UKC

Trad climbing partners apology

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
A thread to say sorry to all those we've wronged while out climbing!

I'll start:
Hardon - I'm sorry for getting scared and not putting in any gear for you on the top pitch of Wen, leaving you with 15m of traversing rope out and a massive potential swing into a corner with the rope running over the edge of a ledge - I'm better now!
Tom - I'm sorry for convincing you that we wouldn't want our approach shoes with us on Royal Arches, as we could 'just ab off' - hope your feet have recovered
 MischaHY 11 Nov 2015
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

Ally - I'm sorry I made you stand around in a cloud of midges for half an hour whilst I gibbered at the top of My Halo (E7 6b).

Cheers mate.
 French Erick 11 Nov 2015

To all my partners:
In no jest- I am sorry for being outrageously keen and enthusiastic before and going to the climb AND then transform into a frightened weakling.
 JJL 11 Nov 2015

> Tom - I'm sorry for convincing you that we wouldn't want our approach shoes with us on Royal Arches, as we could 'just ab off' - hope your feet have recovered

'kin hell! That wlak off is absolutely horrible (and frequently injures people) with approach shoes let alone in rock boots. Why didn't you just ab off?
Andy Gamisou 11 Nov 2015

How about the reverse, e.g. wanting an apology from my missus for gleefully exclaiming "ooh, your only gear's come out!" just as I've committed to the crux of a (for me) knarly route.
 galpinos 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

That's called "friendly banter" and requires no apology.
In reply to JJL:

We did ab, but we were stuck behind others, extending the day so we had to ab in the dark, and 2 parties needed help getting down. Our party of two ended up a party of 6 and got down at 1am. 18hrs in rockshoes even if we didn't have to walk was enough to ruin our feet :s
 Hat Dude 11 Nov 2015

To many partners

I'm sorry for not reading the guidebook, relying on my "infallible" memory of route directions and sending you up something about three grades harder.
 Alyson 11 Nov 2015

MH - I think if I'd jumped backwards off the ledge I might have been able to stop you decking on TPS. I at least wish I'd tried, it would have looked heroic if nothing else.
Andy Gamisou 11 Nov 2015
In reply to galpinos:

> That's called "friendly banter" and requires no apology.

I took it more as an attempt to cash in the life assurance policy early.
 SteveoS 11 Nov 2015

Doug - I'm sorry for putting my anchors 180 degrees apart.. Won't do that again! I'm also sorry for suggesting that we ab into the approaching tide rather than sit on that godforsaken ledge at Torbay. I'm also sorry for making you ab off a sky hook and some tat.

Chris - Sorry for getting both of your ropes jammed on guide-mode and also having a right mare at Lower Sharpnose.
abseil 11 Nov 2015

> A thread to say sorry to all those we've wronged while out climbing!

Sorry for being so brilliant and showing you all up.
 Rick Sewards 11 Nov 2015

To everyone (virtually) I've ever climbed with, in the last 32 years or so:

I'm sorry that the minutes turned into hours as I shuffled about, placed a nest of gear, re-arranged it a bit, moved up, got scared, climbed back down, had a shake out, climbed back up to get some overhead gear in, got pumped doing so, retreated again, decided I needed to reverse another 5 metres to a full hands-off rest, made full use of it, procrastinated a bit more and finally went for it. Any of these steps may be repeated n times, where n is large.

I am really sorry, especially for the times you got freezing cold, eaten alive or sunburnt according to conditions. I'd like to say it won't happen again, but the evidence suggests that this is extremely unlikely

Rick
 LeeWood 11 Nov 2015

This seems to imply that bolted climbing always goes smoothly, that leaders don't end up faffing and procrastinating, or that nothing merits an apology when the anchors are bomb-proof :/
 Alyson 11 Nov 2015

> A thread to say sorry to all those we've wronged while out climbing!

Also I should probably say a special sorry to my mum. I know you hate heights, I know you worry about me climbing and I know you don't understand, but I love it so.
In reply to LeeWood:

Sporties, bolderies and even shiverers are welcome!
 Fruit 12 Nov 2015

Craig y Forwyn

Sorry Tref for persuading you to ab down the crag to get the stuck runner with the rope attached to nothing more than my harness belay loop and me sitting on the grass at the top of the crag, we were skint and gear was expensive to replace
 MischaHY 12 Nov 2015

I'm amazed at the amount of dislikes I've garnered on that comment :')
In reply to MischaHY:

Theres no excuse for midging a good partner, for shame...
 galpinos 12 Nov 2015
In reply to MischaHY:

I would imagine as it could be read as the overriding message being "check me out, I climbed My Halo, I'm ace" wrapped up in an insincere apology. Maybe.......
 Tony the Blade 12 Nov 2015

I'm sorry for the times I've travelled North and gone on excitedly about the routes I wish to attempt during the coming week, only to turn into a wuss and just go back to the same old grade IIs that I do every year.
 MischaHY 12 Nov 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Weird. I just thought I was apologising in an entertaining fashion to my mate whose face was literally more bite than not by the time I got off the route. :')

I figured that since UKC has the feature to link a route into a post now, I might as well use it as intended so that people can have a look at the route. You know, because we're climbers, and that's kind of what we do.

