UKC

Llanberis Pass poo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex moore 03 Nov 2015
Just been to Llanberis pass for the first time and can honestly say I've never been let down so badly. What I expected was 5* climbing location, what I got was more of an open sewer situation.

The main problem is the absurd amount of human shit around the crags.. something has to be done. I wouldn't even be that annoyed is there wasn't obviously toilets in abundance around the valley. Also, right below a boulder problem, really.. its chalked up and everything.
So yeah, bit of a rant I know but also maybe people should be more aware.

Toccata 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Ditto Lathkill Dale: an open sewer in every cave or recess. Horrific and even more galling there are toilets a 5 minute walk away.
 jonnie3430 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

And Little Chamonix in the Lakes, a "coil," had been left on one of the belays that a friend coiled his rope onto, which uncoiled the coil all over the rope...
 Bulls Crack 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Make them take it away in their beanies?
OP Alex moore 03 Nov 2015
I didnt know we had this problem in the lakes, clearly not to the same extent, but on a belay, really, little cham.. no chance they we're so scared they shat themselves. Perhaps they were testing the features of their new harness. Bastards everywhere ey
 d_b 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

There were a few around the Dewerstone last time I was there.

I remember sharing a small belay ledge with someones discarded jobbie on Amphitheatre Buttress was a pleasant experience as well.
 Mark Eddy 03 Nov 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

I too was in despair a couple of weeks back whilst enjoying a climb on White Ghyll, Langdale. We heard very loud shouts of 'I'm just going to have a s**t from the base of the crag. We were high on the route at the time and they were gone by the time we were back down, otherwise a few words may have been exchanged. Calls of nature are of course all very well, but pulling down your trousers for all to see and at the base of a crag (and next to a watercourse) is not acceptable.
In reply to Alex moore:

I can't say I've noticed any waste at the crags in the pass but the boulders are nothing but a bit of a cesspit in certain areas.
 radddogg 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Shit happens
 andrewmc 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I used to bring a trowel along in my bag just in case but I never needed used it so stopped bringing it (and have never needed it since). Do I just have some magical digestive system, while most people are incapable of just going before they go, or are people just too lazy/forgetful?
 jimjimjim 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I was once told by a bloke called Guy Lee who knows a thing or two about the outdoors, that if you really have to go you should burn the paper and smear the s**t round with your boot so it's not concentrated in one spot. That's not yo say if there's a toilet nearby you shouldn't use that!
I think it applies more to the hills proper than the vally crags and boulders.
 pec 03 Nov 2015
In reply to jimjimjim:

> . . . . . if you really have to go you should burn the paper and smear the s**t round with your boot so it's not concentrated in one spot. . . . . . >

I've never got this burning the paper thing. Surely that's the least offensive part which will decompose quickest and cause least harm? Anyway, a bit of paper sticking out from below a rock serves as a useful warning which should minimise the chances of a direct encounter.

deadpoint 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Maybe its because all the problems are in sh1t locations?
 pec 03 Nov 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> . . . . Do I just have some magical digestive system, while most people are incapable of just going before they go, or are people just too lazy/forgetful? >

I don't think its a case of being incapable, just not ready. With the best will in the world, if its not brewed its not coming out and sometimes a brisk walk in to a crag is just what is needed to get the metabolism going, possibly combined with an element of fear?
Of course that doesn't excuse indiscriminate defacation in highly visible or well trafficked areas.

OP Alex moore 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I think one poo at at crag is not great but not a serious problem, but 30+ people cramming under classic boulders. na. not cool. Also whats up with covering it with rocks.. not a solution, just kind of turns a poo into a landmine. oddly I dont expect there to be shit under every rock at the crag (although clearly I might be wrong)
 nutme 04 Nov 2015
Spreading of poo is a common practise when digging is not an option. Idea about it is that then poo is spread in thin layer over exposed surface of rock it will get burned by the sun and taken away by the wind.

