UKC

Hip pain from running?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 07 Dec 2015
Evening all,
For a long time now (approx a year) I've been getting periodic hip pain (right side ie opposite to my heart) after running. The pain generally starts as a very mild ache at the end of a run that gets worse rapidly after the run peaking later that day. Fast runs will make it much worse as will long distances (though to a lesser extent). A 1.5 miler flat out left me struggling to walk that afternoon. I don't run regularly and I'm not a trained runner. Also noticed the odd twinge when doing moves with that leg straight out to the side.
Apologies for the rambling post, any advice, diagnosis or mickey taking appreciated.
Greasy
 DaveHK 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Might be ITB rather than hip joint. Plenty of advice online about treatment.
In reply to DaveHK:

Ok thanks Dave I'll have a look. Was under the impression that ITB wouldn't last this long but it's worth researching.
 ClimberEd 08 Dec 2015

Could be

- tight ITB
- tight glutes
- tight hip flexors

I run as part of long distance triathlon and had hip pain last summer for the first time. For me (N=1) static stretching and physio massage didn't help but mobility exercises after training did and I noticed the results within a week or two.

Gentle rolling was also a bonus on this but it was the mobility exercises (essentially dynamic stretching but without 'lunging movements') that worked.

sanguine 08 Dec 2015

Can you say more about the location of the pain? Inside the hip joint or more to the surface?
In reply to sanguine:

It feels inside the hip, there's nothing to see from the outside either.

Thanks ClimberEd, can you remember any of the mobility exercises?
 sanguine 08 Dec 2015

I had something similar to this pain and attended the physio here for treatment. He said that such injuries can take a while to recover from, and the standard RICE treatment path is insufficient. He recommended to me a combination of stretching and strengthening exercises:

Stretching - anything that stretches the ITB & hip flexors
Strengthening
- using an elastic training band, attach it somewhere low and around your ankle. Keeping your leg mostly straight, perform leg raises (no higher than 20-30 degrees angle with your standing leg). Perform these leg raises facing NSWE i.e. lift up with band attached behind you (N), lift leg back while facing the band attachment (S), and then both perpendicular directions (EW) - not sure if that was very clear.
- light squats, deadlifts etc. will also aid recovery.

Rest, with no running for a couple of weeks. My physio advised me that when the pain goes away from day to day activity, there would still be another 2-3 weeks of recovery & rest required.

Some extra reading:
http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-may-2004/stretching-and-strengthening-exerci...

wbo 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks: Go and see a physio as 'hip pain' on the outside is a very vague disagnostic. ITB syndrome is a possibilty if the pain feels like it's on the outside, and usually just below the hipbone and on/bove the knee on the outside. It will be painful and can be very persisent.

Shoes, surface, running style all come into play here

In reply to sanguine:

Thanks for the reply sanguine, very useful. I think those exercises are worth a go.

Also thanks to wbo. I can see a trip to the Dr/physio on the horizon, will try and avoid it though as it's a bit of a waste of NHS time/money!

Update: few hundred metres running with a 10kg rucksack yesterday, pain back again today. Very odd!
 The New NickB 08 Dec 2015

> Update: few hundred metres running with a 10kg rucksack yesterday, pain back again today. Very odd!

That doesn't seem odd to me at all.
In reply to The New NickB:

No I suppose not. Just surprised it could be set off that easily. I'm new to this long term injury thing
 ClimberEd 08 Dec 2015

There's a list half way down this blog

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/05/mobility-for-endurance-athletes...

I use most of these. Ignore the 'americanism' of the style, the content is sound
 mav 08 Dec 2015

do what mbo says and see a physio - preferably a sports physio. It could be caused by anything - for instance a change in running gait when working hard (speaking from experience here - I have a tendency to twist hip on uphills to alleviate pain in right foot, which then brings on pain in hip
 blackcat 21 Dec 2015
What it could possibly be is iliapsoas tendonitis, common in all types of athletics.Symptoms can vary,but usually people will complain of an achy pain around the iliac region(top of and front of the hip bone,some people feel the ache when simply turning over in bed.Theres a muscle (iliac)that runs down the inside face of the hip bone which connects the the very deep long muscle called the psoas.It can get injured by a small tear or by sitting for long periods and shortens.A friend of mine had this two years ago, and was successfully treated by a physio with stretching exercises and lots of rest,once it settled down then they went to work on specific strengthing excercises,hope this helps.
Post edited at 15:52
 yorkshireman 21 Dec 2015
> Also thanks to wbo. I can see a trip to the Dr/physio on the horizon, will try and avoid it though as it's a bit of a waste of NHS time/money!

I'd disagree - its not like if you see a physio then he/she would otherwise have been performing open-heart surgery or treating a child with leukemia that afternoon.

There could be underlying causes and its best to get them checked. You sound like a healthy individual and by the fact that you're running regularly and staying fit you're doing more than the majority of the population to not be a burden on the NHS.

And quite frankly, chronic pain that eventually stops you doing, or curtails your enjoyment of, something you love becomes a quality of life issue.

FWIW I've had underlying hip/back pain for years - its horrendously complicated and the causes are myriad. Something as simple as a sprained ankle that never healed properly causing you to overcompensate your running on one side can have knock-on effects on the rest of your body. Self-diagnosis on the internet, however tempting, is inevitably futile*.
Post edited at 17:39
 BFG 24 Dec 2015
Honestly your best bet is to go see a physio. Pain in the hip can be both referred pain from multiple locations, or the actual cause maybe elsewhere.

For example, you can experience pain in the hip from back problems and nerve compression, or it could be a compensation injury because of an ankle issue.

I’m guessing (and this is a guess) that it hasn’t always been this bad? Or have you been living with pain for a year that leaves you struggling to walk? Either way that’s a chronic, potentially deteriorating condition and you should seek a clinician's advice.
Post edited at 14:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...