UKC

Peli cases

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mikkel 12 Dec 2015
Anyone using a Peli / storm case for their camera gear?
Thinking of getting one but not sure if to go for the pick and pluck foam or the dividers you can get.
Leaning towards the foam as it just looks like it will give a much better fit.
 Mal Grey 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Mikkel:

I use one in the canoe. The pick and pluck works well, though I suspect it tends to mean you get less in the case than you might expect, and you need to plan it fairly carefully if its for more than one item.

The cases are heavy, but they really are tough, and they really are waterproof (just check the seal is OK every now and then, and there's nothing trapped in it). Mine has been swamped, turned upside down in whitewater spills, and generally abused massively over probably a hundred trips.

They're also quick to open up, hence work well for me in the canoe. I wouldn't like to lug one too far though!

Finally, they make a fantastic occasional table around camp, just the right height for your glass of wine, or freshly brewed coffee, if sat on one of the posh folding chairs like Helinox. Having a canoe means such luxuries are often to hand...

SouthernSteve 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Mikkel:
I have several for work (cameras and other kit), I like the dividers better than the foam generally and have the screw in mesh pockets in the lid of one case which is really handy, but have foam in the case for my DSLR bodies. The pick and pluck does a good job, but with daily use needs to be replaced every couple of years. The foam costs about £30 for the 1550 which is quite a big case and so probably cheaper than the dividers even if bought 2 or 3 times.

P.S. Calumet ones are a little cheaper and slightly deeper and squarer which sometimes suits better.
Post edited at 17:28
OP Mikkel 12 Dec 2015
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Thanks guys, i have a couple of their smaller cases, and used a 1200 for my DSLR when canoeing back when i only had 1 lens.
Actually looking at a iM2600 as i want something where i can carry my 150-500 and another lens or 2.
Good to hear about the mesh lid thing as i was not quite sure about that but think i will get that too when i eventually get one.
 richprideaux 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Mikkel:

I use a new Peli for my bodies and lenses, and then get these from my friend's business up the road. They are used, but so far all the ones I've purchased have been fully functioning and do as well as the Peli cases. The Peli ones they stock are actually still under the Peli lifetime warranty thingy - I had two new clasps sent over free of charge from Peli earlier in the year.

If you are in North Wales it is worth the trip to see the stuff they don't have listed on the website:

http://www.denbigharmysurplus.co.uk/collections/ammo-boxes-and-storage/prod...
 mlt 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Mikkel:

Good cases, I've got a few. But I've never used the pick and pluck foam, mainly because all my stuff fits in snugly and any dead space I do want to customise the fit on I use old pieces of 10mm closed cell foam/camping mat. Works well.
 Dax H 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Mikkel:

I use a peli case for work. It houses my digital and electronic test gear and so far has been faultless.
Personally I like pick and pluck because it hols my gear very snug and though I only go in to the case once a day or so the foam is still good after 4 years.
 tehmarks 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Mikkel:

I use a Peli Storm with dividers and lid organiser for work as a production/tool case (not camera-related), and it's ideal. I have no doubt that it'll survive everything that I (and baggage handlers) can throw at it.

The dividers are a bit rubbish though, and for camera equipment I'd definitely go with foam.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...