UKC

Running routes Glasgow centre - advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harri777 14 Dec 2015
I'll be working in Glasgow tomorrow and will have time to get out for a run in the evening. By that time of course it'll be dark and I don't know the city very well, so I'm looking for advice on routes. I'll be staying at the Juries Inn (Jamaica St) and looking to go 3-6 miles. A run along the river seems ideal in terms of ease of navigation, but what's it like after dark for a solo (female) runner? Any advice on good routes or areas to avoid gratefully received. Or if you happen to be a member of a club that trains on tuesday nights and wouldn't mind a fairly slow runner tagging along, that could be good too.
 SeeGee 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Harri777:

You could do a simple out and back - heading south over the river until you hit Shawlands (6 - 7 k) or if I were you just run north up the hill through the city towards Sauchiehall Street, turn left towards the west end then return the same way (downhill) back to the hotel. Avoid the river....
 Hidden 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Harri777:

Here's a 5mile route that will take you through some busy enough areas, that I would consider safe.

If it were summer, then running along the river would be ideal, but it's probably not recommend at this time of year if you don't know the area.

http://onthegomap.com/?m=r&u=mi&w%5B%5D=Walking+directions+are+in+b...
 fmck 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Harri777:

If you don't know the city then there's the answer. Plan your route to take in some interesting areas. George square is busy with the Christmas fair but along the river isn't that bad. Over the bridges into the science centre area will be well lit. You could return using the single line tube system. Benefit of Glasgow is its steep hills round about Strathclyde university so you could include these as part of sprint up though some are very steep.
OP Harri777 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Harri777:

Thanks all. Hidden's route looks good, and should be reasonably difficult to get lost since the river's always downhill...
 Hidden 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Harri777:

A few quick pointers:

- once you get past Finnieston St, its more difficult to find the river by running downhill. This is due to the train line. Best just to run back along Argyle St to get back into town
- if you get knackered, you will be passing three subway stations. Return to St Enoch's station, which is about 150m from your hotel
- the steep hill fmck mentions, is in this route Its worth doing and pretty much downhill all the way after that. You can bypass this by running to the top of Byres Rd and then along Gt Western Rd

Enjoy!
Weegie 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Harri777:
Out of the hotel, head for the river. Turn left and follow the river along the pedestrian / cycle path to Glasgow Green. Meander around the Green until your heart is content.

Return by the same route. Simples.

No worries for a solo female. Always lots of commuters, runners / walkers, dog walkers, parkies, etc out and about in the evening

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Jamaica+St,+Glasgow,+UK/55.8523217,-4.244...

Hope that link works!

Tommy.
Post edited at 13:33
 Busby 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Harri777:

The Nike shop on Buchanan street have a running club, bit late now but might be of use if you stay longer/come back.

Hope you had a good un.

Iain
Ferret 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Harri777:

Out of, and quick as possible!

So says an Edinburgh lad.......
OP Harri777 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Hidden:

Ah, you said the magic word "hill" - and it didn't disappoint. I got a bit lost on a couple of occasions so don't think I followed your route exactly, but I got the general gist. Just what I was looking for and took in lots of bits of the city I've not seen before, so thank you very much.

Thanks to others who've made suggestions as well, I will keep these for the next time I visit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...