UKC

Mudguards for road bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 15 Nov 2015
Fed up of being blinded by spray and having a wet arse. Which mudguards should I go for? Lemond Tourmalet, reasonable frame clearance, 25 tyres, no eyelets front or rear. First criteria is function, but would be nice if they looked good too.
 gethin_allen 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Sam W:

I bought the crud road racer 2 guards for my commuter bike, I fitter both for a while but the front was a bit wobbly and I kept hitting my foot on it so I took it off.
The rear works well but I'm looking for an alternative for the front.
In reply to gethin_allen:

SKS Raceblade Long http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-raceblade-long-2-mudguard-set/

Much more robust than the crud plastic ones.
 elsewhere 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Sam W:
Sks bluemels
In reply to Sam W:

SKS Chromoplastics for me, fiddly to install but do an amazing job when there on. Loads better than the Crud Guard/Race Guard combo I've got on my mountain bike.
In reply to Sam W:

I have crud road racers - they do a good job of keeping the crap off but as other have said, are a bit flimsy.
cb294 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Sam W:

Curana C-lites, much stiffer than the Bluemels,

CB
 cousin nick 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Sam W:

I had Crud roadracer 2 guards for a while - even used them on JOGLE. As others have said, they are flimsy and also fiddly to set up. After JOGLE I took them off and they've never gone back on. I now use a 'butt fender' (made by mucky nuts!) clipped to the saddle to keep me arse dry. However, it doesn't stop my mates behind me from getting a face full of road $h1t - incentive to do their turn in front!

N
 James FR 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Sam W:

I've had the crud roadracer 2 guards on my commuter bike for a couple of months now, they are flimsy but do an excellent job and aren't showing any signs of wear yet.

I didn't find them difficult to set up, although I do have a fairly old road bike so clearances aren't too tight. It's worth watching the video on YouTube before you start.

The New NickB 16 Nov 2015
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

> Much more robust than the crud plastic ones.

I use these and never had any problems with them.
 Mikek 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Sam W:

Second the SKS Chromoplastics; a little fiddly to fit, especially as they are on cyclocross type bike with disc brakes, requiring additional short spacer tube on front. But work well, so far, and look reasonable to me
 AlisonSmiles 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Mikek:

I spent last winter constantly fiddling with the things and losing bits. I'd get to work and find another bit had come off. Started out this year with an order for mudguard eyebolts ... if I had my time again I'd find something else!!!
OP Sam W 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Sam W:

Cheers everyone, was tempted by the Curana's, but decided to go with the SKS Chromoplastics.

P-clips from ebay seem the best bet, any other good sources?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...