UKC

Easyjet - Dangerous Goods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Bateman 21 Nov 2015
Has anyone picked up on the fact that you can't take Ice Axes and Crampons in your hold luggage now ?
I've just booked flights to the Alps this winter and realised afterwards that they have changed their rules !!

http://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/dangerous-goods
 rockcatch 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Tim Bateman:

My interpretation is that ice axes, crampons and ski poles are allowed in the hold but not hand baggage.

I'm basing this on the second section on the page stating "in addition to the list of dangerous goods highlighted above, the following articles are not permitted to be carried on an easyJet aircraft, whether in the aircraft cabin or the hold:"

I guess the best thing is to email them to check though.
 Trangia 21 Nov 2015
In reply to rockcatch:
I agree it's a bit ambiguous, but my interpretation is the same as Tim Bateman's. Walking poles also excluded.

It would be really helpful if Tim does email Easyjet if he could post a copy of their reply because this could have far reaching implications for any of us wanting to go climbing, skiing or walking by air?
Post edited at 16:58
 Brass Nipples 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Tim Bateman:

If your interpretation is correct you can't take razor blades in the hold either. Prepare for rugged bearded mountaineers climbing Alpine Peaks cutting steps with their hands.
 Neil Williams 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Tim Bateman:
You can; I did about a month ago. The website is crap, I've alerted them to it but they still haven't fixed it.

Do pack them carefully, though - it would be rubbish if they ripped through someone else's bag.

FWIW, even if it was true the airline has no control over what is carried; security checks are the responsibility of the airport.
Post edited at 17:03
 earlsdonwhu 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Tim Bateman:

Seems odd.... Ski poles seemingly excluded but you can presumably pay for skis as sports goods and your poles would be in the hold with them.
 Phil Tucker 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Good luck with that. I tried asking a question about sports baggage a few years ago. When I eventually got a reply all it did was point me to the webpage I was asking about.

If easyjet do give a useful response then a post would be useful but it may be better to let sleeping dogs lie, I've never had problems or heard of people having problems with axes etc in hold luggage.

Phil
 nation1 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Tim Bateman:
I usually fly with easy jet to Switzerland, Ive always assumed that axes and crampons, v threaders ice screws etc were not allowed in hand luggage with any airline as they are potential weapons and sharp so I've always put them in the hold, I've never had any trouble with them in the hold, the only bother with easyjet is that as I use a soft base camp luggage bag I have to go to a separate screening station before my luggage is loaded onto the aircraft. I guess people do get away with it however if the attendant on the X Ray machine does not pick up these sharp objects then what hope do we have for safe air travel.

I know of someone who had their rope taken off of them at east mids airport, I guess it's just pot luck ??
Post edited at 18:36
 nniff 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Tim Bateman:

You're not allowed on if you're got a cold either - viruses are banned too.
 planetmarshall 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:
> FWIW, even if it was true the airline has no control over what is carried; security checks are the responsibility of the airport.

Not strictly true. The airline reserves the right to dictate what can and cannot be carried on their aircraft. See

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2200&pageid=12681

Some items need to have the approval of the airline before you can take them on board.
Post edited at 13:02
 Neil Williams 23 Nov 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

De-facto true, though, at least for any "straighforward" stuff. The airport and baggage handlers run the security operation, not the airline.

An example is that easyJet used to disallow all razors (even safety razors) in hand luggage, but as airport security is standard for all airlines they couldn't in practice prevent it.
In reply to Tim Bateman:

The following is taken from the easyjet Website regarding prohibited items.

"The following items are not permitted in cabin baggage, but are permitted as hold luggage:

Pointed/Edged Weapons and Sharp Objects:
Ski and walking/hiking pole and crampons
Axes, ice axes, ice picks & hatchets"

From this it is crystal clear that ice climbers and trekkers can take their pointed items in their hold luggage - thank goodness.

In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

It appears they have finally fixed it after over a year of being wrong - that paragraph used to be in the "not allowed at all" section at the top - indeed, it was when I looked yesterday!
 ChrisJD 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yep, that's only just changed.

Still surprising what you 'can' take in Hold Luggage though!

But no mention of Lions heads ....
(Cecil)
 kerry cooper 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Tim Bateman:

These items have always been written into the rules, but I'm not aware of anyone ever having them refused and I know of hundreds of people have taken flights out to the Alps with this kind nd of gear in their hold bags.
In reply to kerry cooper:

They haven't for hold luggage. It was an error on easyJet's banned items website which has been wrong for just over a year. It was correct before that, and it appears it is correct now.
OP Tim Bateman 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Tim Bateman:

Yep, looks like it's been amended now thank goodness.
I've been carrying all manner of pointy things in my hold luggage with Easyjet/Ryanair for many years now. I was just a bit surprised the other day when I saw their statement had changed.
Looks like our Dolomites Ice climbing is back on !
Thanks for all the comments.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...