bloke who had could barely run 800 <2.00 but ran <28 for 10k and <2,11 for a marathon so go figure.

2.39 is pretty tasty, and certainly your 5k is comparatively slow - ever Wonder why?

In reply to Mick Ward:

Wise words Mick. You're a top bloke. I love the idea of authentic desire. I think you can only get to that point when you're comfortable in your own skin. I like the feeling of running fast, so that's what I'm going to do!
 Phil Murray 03 Nov 2015
In reply to wbo: Hi - yes the 1km was a track race, I just flew off from 200m in (2 laps), running 200 - 600m in about 61 seconds!!! I won the race. 1989 .... my best 800m is 3:03.5, again 1989. PBs: http://www.murrayphil.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pbs.html

My 5km of 15:26 was good, I really worked for that. 15:37 on road was also not bad. It's now - aged 51 - 18:10. I can't run a km in 3:12 now, so doubt I will ever run a 5 minute mile - tho 5:30 is possible... hmmm .... see where this thread takes us!

I've also "retired" so can focus on running / sport more. But I'm injured (from the OMM last w./e), so the temptation is to do too much! at our age, that's dangerous - OP take note

I'm sure you broke 58 secs for 400m!!! and your mile time is awesome! my 1500m was 4:10 !! who did you train with? spect I've heard of him - I was very big on athletics in 80s & early 90s.
cheers
Phil

galpinos 03 Nov 2015
In reply to JimR:

Join a club? Having joined a very friendly club my running massively improved (and has since returned to it's baseline mediocre level due to work, family and illness).
In reply to Mick Ward:

Very well done Mick! Top work. Not only V6 but a powerful one!

Very strangely... I haven't been to the cuttings boulderfield since 2006. I actually had a trip planned for the weekend just gone and had my eye on Lightening Strike. I would have been at the same boulder as you on the same day! However... I have a small finger injury and the guy I was planning on going with has just injured his thumb. So we decided against it! Shame. We may have finally met!!!!

Mick Ward 03 Nov 2015
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

I'm sure we'll come across each other some time. We both seem to be on comeback trails - as the OP is here. Last time round, your rise was meteoric - 6a to 8a in less than a year (six months??) It will be interesting to see what it feels like this time... where you want to go in climbing.

I'm sure Pete was glad to hear from you. He said once that bolting Portland (the first phase) would probably turn out to be the most important thing he'd ever achieve in his life - never mind what he did on Swanage and elsewhere. And, of course, now he's on a comeback trail himself at nearly 50.

Looks like we're all at it!

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...