Incidentally, My Halo is soft for the grade and certainly not worthy of anyone declaring themselves 'Ace' for climbing it. As you'll notice if you read a bit of my blog, I'm not one for bigging myself up. Maybe when I do something that's actually hard...

MischaHY 12 Nov 2015

Words are not enough. Apparently I still owe him a pint of blood.
 galpinos 12 Nov 2015
In reply to MischaHY:

For the record, I neither disliked your post nor drew that conclusion, it was only on re-reading it with the "dislikes" in mind than I thought it could be read in another way. I may be wrong.

However,

> As you'll notice if you read a bit of my blog, I'm not one for bigging myself up.

seems a bit of an contradictory statement. By the very act of having a blog, you are, to a degree, bigging (sic) yourself up.

(I haven't read your blog so must admit, I've no idea of the content)
 Michael Gordon 12 Nov 2015
In reply to galpinos:

> seems a bit of an contradictory statement. By the very act of having a blog, you are, to a degree, bigging (sic) yourself up.
>

Yep. Or to be generous, having a blog is just about OK, mentioning it however...
 MischaHY 12 Nov 2015
In reply to galpinos:

No worries. No frustrations from me :') My blog is mostly just meandering ramblings about climbing that I've done. I just like writing tbh!
 MischaHY 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Meh. Isn't that what forums like UKC are for, telling each other what we've been up to?
 radddogg 13 Nov 2015
In reply to MischaHY:

That's what all other forms are for, UKC is the exception to that rule.
 gd303uk 13 Nov 2015
I am sorry to any of my partners that mid route in extremis I have barked at , only to be very polite and friendly after I have topped out or back on gound looking for the next route.
Post edited at 00:21
 MischaHY 13 Nov 2015
In reply to radddogg:

Ahhh I see. How about if I blog about how (insert action) is against the ethic of (Insert crag name)?
 Wendy Watthews 13 Nov 2015

I'm sorry to Darren for making you stand in a puddle at sceda, I was scared
 Aigen 13 Nov 2015

I am sorry for shouting at you and calling you a pussy when you where trying to climb the roof pitch while carrying a massive overnight rucksack. Man that was a fight.
 pebbles 13 Nov 2015
I still feel immensely embarrassed about the time I swore at a climbing partner after 15 metres unable to find a single piece of gear:
partner over radio: "crackle crackle....can you find any gear yet?"
me (in approaching twilight, contemplating technical crux, no gear as yet found) "crackle crackle...I'm fifteen metres from the belay, do you not think that if I could have found any f***ing gear, I would have placed the f***ing gear?"

which was somewhat undeserved. I did apologise.
Post edited at 08:43
 birdie num num 13 Nov 2015

I'd like to apologise to all trad climbing Uckers for having a shit on the ledge on Valkyrie.
I'd had a vesta curry the night before and did the first pitch with a tortoises head.
 Michael Gordon 13 Nov 2015
In reply to pebbles:

> I'm fifteen metres from the belay, do you not think that if I could have found any f***ing gear, I would have placed the f***ing gear?"

> which was somewhat undeserved. I did apologise.

A good response though!
 Dave Barker 13 Nov 2015
In reply to birdie num num:
Unforgiveable (sp?), your action is only acceptable if you'd touched cloth!
Post edited at 22:26
 jsmcfarland 14 Nov 2015

Sally - sorry for dragging you up King Kong when you were mostly climbing VS. I still feel bad about this!
Will - sorry I ended up somehow doing most of the leads and only realising on the last climb of the last day
Tim - sorry I wrecked my knees and you did most of the carrying!
 Fantastical 14 Nov 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

That was a memorable day! And for the descent as well...
 Bobling 15 Nov 2015

Dave - I'm sorry I slipped on the abseil into the Lost World and f*cked your rope.
 Lornajkelly 16 Nov 2015

I'm sorry to Tom McLeod who I inadvertantly midged in Vivian quarry. It was the first time I'd stripped a sport route (and I'm never happy about doing it, a year and a half later) and it took me ages, all the while with him dutifully holding the rope whilst blinking midges out of his eyes.

And I'm sorry to my mother, for taking her climbing for the first time in 30 years, on the direct route up milestone buttress. Something on little tryfan would have been a much better idea, which didn't require descending down a wet gully on a safety line.
And on a parallel note, thanks to whoever left the tatt at the top of the descent from tryfan milestone buttress. That was most helpful.
 Phil Anderson 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Wendy Watthews:

> I was scared

Is that what caused the puddle?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...