UKC

Blue ice Warthog 26 vs Montane Cobra 25 for Multipitch & Alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 14 Dec 2015
Come on then, fellas. Fight it out.
 More-On 14 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

Warthog for me as it has a 'proper' lid and no zip to fail/freeze. The helmet holder and rope strap are very useful on a pack this size and the completely removable waist strap works for me.
I've also found it to be bombproof - I slide and cartwheeled 1000ft wearing mine a couple of winters back and it has barely a scratch on it, unlike the owner!
 johnt 14 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

I think the waistbelt system on the Montane Cobra is a little too complicated / over engineered on such a small pack and it is not removeable. Also, I have found that the waistbelt buckle breaks easily (I own loads of rucksacks and have never broken a waistbelt buckle on any of them except the Montane Cobra - 2 waistbelt buckles have broken so far and although they were replaced by Montane I have now bought something a bit more burly). Anyway, the new Blue Ice 28 litre Warthog comes out next year so it may be worthwhile hanging on if you don't need a new rucksack right now.
 galpinos 14 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

Out of those two, the Warthog. Lighter, simpler, no zip, can be over packed, jazzy helmet holder, looks more durable. No brainier (The Cobra is ~850g!).

However, I got an Ascentionist 25 for just this use for silly cheap off the EpicTV shop (thanks neuromancer!) but I've yet to use it properly in anger.
 HeMa 14 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

I'm going to say Warthog...

And Google agrees:
http://www.googlefight.com/blue+ice+warthog+26-vs-montane+cobra+25.php
OP BnB 14 Dec 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Wow. That's really neat. Wish you could drill down but cool nonetheless
 Brian Pollock 14 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

Simond Cliff 20 from Decathlon is £13 and pretty much perfect for a no faff multipitch rock bag. Less than half the weight of the other 2 and costs less than 3 pints...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cliff-20-ii-blue-backpack-id_8302352.html
In reply to BnB: Another +1 for the Warthog. Great sac. FWIW I've just removed the waist belt completely.

OP BnB 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking at something which will carry 35l of gear in a 25l package. And I'm at an age where budget isn't the most important feature. Amongst others I gave a lot of consideration to this:

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&model=Alpha-FL-30-Backpack

but reviews suggest it is a bit sweaty against the back which is a no-no for me.
 Brian Pollock 14 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

Arcteryx Cierzo 25?

I got the 35L version on Ebay (which isn't made anymore) and I know some friends who use the 25. It's pretty affordable for Arcteryx. Probably nowhere near as durable at the Alpha but mine has coped with a winter rack, crampons, axes without too much wear, though I did nick it the other day with a bulldog. You can also get access to the back panel from inside the bag so you can beef up the back support if carrying heavier loads (in the 35 version at least). Should be fine for summer rock.
 JayPee630 14 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:
I had a Montane Cobra which on paper was perfect for what you suggest, and looked great as a do-everything summer/winter pack. But I just couldn't get on with it. When not fully packed the lid and top half just didn't sit right. And the capacity was a bit annoying... not quite small enough or not quite big enough. Got rid of it and use a Crux AK37, which while not perfect, is a much better size - think it's quite a snug 37 though tbh.
Post edited at 23:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...