UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: It's nice to share something that actually matters a little bit...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Nov 2015
Alex Honnold soloing in the Orco valley, 3 kbFred Moix has put together what he calls "an illustrated interview" with Alex Honnold.

In between some onsight solos in the Orco valley, Alex talks about climbing, travelling, free soloing and how it came to be that he started the Honnold Foundation which focuses on...

Read more
 ericinbristol 23 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Bravo.
 Mick Ward 24 Nov 2015
In reply to ericinbristol:

Agree. Seems as though he's doing his best to push himself and leave the world a slightly better place. Good on him. An inspiration to us all.

Mick
 ericinbristol 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:

I found that bit much more enjoyable than the watching him soloing, which just gives me the heebie-jeebies!
 Mick Ward 24 Nov 2015
In reply to ericinbristol:

I know. I wasn't going to say it but, at the start of one sequence, I thought, 'Please, let him have a rope on...' and, of course, he hadn't.

Absolutely no reflection on his ability, judgement or anything else. He's obviously world-class at what he does. And I would imagine that his sense of when to go for it/when to back off is mega-refined.

But... I think we'd all like him to be around in 20 years time, shaking greying locks and muttering wryly, "Can't believe I used to do this stuff...'

Mick
 Pete Pozman 24 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Something about the way he was talking makes me think: Stop soloing now Alex.
The soundtrack with the accelerated clock ticking in the music.... Time to stop before the clock stops.
 Offwidth 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Why does no one say this about top end alpinists, especially in the greater ranges, where the cumulative risks are arguably higher?
In reply to Offwidth:

I think it's the visceral response that watching someone clinging to their life with their fingertips evokes. Alpinism is generally a much bigger bag of risk management and is harder to appreciate simply in one photo.
 lithos 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

dunno speed / lack-o-faff is so much more important in top end alpinism would be my guess.
 Offwidth 25 Nov 2015
In reply to lithos:

?... and not for Alex Honold solo on El, Cap...??
 Mike Goldthorp 26 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Nice, pretty insightful guy that Honnold.
 JJL 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Mike Goldthorp:

> Nice, pretty, insightful guy that Honnold.

Fixed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...