UKC

Beautiful moor top night ride

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
About 3 hours last night after 9 pm: Pennine way north from Diggle, trails back into Marsden, totally clear skies with a big deep red rising moon, dense mist down in the valleys, oddly warm and totally still, with not_a_breath of wind.

Nothing's felt that magical for a long time.
 Tom Valentine 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Just Another Dave:

Where does the PW go into Diggle?
 Chris the Tall 02 Nov 2015

I've had a few nights like - love riding (or running) under clear skies and a full moon, or seeing the moon rise - and trying to avoid the distraction of it and crashing ! My best was riding down a snowy Burbage Valley on New Years Eve , and not needing lights. Getting a cloud inversion is a bonus - especially as it then blots out Sheffield from the Moors!
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yeah, ok, it doesn't. Rode up a bridleway to join it where it crosses the A62, didn't think it worth the detail!

Most of it I hadn't been on before, and I find on-sight night riding can be pretty exciting, even on quite docile trails!
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Ah yes, the moon wasn't full, but the general glow and atmosphere was distracting enough to make me go arse-over-tit more than once on a gentle 'easy' bit! I had to stop, put the lights off, and still my breathing a few times in disbelief at how surreal and silent the moors were.

That NYE sounds pretty special!
 Chris the Tall 02 Nov 2015

Doesn't the Pennine Bridleway go through Diggle ? I presumed that's what you meant - rode that section in April a few years back and had all sorts of trouble with deep snow drifts !
In reply to Chris the Tall:

PBW does, PW doesn't.
But they come pretty close together near Standedge. ....just details....
Then PW continues past Hollingworth lake, all very nice....
 Tom Valentine 04 Nov 2015

Just a detail but ...........
PW comes closer to Diggle than it does to Hollingworth Lake.............

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...