UKC

Tenby climbing restrictions ? 1st two weeks in May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zigzag 11 Dec 2015
I shall be holidaying in Tenby May 8th to 15th next year and wondered about access on Giltar slabs area, I would also be looking for a climbing partner for a couple of days on low to medium grade routes
I've been climbing for 45 years so I'm quite experienced though I'm knocking on a bit.
I hope I get an answer to my first question and hopefully also to my second,
Thanks
 John2 11 Dec 2015
In reply to zigzag:

There will be no restrictions in the Giltar Slabs area. There are no bird restrictions that far east, and although there is an army firing range in the area it is allowed to walk past its boundary even when firing is in progress.
In reply to zigzag:

Hi zigzag, giltar slabs will sometimes be closed midweek if they are firing at penally. You can't find out the firing programme this far in advance.

Giltar should be open every weekend and i think every evening, even if they are firing daytime midweek.

Becks point is only 500m west of there but is open all the time. As are the lydstep crags (mother Careys etc). I live about 3 miles away and could be up for getting out one day, I can't compete with your experience as I've only been climbing 30 years.

For low - mid grade climbing the crags near st David's are better and are never closed for firing, but they are about an hours drive from Tenby.
In reply to John2:

Giltar is in the area that is closed when penally range is firing. Becks bay and crags further west are always accessible.
 John2 12 Dec 2015
In reply to mountain.martin:

Have things changed in the last few years? I have definitely walked along that section of coast when firing has been taking place and sentries have been placed at the entrances to the firing range.
In reply to John2:

If you park on the roadside in penally and walk up the fence line you meet the coast near bubble ton crags. If they are firing the range to the left (east) of the fence then red flags will be flying and there will be a sentry on duty. Giltar is in that area. All the cliffs to the right (west) of the fence are unrestricted which includes becks bay. To be honest I'm not sure if I have ever asked the sentry if I can walk into the flagged area i have only been that way once when they were firing and I just assumed I couldn't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...