UKC

Cheddar Gorge video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zigzag 16 Dec 2015

Catch the latest Bald Eagle video of Cheddar Gorge by drone, brought back many memories, superb shots and well
worth seeing,

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=630886
Rigid Raider 16 Dec 2015
In reply to zigzag:

Nice. What's the music?
abseil 16 Dec 2015
In reply to zigzag:

Great video, thanks. I like the High Rock section best [and what's the superb-looking arête on the left side of the upper face?]
abseil 16 Dec 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

> "The In Spire"

Thanks very much for that!
 Ian Parsons 17 Dec 2015
In reply to abseil:

A small point, but - assuming you're gazing up from the bottom rather than peering down from the top - The In Spire would better be described as "the superb-looking arete on the right side of the upper face". [Apologies for not managing the circumflex; Alt + 0234 simply wouldn't do it.]
In reply to Ian Parsons:

The XHTML code & # 234 ; should do it.

Test: arête.
 Ian Parsons 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Cheers Gordon - I'll check that out. (I have to confess I have no idea what it is!) Meantime, I've discovered that Alt 0234 works if the number lock is on - Arête; bingo! - but am still puzzled as to why that isn't necessary for 0232, 0233, etc. There are, however, many workings of this thing on my desk that I don't understand.
abseil 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> A small point, but - assuming you're gazing up from the bottom rather than peering down from the top - The In Spire would better be described as "the superb-looking arete on the right side of the upper face"....

Thanks a lot for your reply. What I meant in my question was - looking up from the bottom, what is the superb arete on the left side of the High Rock face? - It's not The In Spire, clearly. Thanks again. I tried to find a High Rock topo, and work it out from the UKC route descriptions, but I couldn't do either.
Post edited at 10:51
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> Cheers Gordon - I'll check that out. (I have to confess I have no idea what it is!) Meantime, I've discovered that Alt 0234 works if the number lock is on - Arête; bingo! - but am still puzzled as to why that isn't necessary for 0232, 0233, etc. There are, however, many workings of this thing on my desk that I don't understand.

Ditto. Although I am a web designer, I only understand at the level of 'how to do it', and only vaguely the 'why'. There is a huge amount of geekdom involved. Re. the code I gave above, I should have said miss out the spaces. There are two main types of code to use for symbols in web design, those starting with an ampersand followed by some letters plus a semi-colon (an "entity" reference) and those starting with ampersand, a hashtag, a number plus a semicolon (a "numeric" reference). I know that the former are considered passé, if not deprecated, while the latter are always to be preferred. Beyond that, let's leave it to the geeks, who are doing a splendid job in making everything work 'under the bonnet'.
 BALD EAGLE 17 Dec 2015
In reply to zigzag:

> Catch the latest Bald Eagle video of Cheddar Gorge by drone, brought back many memories, superb shots and well

> worth seeing,

Blimey I've just noticed this so thanks for the share zigzag and glad you enjoyed my wee video!
Cheers Dave
 Ian Parsons 17 Dec 2015
In reply to abseil:

Currently, I think, nothing climbs the actual arête - which isn't quite as well-defined as that of The In Spire. The route that comes closest is Steve Monks' "The Scarecrow" from 1979, which Nipper Harrison used a couple of years later as the top pitch of his full-height E4 "Stone The Crows"; this itself was substantially based on Paul Nunn's original mixed route "Shangri La". From a platform in the upper right side of The Amphitheatre The Scarecrow follows the obvious corner/groove (of Shangri La) just left of the line of the arête (itself left of Crow's crux crack), climbs up past a small cave, skirts the righthand end of the roof thereabouts, then moves left across the face above the roof - away from the arête - to finish. From the top of the initial corner/groove Shangri La traversed right, across the arête, to finish up what later became Crow.

You'll notice that, having sorted the thing with the circumflex, I'm now making the most of it!
 Ian Parsons 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Thanks again, Gordon; was pretty much with you up to the first ampersand, at which point the wayside beckoned and I duly fell by it. I do, however, know what a bonnet is; am rarely seen out without one on these chilly evenings!
abseil 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> Currently, I think, nothing climbs the actual arête - which isn't quite as well-defined as that of The In Spire. The route that comes closest is Steve Monks' "The Scarecrow".....

Thanks so much again for your helpful reply! That's interesting, and really clear now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...