UKC

INTERVIEW: Making a Mark - The Artwork of Tessa Lyons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 25 Nov 2015
Jetrunner, Bamford Edge, 3 kbTessa Lyons is 27 and based in Sheffield. She is an artist and climber with a special interest in mountainous landscapes, whose artwork has been featured nationwide in a variety of exhibitions. You may recognise her climbing-inspired drawings from regular inclusion in the BMC's Summit Magazine or in promotional material for outdoor events such as the Kendal Mountain Festival.

Natalie Berry asks Tessa some questions to find out what inspires her stunning work and how she combines her passion for climbing and art.

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

I'm afraid I've never seen mountains or landscapes look as depressing as her pictures make them look.
 Wft 25 Nov 2015

In contrast to the previous poster I have the Stanage print framed on my wall and smile everytime I see it, thanks Tessa.

It would be a Millstone facing the wrong-way but I always see the Masters Edge print as having Win Hill as the summit.

In the interest of healthy discussion yesbutno which pieces of landscape/mountain art do you like?
 steveriley 25 Nov 2015

Thanks for this write up - I'd never seen Tessa's stuff before. I'm earmarking a spot for Master's Edge right now.
 thommi 25 Nov 2015

Lovely stuff.
 bensilvestre 25 Nov 2015
I've always felt Tessa's pictures, especially the moodier ones, evoke in me similar feelings to the ones I might feel walking in to attempt a long awaited route. Feelings of nervousness and anticipation, perhaps a small amount of fear, but all the while appreciation for being in a beautiful environment. Mountains especially are beautiful to look at but hostile in character, thus the more photographic and less interpretive style of drawing them tends to evoke less of a feeling that I can relate to being in them for any length of time. These pictures on the other hand remind me of what it can be like to be in those places. This link between climbing and art is very interesting to me.
Post edited at 14:36
 Nye Meerkat 25 Nov 2015

Love her work, I think the depth of the experience of being in the hills is impossible to match on canvas, that boiling down of the essence of it to monochrome seems the only way to do it truly do it justice...
The Jet Runner piece is actually based on one of my photos, (taken on a camera phone on a wild, blustery day!) so the photo of mine of the artist holding the print based on a photo of mine is delightfully meta lol.
 simon kimber 25 Nov 2015
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

> I'm afraid I've never seen mountains or landscapes look as depressing as her pictures make them look.

Obviously never been to the Peak on a cold and drizzly weekend.
In reply to bensilvestre:

You would say that wouldn't you...

I really like your drawings Tessa. I need to make room on my wall for one.

Tom
 butterworthtom 25 Nov 2015

I've never seen these before. They are really beautiful!

Whenever I have previously seen art based on climbing it has always been a bit naff. These on the other hand definitely evoke the emotion of the locations and scenes depicted.

I want the masters edge one on my wall!
 Yanis Nayu 25 Nov 2015

I like them.
 Mark Collins 25 Nov 2015

Thanks I like the Master's Edge, something unique for the climbing fraternity. I think I saw this and others in Outside once.
 The Ivanator 01 Dec 2015

Fantastic to see Tessa getting this coverage, she really captures the "spirit of place" that makes the wilder parts of our landscape so special.
Particularly pleasing as she is a former student of mine (Art BTEC at Alton College about 10 years ago).
In reply to The Ivanator:

I feel the same way.

It's interesting that the word 'moody' is usually interpreted as meaning something sombre or negative. I feel that Tessa's artwork reflects the wide range of moods/emotions I feel whilst outdoors, climbing - both good and bad, positive and negative etc...

As an aside I also studied at Alton College, but that would have been around 12-13 years ago now. Not sure if you were teaching there around that time Ivanator?
 The Ivanator 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Been here since 1999 - so I was probably around, probably didn't cross paths unless you studied Art.

Ivan

Much though I would have loved to, I suspect I would have failed

That said, I had a great time at Alton. Gather there's a reasonably new-ish climbing wall at the sport centre too?
 The Ivanator 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Yes the indoor wall has been there for about 6 years now - small, but good setting and a decent modern facility, I like it. I'm teaching Art to one of the British Junior bouldering squad this year, suspect she may surpass Tessa's climbing exploits, will have to go some to match her Artistically though!
 Wft 02 Dec 2015

> I'm teaching Art to one of the British Junior bouldering squad this year, suspect she may surpass Tessa's climbing exploits, will have to go some to match her Artistically though!

I wouldn't be so sure, Tessa's pretty handy at climbing too

felt 02 Dec 2015

A few more paint/ink splodges and that Castleton Tower, Utah one would be a Ralph Steadman. Great stuff.
 The Ivanator 02 Dec 2015
In reply to GuyVG:

I know, the pair of them both make me painfully aware of my status as a bumbling old punter. The girl I teach this year could be one to watch for in the comps over the next few years though, she is a talent.
 Sean Kelly 02 Dec 2015

Is Tessa related to Tom Lyons by any chance, also from an art background?
 JayPee630 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Really really lovely work, and good website, but it's a bit over designed. I went to buy something, and it's a bit unclear what section you go to, and you have to click on individual pieces to see the price and whether it's even for sale.

Think you'd make more sales if you sorted that out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...