I kind a prefer to use a sharp rock to do it rather than my boot.
 danm 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

That's the problem in a nutshell though - places like the Cromlech boulders see an insane level of activity. Don't be fooled into thinking you are going anywhere other than a honey-pot location with all that entails. The sheer volume of use means that even if it's only the odd one in a thousand users who gets caught short or doesn't give a shit then it all stacks up eventually into a big steaming pile. Forgive my visual imagery here

I've had similar experiences to you at Burbage, the Plantation, and Raven and Shepherds in the Lakes, and the common factor is popularity. IMHO the answer is to accept that these places are basically an outdoor leisure facility and build a composting toilet or similar where possible, upkeep paid for by parking fees. This might also help spread the load as the skinflints seek out more esoteric venues instead.
 d_b 04 Nov 2015
In reply to pec:

The paper can take years to break down. Animals love digging it up as well.
 pec 04 Nov 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> The paper can take years to break down. >

Even in a very wet and usually quite humid climate like our mountain areas?

In reply to pec:

yes it can

sorry if this has been linked to

how to shit in the wood is a study of ------------ well how to, well shit in the woods

http://www.amazon.com/How-Shit-Woods-Edition-Environmentally/dp/1580083633
In reply to Alex moore:

It's a common, if disgusting, problem on more popular hills and around heavily used bothies too. Here's some advice on how to poo responsibly: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=7436

...Though I suspect those who need to learn it most are unlikely to read - and digest - an article on it.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Nov 2015
In reply to pec:

> Surely that's the least offensive part which will decompose quickest

I often see loo paper around without any associated poo, presumably the poo had decomposed/washed away leaving the paper behind. It's not as common in the UK as elsewhere IME.
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

The link say the burying is best. I think my link to the in the woods book is against this, its for the bugs beatles and slugs to eat,, the paper is another thing and will hang around I burn or bury
 robhorton 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I don't think encouraging people to start burning toilet paper is a great idea. I don't see any need to use toilet paper at all - there's always some moss / leaves / grass / stones available. I think if people must use paper they should be carrying it out rather than burning it.
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> I often see loo paper around without any associated poo, presumably the poo had decomposed/washed away leaving the paper behind. It's not as common in the UK as elsewhere IME.

Some folk use loo paper instead of paper hankies (themselves and kids), and some dog walkers use loo paper for their doggies. Would not be surprised if some of that is just thrown away? Bit like the wipes some folk use and seem to think that they will biodegrade if they leave them lying after their picnics, etc?
 AlanLittle 04 Nov 2015
In reply to danm:

> I've had similar experiences to you at Burbage, the Plantation, and Raven and Shepherds in the Lakes, and the common factor is popularity. IMHO the answer is to accept that these places are basically an outdoor leisure facility and build a composting toilet or similar where possible, upkeep paid for by parking fees. This might also help spread the load as the skinflints seek out more esoteric venues instead.

Portaloos and/or composting toilets are quite common at some of the popular sport crags in the Alps, Frankenjura etc. And some of the ones that don't have them are indeed getting pretty disgusting.

andrewmc 04 Nov 2015
In reply to danm:

> That's the problem in a nutshell though - places like the Cromlech boulders see an insane level of activity.

It's about 5/10 minutes away by road to the toilets at the Nant Peris car park. I don't disagree with your point (as you say you just need one person in a thousand who doesn't give a shit) but I think there is almost never an excuse for going within a five minute walk of your car (and arguably much more than that).
 SGD 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I'm forever being caught short at the crag; nothing seems to loosen the bowel quite like a good walk-in.

So I always carry one of these with me.

http://www.needlesports.com/advancedsearch.aspx?Term=WAG%20bag

I have used these in Kalymnos, Yosemite and even Froggatt
 Shani 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I can't believe no one can be bothered to carry an old carrier bag to shit in. Once in a carrier bag (which is easy to aim in to), the whole lot can then be inserted in to a doggie-poop bag and carried homewards. Certainly a feasible solution for a day visit to a crag.

There's the rub; we pick up the shit from our dogs but happily leave human excrement at our most treasured locations.
 afshapes 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

It was the snowdon marathon last week ...maybe some people had to evacuate their bowels on the way up the pass ?
 Webster 04 Nov 2015
In reply to robhorton:

> I don't think encouraging people to start burning toilet paper is a great idea. I don't see any need to use toilet paper at all - there's always some moss / leaves / grass / stones available. I think if people must use paper they should be carrying it out rather than burning it.

