UKC

Monterosa - any thoughts or advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 04 Nov 2015
Trying to tempt the group away from France this year and have read good things about the Monterosa area in Italy - anyone been ? Any good advice on where to stay ?
 Pinch'a'salt 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Haven't been for a few years but good piste skiing (if a little limited) and fantastic off piste - if the weather systems play ball, which they have the last few years (with a few lean years before that - its not known as 'grass'oney for nothing).

My preference is for a base in Gressoney as you can quickly get over to Alagna or Champoluc sides. Been a few years but last time stayed at Hotel Dufour which was most excellent.
 colinakmc 05 Nov 2015
For mountaineering rather than skiing? Looking at your profile it may not appeal, there's a great deal of glacier plodding to be had and not so much valley rock that I can see.A couple of us were there in September, based at Gressoney in the Hotel la Villa de la Regina which is right next to the lifts at Staffal and cost us £21 a night. Loads of 4000'ers for bagging and some good mixed at very high altitude( not that we got any of them!) And all the high Italian huts are within reach.
Italian folk are just great though, so friendly and helpful.

IMA 05 Nov 2015

Again not been for a over 5 years but when I was there I was in Champoluc the hotel Bellevue was ok but it could quite easily have gone down hill.

As mentioned above limited piste wise but apart from one bottle neck was all pleasant. The off piste when in was fantastic. People do heli ski in the area (or did).

Champoluc was a small place, easy to get a drink but no big nights out and certainly no Crazy Kangeroo or Folie Douche.

Given snow for the last few years it could be a gamble but last minute if there is snow you wouldn't be disappointed with the skiing I reckon
In reply to colinakmc/all:

Skiing rather than mountaineering (I did put it in the skiing forum) - looking at end Jan/early Feb.

Thanks for the replies

Obviously lack of snow might be a concern then, but that's always the case - been to the Dolomites and had too little one year and too much the same time the following year (Arraba shut for 5 days!). Lack of nightlife isn't a problem - we're usually asleep by 9pm - but the extent of the piste skiing might be.
 AG 05 Nov 2015
You should check out cervinia . Great snow, some good off piste and links to zermatt and valtournache. Much quieter than other resorts i've been to in italy. Heli skiing on the doorstep too for a decent price.
Post edited at 11:08
In reply to AG:

Oddly enough, that's on the cards for a trip in March ! But after experience of skiing there from Zermatt a couple of years ago - I've never been so cold ! - we decided that it would be a better choice for late season
 JDC 05 Nov 2015

Went to Gressoney last year for the first time. Usual caveat about snow-dependent (as everywhere is!) but loved it. Best piste skiing I've ever had (and I'm more of a backcountry skier) - wide, perfectly pisted runs which were deserted most of the day. Off piste was mixed the week we were there and mainly scoured by high winds, which I believe are quite common in the area.

Would definitely go back but would go last minute and wouldn't make the mistake of going with a tour operator - ours was totally useless. It's so easy to fly to turin and drive up yourself - gives more accommodation options. There's quite a lot of info on snowheads if you search, including a report I did on a heli-day.
In reply to dashed:

Ah, that's very interesting - could I ask which operator ? We normally go for the DIY option (an exception being going with Colletts in the Dolomites) , but I've not found many accomodation options as yet, so we are looking at a Hotel with tour op.
 JDC 05 Nov 2015

Crystal - amongst other things, in-resort rep was atrocious!! Our accommodation was beautiful but the food totally let it down - very, very bland and ordinary. Hotel Ellex.
 AG 05 Nov 2015

Aye, i've only ever been in easter time. Great place for late season. Still cold on the top though!
In reply to dashed:

Cheers - that was precisely the place we were looking at !
 MG 05 Nov 2015

We have had few trips to the area, which is great. It is worth investigating hiring a self-catering or similar in the main valley and a car (easy from Geneva, Milan or Turin). You can then choose from any Aosta ski centre as the mood takes you on the day.
 Dave Rumney 05 Nov 2015

I was in Gressonney in September (obviously not skiing), but I didn't think it seemed a particularly large ski area in comparision to to somewhere like Cervinia and the resort lifts are only 200m lower. Lovely valley though.
Post edited at 18:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...