UKC

Bothy Life

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
aultguish 10 Dec 2015

BBC2 Scotland now

Post edited at 23:57
 DaveHK 11 Dec 2015
In reply to aultguish:

I'm really surprised there has been no discussion about this on here. It was a great wee program.
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave,

We reported it: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=70115

But I have to admit I've not had time to watch it yet myself (recorded it for later)
 gavmac 11 Dec 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Yes, very good. There was a striking contrast in generations. The younger folks using lots of words to say very little and the older guys using a few words to say a lot. Well worth a watch.
 cousin nick 11 Dec 2015
In reply to gavmac:

A very interesting programme, and hats off to the MBA volunteers. Being Cornwall-based I don't get to use Scottish bothies that often, but much appreciate them when I do.
There are some great programmes on BBC Scotland that unfortunately those of us down south can't get 'live', unless I believe, you've got Sky. However, you can still catch it later on iPlayer. The Adventure Show is another of my favourites and a good showcase for outdoor activities in Scotland.
All in all some better programmes than the $hite we get down here!
N
Bellie 11 Dec 2015
In reply to cousin nick:

If you have freeview, you can find BBC Scotland. Mine is Ch 855 for BBC1. and BBC2 is close by.

Removed User 11 Dec 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Good in parts. Old footage of people going to the hills was interesting if only for the historical reference. The (very) small bits on bothy maintenance were worthwhile and the carrying in of chairs to Sandy's had some good shots in them. I enjoyed the short bits with the history of individual bothys, would have liked a bit more of that. There wasn't much in the program about what people actually do when they stay in bothies, apart from the MTB folk in the opening minutes. Quite what the overlong scenes of the guys sking where all about I've no idea. I think the program started well but fell apart when it switched to the tired format of rather wooden talking heads talking to camera punctuated with nervous laughs. My partner pointed out that the 'work party' at Allt Scheicheachan looked for all the world like a bunch of neds on a weekend away from the misses. Well, they all did appear to be clutching a can of Tennants. To me the program lacked a consistent thread. There was no story being told. Even the bit about the grim bag change at Corrour failed. No background or reasoning why it even needed doing? All in all it didn't capture atmosphere of bothying. 5 out of 10.
 DaveHK 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

>Quite what the overlong scenes of the guys sking where all about I've no idea.

I agree that was bizarre, it was almost like they thought the whole bothy thing wasn't interesting enough.

The reason it had no consistent thread is that everyone has their own bothy stories and the only consistent threads are love of the outdoors and the bothy itself. I thought those two ideas came across rather nicely.

Removed User 11 Dec 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Thought this is much better;
youtube.com/watch?v=hOrcWFZ-q-4&
 JohnnyW 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Got to admit I agree. I was looking forward to it, but found it most disjointed.

I always worry about 'publicity' for bothies, and the additional usage it may produce, but I am not sure this will bring as many folks as I feared, (in a selfish kind of way, but you know what I mean!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...