UKC

what is the best way to store skis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 summo 17 Nov 2015
As it says, what do other people do? I seem to get conflicting information.

Upside down on a rack horizontally, vertical not strapped together. Which is better long term?

I just got some new skis for the kids, but it will be next winter at the earliest before they are tall enough for them.
 london_huddy 17 Nov 2015
In reply to summo:

Clean and dry with a thick-ish layer of wax is about all I've ever worried about.
 Trangia 17 Nov 2015
In reply to london_huddy:
I agree. Particularly is to ensure that the edges are not permitted to rust at all.

When I first learnt to ski in 1957 the skis were wooden. They were stored upright, points up and sole to sole and strapped together with a wooden block in the middle to preserve the curve.

The edges, cable bindings, cable clips, tension lever, and toe and boot sole plates (no release bindings then) were well packed with grease.

Things have moved on since then, I don't think it's essential with modern skis to store them preserving the curve which is permanently built into them during manufacture.
Post edited at 19:22
OP summo 17 Nov 2015
In reply to london_huddy:
Sounds good. Didn't think it mattered critically, but did read somewhere about being upside down horizontally to maintain curve, but unless they were strapped tight together I couldn't see how vertical would harm.
 James Edwards 17 Nov 2015
In reply to summo:

I was advised to reduce the din settings to the lowest setting to release the tension in the spring (no pun intended). This may have been specific to fritschi touring bindings.
I get mine serviced and waxed at then end of the season but ask the shop not to scrape it, I do that the following winter. I s
Also request them to let the wax go over the edges so they don't oxidise .
I keep mine in a room temp cupboard indoors. I used to have 6 pairs, now I'm down to 4 (2 pairs of kids skis don't count of course).
James
 top cat 17 Nov 2015
In reply to summo:

I store mine horizontally on a rack hanging off the ceiling, strapped together in pairs [I have a LOT of skis and don't have room unless I pair them up]

In order to even out the effect of gravity I turn them round at regular intervals throughout the dead season. And yes, they are heavily waxed I remove bindings where possible, either via Quiver Killers or binding release [eg 7TM]. XC and BC bindings are left on.
 French Erick 17 Nov 2015
In reply to summo:

the best alternative is make your kids ski with it all the time... no headaches and very formative so long as they don't get injured.
OP summo 18 Nov 2015
In reply to French Erick:

> the best alternative is make your kids ski with it all the time... no headaches and very formative so long as they don't get injured.

I would agree, they have their current skis, but I picked up some bargains in the pre season sales. Skis(carving) are a good 10-15cm longer than they are tall, so I don't see them being used for at least a year. First skate(ice) of the season was last weekend and skiing doesn't look too far off either, so they'll be out soon, as will I!
 london_huddy 18 Nov 2015
In reply to James Edwards:

Very good point. Don't forget to remember what your din setting was though, if you're not used to calculating it.

Mine live under the bed in the summer. We're a 4 pairs household (1 for me, 1 for her) and 2 to sell.
 Dark-Cloud 23 Nov 2015

> I was advised to reduce the din settings to the lowest setting to release the tension in the spring (no pun intended). This may have been specific to fritschi touring bindings.

Not really required, this is the best article to use as a reference:

http://www.evo.com/how-to-store-skis-and-snowboards-for-the-summer.aspx
 random_watcher 23 Nov 2015

> I was advised to reduce the din settings to the lowest setting to release the tension in the spring

This ins't necessary with modern bindings, most binding manufacturers set and ship bindings with the din in the middle of the range the binding has (i.e on a 4-12 din binding the din will be set at 8). Completely releasing tension from the spring can actually cause more problems than leaving them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...