Exactly, if you havent wiped with spagnum moss (probably miss-spelt) then you havent lived!

d_b 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Webster:

Moss? LUXURY!

When I were a lad all we had were thistles!
 Andy Morley 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

On balance, I guess that shitting is probably worse than people having sex at crags or on public footpaths. On the other hand, my guess is that other people at the crag might react more strongly on encountering people in flagrante delito than they would to someone in flagrante shitto.
 andrewmc 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

I would much rather people have sex at crags (provided they didn't leave any litter) than shitting on crags? Equally I would accidentally bump into two people going at it than one person laying it out (much funnier for a start).
 wercat 04 Nov 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

" Little Chamonix in the Lakes, a "coil," had been left "
Yuck!,

When was this and on which belay? I know someone who wants to climb there in the near future and perhaps she needs warning..
 deepsoup 04 Nov 2015
In reply to danm:

> ... the Plantation...
> IMHO the answer is to accept that these places are basically an outdoor leisure facility and build a composting toilet or similar where possible, upkeep paid for by parking fees. This might also help spread the load as the skinflints seek out more esoteric venues instead.

Stanage already has a very nice toilet block with running water right next to the Plantation so there's absolutely no excuse there.
In reply to pec:

> I've never got this burning the paper thing. Surely that's the least offensive part which will decompose quickest and cause least harm? Anyway, a bit of paper sticking out from below a rock serves as a useful warning which should minimise the chances of a direct encounter.

You think paper degrades quicker than sh*t?
In reply to Shani:

> I can't believe no one can be bothered to carry an old carrier bag to shit in. Once in a carrier bag (which is easy to aim in to), the whole lot can then be inserted in to a doggie-poop bag and carried homewards. Certainly a feasible solution for a day visit to a crag.

> There's the rub; we pick up the shit from our dogs but happily leave human excrement at our most treasured locations.

Why take it home when you can hang it from a tree!
In reply to afshapes:

I've seen people 'over nighting' in the parking bays opposite the Cromlech boulders. Some of them probably imagine the boulders are a useful out of the way spot to have a dump.
 jonnie3430 04 Nov 2015
In reply to wercat:

Should be fine, it was two weeks ago and I think it was completely absorbed by their ropes...
 Shani 04 Nov 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Why take it home when you can hang it from a tree!

Ah, a 'Scouse Bauble'.
 Andy Morley 04 Nov 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> I would much rather people have sex at crags (provided they didn't leave any litter) than shitting on crags? Equally I would accidentally bump into two people going at it than one person laying it out (much funnier for a start).

I couldn't help bumping into them, or rather their car, when it happened to me. They'd driven right into a footpath in between two hedges and I had to squeeze up onto the bank to get past. The four-year-old who was on my shoulders asked a lot of very loud questions as he gazed down through the windscreen. Red cheeks all over, never seen anyone quite that pink before.
 Derry 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

I remember climbing a route in Swanage (forget which one) but just about to set off and the pair next to us said "are you going up *said route*? If so, just to let you know my mate had a poo on the belay ledge and it's hidden under a small rock behind the flake"

Nice of them to tell us really, bit smelly though. Personally I'd have shat on the loose rock and shotput it out to sea.
 faffergotgunz 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Alex moore:

Sozz blud, must ave been me n Darky G playin 'poop cam' wid da climberz dere. Funny innit, shit on a cam an wotch da knob ed climberz walk past n get dere easy crag swag lol

Failing that trick old boy. Boulder buckets have always made an exquisite lavatory to relieve ones self in. The young whippersnappers should take up a more esteemed aspect of rock climbing.
 Webster 04 Nov 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

I was being genuine! it is a luxury. im considering harvesting it for my home bog
 Dave the Rave 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Webster:

> Exactly, if you havent wiped with spagnum moss (probably miss-spelt) then you havent lived!

Indeed. My best shit of the week is after a couple of real ales and a few packets of nuts at the local. The previous night will have been a ring sting curry and a few bevvies. Then I wander back through the woods for a dump. The local sphagnum is excellentl. Cool and damp. My arse feels pucker after a wipe with that stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...