UKC

'Us'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alyson 07 Nov 2015
'Us', by David Nicholls. Oh my goodness, I've just had my heart picked open.

This must be the most perfectly emotionally pitched novel I've ever read, and possibly one of the best books I've ever read full stop. I loved 'One Day' and expected this to be good - expecting too, I think, a similar heartbreaking punch - but it's genuinely wonderful beyond my expectations. Not happy, nor comfortable, nor tragic - it treads a delicate line which never tips into sentimentality.

It is just... life. Life and family and marriage told so perfectly you're almost inhabiting it.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I shall read it.
OP Alyson 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Good, good, good! I'd love to know what you think.
 pneame 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Ah, a book thread! Great.

I've just read "Aurora" by Kim Stanley Robinson (science fiction with a heavy emphasis on science). I won't spoil it, but it gets steadily more poignant and heart breaking, and ends on a bittersweet positive note. Not easy going, but worth the effort. One of the most memorable books I've read in a while.

"Us" looks most intriguing - I'll have to give it a whirl
OP Alyson 07 Nov 2015
In reply to pneame:

I got it last week on the 'buy one get one half price' tables at Waterstones so it's worth looking out for if you've currently got another recent paperback on your wish list.
 pneame 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I've migrated to Kindle books - in the interests of being able to move around at home....
Although not so good for sharing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...