UKC

Lake district floods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 07 Dec 2015
Any locals or visitors have any pictures of nature reclaiming herself?
 JDC 07 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Facebook has been full of them for the last couple of days. try Cumbria Crack for starters.
 Jack 07 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:
Not sure if you are just trying to be lighthearted about hundreds (thousands? - it's been quite bad) of people's tragedys or haven't really thought about the tone of your post. I truly hope nature never tries to reclaim your house - it really is a bit of a pisser, as nature tends to come off best.
 Dax H 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Jack:

Nature will win but there are ways of dealing with it.
It seems that every few years we have floods yet people still buy houses on low lying ground by rivers. Buy a house by a river and you have to expect that it might occasionally flood.
Every house I have ever bought has been on top of a hill, if I flood 99% of Leeds is gone.
 summo 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Dax H:

> Nature will win but there are ways of dealing with it.
> It seems that every few years we have floods yet people still buy houses on low lying ground by rivers. Buy a house by a river and you have to expect that it might occasionally flood.

I think many of these people live quite a distance from a river and many of those cut off by lost bridges in various valleys probably do live up hill.

Perhaps the better argument to push is for less bare moorland and more replanting of forests. The NP will of course rather see alpine style concrete river channels through every town, than allow their precious hills to be improved.
 John Kelly 08 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

bit off topic but loved this easy to use site - assume its based on EA data

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/
OP goldmember 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Jack:

I never intended to callous. What i was referring to was not flooded towns or property rather, countryside in flood.
Like the Malham waterfall.
 Dervey 08 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:
Cumbria crack has plenty, as does the News and Star FB page. It's devastating, worse than 2005.
 RyanOsborne 08 Dec 2015
In reply to summo:

> Perhaps the better argument to push is for less bare moorland and more replanting of forests. The NP will of course rather see alpine style concrete river channels through every town, than allow their precious hills to be improved.

Sorry for thread hijack, but what's your experience of this in Sweden, do the forested hills help prevent flooding?
 tony 08 Dec 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Sorry for thread hijack, but what's your experience of this in Sweden, do the forested hills help prevent flooding?

George Monbiot has a piece about this:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/07/hide-evidence-storm-de...

It's been a pet subject of his for a while.
 RyanOsborne 08 Dec 2015
In reply to tony:

Good old George. What do you reckon to the idea?
 toad 08 Dec 2015
In reply to tony:

One of the good things about Monbiot (and possibly down to a scientific education) is that his articles may be polemical, but he backs them up with references, particularly the versions on his own website (monbiot.com) rather than the Guardian versions, which get edited. However, even this piece includes a reference to the research on infiltration at Pontbren

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hyp.9826/abstract - you'll need an academic login to read more than the abstract, but it's an important study.
 tony 08 Dec 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Good old George. What do you reckon to the idea?

I'm far from being competent to say anything very useful, but experience does suggest that the run-off from bare slopes is quite different to that from wooded slopes. And of course, it wouldn't be surprising for vested interests to play a part in suppressing contrary views.
 summo 08 Dec 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:
> Sorry for thread hijack, but what's your experience of this in Sweden, do the forested hills help prevent flooding?

There is still flooding, we had the same weather system streaming over us from Friday to Sunday, plus another storm the previous weekend, the former being worse in terms of wind with lots of trees down and later wetter. There are still flood warnings out now in many places. So trees certainly don't remove all the problems, but not the loss of power or homeless folk like the UK. Here there are also a huge number more lakes and marshes to absorb the water before it reaches a river system. In the UK even farm land is heavily drained with many buried pipes etc.. so the run from all types of terrain is pretty quick.

Something I never thought of too much until a surveyor friend visited us, was that only in the cities and large towns do roads or tarmacs areas have a drainage system. Everywhere else, roads are generally a little higher than the ground around them and pretty extensive ditches either side. Not like a French drain though, no gravel or anything. The soak away is into the soil and the water runs off the roads as they are slightly pitched to help the water on it's way. This type of road also gives them somewhere to shove the snow in winter and plenty of visibility for animals emerging from the forest. As land is plentiful urban areas still have lots of green spaces too, even in cities. They will expand a city outwards, rather than build on all the spaces within it.

The lakes had exceptional rainfall, but it wasn't that exceptional, there have been other extreme floods in the past decade, or even the wee storm that eventually stopped the KIMM. So something needs to be done, as it is logical to assume there will be more every few years. More forests, ponds, lakes, dams, marshland to absorb the flow. All the houses could have gravel not concrete driveways. All houses can collect rain water from their roofs. Every farmer can have a grant to dig a small dam or pond on major streams on their land. Many little measures to delay the surge and avoid a peak, which any of us who walked in the hills grasp, as when it's really lashing down, streams come up and down in a few hours.
Post edited at 11:07
 Jack 08 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Ok thanks. Sorry if I jumped down your throat - it was a stressful weekend - and I got off very lightly.

Jack
 wbo 08 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember: Not sweden but parts of southern Norway have suffered flooding this week. Volume of water.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...