UKC

How did WWI end?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Donald82 09 Nov 2015
Interesting read and, I think, puts Corbyn's views on war in a good light.
 Phil Lyon 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Donald82:

what?
 summo 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Donald82:

You mean treaty of Versailles?
Donald82 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Lyon:

What?
 pneame 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Donald82:

What are we supposed to be reading? Or is that it: "How did WW1 end?" which can't by any stretch of the imagination, be regarded as interesting reading. It's not even a Haiku
In reply to Phil Lyon:

German navy mutinied. Led to revolution. Precipitated end of war. Memory is hazy on detail.
 John Ww 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Donald82:

With a 1?

JW
Donald82 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Aha! I see your point. That's embarrassing. To late to edit this one, so I've started a new thread with the link
Donald82 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil Lyon:

Aha! I see your point. That's embarrassing. Too late to edit this one, so I've started a new thread with the link
 krikoman 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Donald82:

How did WWI end?

With a bang!
 FactorXXX 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Donald82:

Worthing Women's Institute ended when Mrs Flanagan ran off with the treasurers husband...
 Casa Alfredino 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Donald82:

With a good strong cup of tea.
 Trangia 10 Nov 2015
In reply to krikoman:

> How did WWI end?

> With a bang!

Quite the opposite actually. Dead on 11 am the guns fell silent.
 krikoman 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> Quite the opposite actually. Dead on 11 am the guns fell silent.

Not everywhere though, there were pockets of fighting for sometime afterwards and it was a joke.
 GarethSL 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Donald82:

Didn't it end in Africa, two weeks after the armistice?
 Trangia 10 Nov 2015
In reply to krikoman:

You are correct Von Lettlow-Vorbeck didn't surrender until 25 November 1918 in German East Africa, partially due to the difficulty of communicating the news of the Armistice to him in the field and partly because having run circles around the British and South Africans throughout the War he wanted to surrender at a time and place of his chosing. He wasn't defeated.

Have you read "The Battle for the Bundu"? The history of his brilliant guerrilla campaign conducted with just 3,000 German troops and 11,000 African askari against 250,000 British and South African troops. Well worth reading if you are interested in the Great War.

GarethSL 10 Nov 2015
In reply to Donald82:

Actually I take that back, it was the first shots of the war that were fired in Togo land, not the last. My mistake!
 krikoman 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> You are correct Von Lettlow-Vorbeck didn't surrender until 25 November 1918 in German East Africa, partially due to the difficulty of communicating the news of the Armistice to him in the field and partly because having run circles around the British and South Africans throughout the War he wanted to surrender at a time and place of his chosing. He wasn't defeated.

Why didn't they just look on Facebook?

> Have you read "The Battle for the Bundu"? The history of his brilliant guerrilla campaign conducted with just 3,000 German troops and 11,000 African askari against 250,000 British and South African troops. Well worth reading if you are interested in the Great War.

I've heard about it but not read the book, when I'm not so busy (10 -15 years) I'll look it up. Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...