UKC

BOOK REVIEW: Alone on the Wall by Alex Honnold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 09 Nov 2015
Alone on the Wall Front Cover, 3 kbJack Geldard cuts through the hyperbole and reviews Alone on the Wall, by Alex Honnold and David Roberts.

"A good book, well written, and a fascinating and honest look at the life of someone who has accidentally become one of rock climbing's all time heroes. More power to you Alex...

Read more
 David Sz 11 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'd agree with the final summary of this review, it is a good book and can be fascinating. The first person recollections of amazing climbs and all the mental and other preparation needed to climb like this are the high point and feel insightful and honest.

However, there is too much padding especially as the book goes on. Anyone interested in tedious descriptions of climbing films Alex has been in from the co-author, or a few quotes from him and others (often taken from magazines) spun up into pages on uneventful sponsored climbing trips or other mishaps?

Don't put it down too often otherwise you might not pick it up again, but overall I'm glad I read it.
 Shani 11 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

"If there's a challenge for the proverbial 'nest generation', it would be free soloing Eternal Flame."

"Nest generation" - Is that a typo or a subtle commentary on today's youth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...