UKC

VIDEO: UKC & Plas-y-Brenin: #6 Cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 15 Dec 2015
Instructional Videos 6 - Cams, 4 kbIn a new series on UKClimbing, we have teamed up with Plas-y-Brenin, the National Mountain Sports Centre, to cover a wide range of basic climbing techniques.. We will be explaining everything from putting on harnesses and tying figure of eights, to building belays and leading.

Read more
 climbwhenready 15 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

I haven't watched the video, but without watching it I can say that it's a shame you didn't show a wide range of suboptimal placements, different cam types, and do an in-depth comparison of cams, tricams and hex placements in the same crack. Must do better UKC.
 Mike Highbury 15 Dec 2015
In reply to climbwhenready: And mugging to the camera, we need more of that.

jezb1 15 Dec 2015

I thought that was loads better than some of the others.

Would have thought it worth mentioning about angling the stem in the direction of potential loading.
 Jack Geldard 15 Dec 2015
In reply to climbwhenready: very good!

Mick Ward 15 Dec 2015

Good video. My guess is that if people followed these basic, commonsense principles, there would be a lot less stuck cams littering the crags.

Mick
 olddirtydoggy 15 Dec 2015

It's good that these vids are coming out but there are simple details missing in some of them such as load direction as already mentioned. There's a few vids from the Glenmore Lodge I found very useful when on the learning curve and I seem to rememeber they covered a bit more. All this stuff is good though.
 cat22 16 Dec 2015

From the title I thought it was going to be about offwidths...
 henwardian 19 Dec 2015

Ugh! Ok, so some of these might be nit-picking but every one hit me straight away when watching this and I'm kinda surprised that nobody who did the editing thought "must go back and fix/add that".
Chronologically:
- Does active need moving parts? I always thought that a tricam or a hex placed in a cammed position was an active placement, maybe I'm wrong.
- You should never place a cam in the full open position indicated at the start of the video (unless its a passive placement), this is referred to when placing the red cam but starting off with "this yellow cam would be save from fully cammed to about 1/3 camed" would have been much better.
- The ideal placement is over-cammed to hell, not middle of the range! Safety first, I don't care if my second curses me the entire way up the pitch. During my climbing career, I have noticed a direct correlation between years of experience climbing and degree of overcamming when placing pro.
- There is no mention that horizontal placements should usually be done with the wide apart lobes at the bottom for stabilities sake (though it is shown placed in this way).
- There is no mention of the angle of loading and consequently the angle a cam should ideally be placed at in a vertical crack.
- There is no mention of using those nice extender slings on the Dragon/Camalot device shown.
- There is only the briefest of mentions of using cams in non-parallel sided cracks. An in depth discussion of camming angles of different devices vs increasingly flared cracks might be a bit above and beyond but a simple demo of marginal placements in flared cracks and completely failing placements in very flared cracks would have only taken a few seconds.
- Similarly, it would have been nice to show that a 4 lobe cam can still work with one lobe sticking out of the crack.
- A mention of increased force on rock over a passive placement would have been good (i.e. in dubious flakes or soft rock, put in a nut instead of a cam if at all possible.)

Ok, I'm done whining now
 jsmcfarland 19 Dec 2015
In reply to henwardian:

I look forward to your video on cam technique
 henwardian 19 Dec 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

> I look forward to your video on cam technique

I might take you up on that challenge.
But in the meantime, I'll just point out the obvious: One does not need to have done something themselves to review the effort of someone else, I mean, you don't really think the Guardian newspapers' film critic has starred in and directed 100 mil dollar films, do you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...