UKC

Chamonix conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gscw 13 Dec 2015
How is the ice in Chamonix area?

Thanks.

Graeme.
 Pete Houghton 14 Dec 2015
In reply to gscw:

A friend of mine climbed at Rive Gauche the other day and said it was "thin and wet". They went drytooling in the afternoon instead.
 climbersion 23 Dec 2015
In reply to gscw:

Just back from the Argentiere basin, poor climbing conditions, very dry with little ice.
The north faces look very dry and out of condition.

Glaciers very open for this time of year.

Many people heading to Rive Gauche.
In reply to gscw:

English Route (and by the looks of it other nearby routes) on the Sans Nom Face in good nick. The Pierre Allain on the Dru was climbed last week too, and also looks to be in steady shape. During the descent from the Couvercle hut it looked like routes Ice is nice and the Sorrenson-Eastman looked pretty white, could be worth a look.

There was a track up the Eugster Diagonal on the Midi today, and a team returning from the Chere couloir. Charli-Chassagne looks (from a distance) to have ice on it.

There's definitely thing's to have a poke on.

Cheers
myrockface 23 Dec 2015
In reply to gscw:

Went climbing at EMHM ice falls last week and had some collapses, was quite lucky to be unscathed actually! Up the Midi today for the Midi - Plan traverse which was in good nick except a few snowy gullies, if we weren't breaking trail it would have been fine. Only saw it from a distance but i'd say there's a few things open on Triangle du Tacul, looked like plenty of ice and a few teams - can't imagine anything is on beneath the Midi at the moment (saw 2 huge serac collapses on North Face Midi at about midday today).
 chalk monster 17 Jan 2016
In reply to gscw:
There was no climbable ice at the start of week Mon 11 Jan at Rive La Gauche/Droite!
 blackcat 05 Feb 2016
In reply to gscw: Any updates on ice conditions around argentiere,cheers.

edunn 05 Feb 2016
In reply to blackcat:

Free bump as I'd like to know too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...