UKC

Weather / meteorology books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 09 Dec 2015

Hi all

I'm looking for a highly recommended book/books on the subject of weather/meteorology. Ideally looking for one that explains things with physics, rather than just saying "the wind circles around lows anti-clockwise, because I said so", and focuses on more mundane weather than "wow looky here at this tornado whirlimagig and these funny shaped clouds!!."

Any help appreciated, cheers.
Post edited at 14:13
 marie_p 09 Dec 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

I use this for teaching:

Meteorology Today by Donald Ahrens

It might be of use to you. As it's an academic text it's pretty expensive for the up to date version. There's plenty of old ones kicking about though!
In reply to SenzuBean:

A book called 'Atmosphere, weather and climate' was the standard text back when I was an undergraduate being taught such things and a quick search suggests that it has been updated but retains the withering price tag of an academic book. Perhaps search second-hand shops in a university town for a copy?

T.
 tony 09 Dec 2015
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> A book called 'Atmosphere, weather and climate' was the standard text back when I was an undergraduate being taught such things and a quick search suggests that it has been updated but retains the withering price tag of an academic book. Perhaps search second-hand shops in a university town for a copy?

Or 2nd-hand on Abebooks - lots of copies there.
OP SenzuBean 09 Dec 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:
Thanks all for the suggestions - both books seem exactly what I'm after. 'Atmosphere, weather and climate' looks a bit easier (haven't touched hard maths for about 3 years now, so might be hard to jump into) and significantly cheaper for latest edition, so went for that first - and if I am still keen to learn after, will get the other one.
Post edited at 16:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...