UKC

Bats use of rock faces - a survey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mikeshewring 15 Dec 2015
Hi All,
Looking to do some research on the use of rock faces by roosting bats and would be most grateful if anyone with experience of this could complete the short survey I have pulled together here - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/D5Z3CQK
Cheers
 Greylag 15 Dec 2015
In reply to mikeshewring:

Done, copy in your findings once complete I'll be keen to know.

Thanks
 Skip 15 Dec 2015

Haven't filled the survey in yet as not sure of species/numbers but I'm fairly sure there are bats in the cave(s) at Chudleigh. I'll check at work tomorrow.
OP mikeshewring 16 Dec 2015
In reply to greylag:

Thanks Greylag, will do.
In reply to Skip:

Hi Skip,
No need for species information if not known. FYI - not interested in cave systems as such (these are pretty well recorded) but more use of features on rock faces (although this may incl. shallow caves).
Cheers
Mike
 lone 16 Dec 2015

I've done the survey, if you can e-mail me your e-mail address I can send you the photo I took of it.

L
In reply to lone:

Thanks Ione. I have emailed you.
Cheers
Mike
 johncook 16 Dec 2015
In reply to mikeshewring: Done!

In reply to johncook:

Thanks John.
 Adam Long 16 Dec 2015

I've completed with the only info I can remember for certain as I've seen the bat(s) there more than once, although I've seen them elsewhere since. The first time I heard the bat before I saw it. I have noticed what are presumably bat droppings in the breaks too, and I suspect you might be able to survey some sites from them.
Andy Gamisou 16 Dec 2015

My mother insists all rock climbers are bats. Not sure if that helps....
In reply to Adam Long:

Thanks Adam, much appreciated. Any records of droppings also gratefully received! Drop me an email if easier and you have the time!
Cheers
Mike
 The Ivanator 16 Dec 2015

Done, but hoping this isn't going to lead to bat bans on top of the bird restrictions!
 Derek Furze 16 Dec 2015

Done. Assume you want a second reply for another occasion?
 Rachel Slater 16 Dec 2015

Done
In reply to The Ivanator:

Hi The Ivanator,
That's certainly not my aim. I'd also expect most use of rock faces by bats to be occasional and in low numbers. As such any disturbance by climbing would be unlikely to impact on the conservation status of bats, unlike disturbance in more high risk roosts such as hibernation (i.e. caves) or maternity (usually trees and buildings).
Cheers
Mike
In reply to Derek Furze:

Thanks Derek Furze. Yes please!

Completed.
 mikej 16 Dec 2015

Some organisations DO NOT have a common sense approach to this issue and I would suggest that everyone stays well clear of question 5 and the request for information about bat droppings.
OP mikeshewring 17 Dec 2015
In reply to mikej:

Hi mikej,

Hope your well. Thanks for completing the survey.

As stated in my reply to The Ivanator I would not expect disturbance by rock climbing to be of any concern to statutory nature conservation organisation as most roosts will be transitory in nature and thus disturbance would be unlikely to effect the conservation status of any bat species (this is the criteria it would be assessed against by any SNCO). Its also certainly been my experience of dealing with SNH, NRW and NE that they usually take a pragmatic approach.

The purpose of question 5 is to give me an idea of geographic spread of this use and ideally have look at rock type etc based on the responses. Happy for people to exclude route names if this is still of concern.

Drop me an email if you want to discuss further.

Cheers

MIke
OP mikeshewring 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Christheclimber:

Thanks Christtheclimber much appreciated.

I am not the Messiah!
 HB1 18 Dec 2015

Completed. One small bat in 40 odd years - I should get out more (oh, but I do)!
 tjekel 18 Dec 2015
In reply to HB1:

done - one in 30.
 Nigel Coe 07 Jan 2016

Done. One in 43 years!
OP mikeshewring 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Nigel Coe:

Thanks Nigel, much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...