UKC

Thinking of doing a half marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockjedi12345 26 Nov 2015
So I am thinking of doing a half marathon in may next year. (The clay trails half)

Can anyone recommend a training app, or schedule that I could use to plan my training?

Im an overweight 30 something (nearer the 40 mark). I run intermittently now mainly off road between 5k to 10kk on thecoastpath and moors around where I live in Cornwall.

There is so much advice on the net that it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff

Thanks in advance
 nicmac 26 Nov 2015
In reply to rockjedi12345:

The BUPA one is fairly straightforward
http://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/directory/r/running-programme-half...
and download the strava app
 BusyLizzie 28 Nov 2015

I ran my first half marathon just before my 50th birthday. The lovely thing about a half is that actually you can walk it in a perfectly respectable time, so even if you don't run all the way you will get round. And finishing feels so good!
L
OP rockjedi12345 29 Nov 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

That's reassuring. I'm not a runner by any stretch so that is food to know. I have until may to train..
 BusyLizzie 30 Nov 2015

I am doing the Reading half again this year, and it always feels like a slog to get through the winter and keep running, and trying to build up the distance at which I am comfortable. Perseverence, early mornings, sessions in the rain when you don't feel like it...

... but so good when you finish the race!
cb294 30 Nov 2015

If you are not setting yourself an ambitious time and have a reasonable baseline fitness a half marathon is doable without any further training.

You can just think of it as two of your regular training runs. Take some speed off the first, so you get through your second.

I didn´t run for ages either (but do longish hikes and cycle to work), and recently just ran something like 28km in a charity race (point to point, hence the weird distance).

CB

PS: I am 47 yo and weigh about 100kg
 Neil Williams 30 Nov 2015
In reply to cb294:
I agree. Being a bit overweight but having started running 5-10k regular runs like you (but having done a bit of distance walking so I know I have the stamina), I decided to go out and see what I could do on a relatively flat half marathon around the local area, and came in at around 1h58. Since then I've done a few races and typically come in sub 2hrs (but not by much) on road halves, and around 2h15 on trail.

I'd suggest to give it a go (don't start too fast!) and see what time you get, then look to train to improve where you have issues. A half is very accessible unlike a marathon.

Neil
Post edited at 08:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...