UKC

Mountain Leader Training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
liamw100 12 Nov 2015
Hi

Does anyone know of any cheap last minute places for ML training or know where I could possibly get some funding from?

thanks
 angry pirate 12 Nov 2015
In reply to liamw100:

One option might be to volunteer as a D of e leader at your local school/scout group etc.
We actively fund training for our volunteers to get them BEL/ ML trained.
It's a good place to get hours in too.
 sid68 12 Nov 2015
Its worth bearing in mind you sometimes get what you pay for! Earlier in the year I completed my ML Training and Assessment with Rob Johnson / ExpeditionGuide.Com and received the benefit of the knowledge and experience of 3 MIA / MIC's. Money well invested in MHO!.
 george mc 13 Nov 2015
In reply to liamw100:

All ML courses are run by Providers approved by Mountain Training. Therefore given the quality assurance process they undergo, the end result i.e. completing training or at some point being assessed, means at least a minimum standard.

Many Providers offer a variety of packages at different price points based on what is included in the package. For example the National Centres generally offer a fully inclusive package including accommodation, hill food and transport etc etc. these tend to mean their courses will be at the higher end of the price range. Many other independent providers offer similar packages involving different combinations of what's included e.g. some offer accommodation but you provide your own food etc. Many including the National Centres offer a course only package - these tend to be the cheaper options - although you will need to cost in your own travel, accommodation and food for example.

For candidates the end result is it's a buyers so you can check about amongst the course on offer from Mountain Training Providers and see what courses are on offer at locations you prefer at a price you can afford. Knowing the end result is wherever you complete your training it'll be a valid training course.

Note, there are no restrictions on where you complete your training then go onto do your assessment. So you can do your training with one Provider in Wales then do your assessment with another Provider in England or Scotland or any combination of the above.

Cheery!
George McEwan
Executive Officer
Mountain Training Scotland
Removed User 13 Nov 2015
In reply to liamw100:

If you haven't done so already, then it's worth keeping an eye on the UK Trainee Mountain Leaders Facebook page.

Tony the Blade 13 Nov 2015
In reply to liamw100:

If you are a volunteer then have a look at Plas y Brenin's Future Leaders Fund.

http://www.pyb.co.uk/future-leaders-fund.php

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...