UKC

Ueli Steck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alasdair19 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Denni:

he was at it all summer. shame his climbing part er died.
 malk 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Denni:

speed in the mountains is a fools game..
 blackcat 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Denni: Steck has also taken back his eiger speed record from arnold.

mbh 16 Dec 2015
In reply to malk:

All climbing involves risk, and those competent enough to keep up with Steck are likely more able than most to assess the dangers of what they are doing.

Steck is amazing, his speed exilharating, and, as his game, no more that of a fool than is leading big E numbers for someone whose game that becomes with talent, time and dedication.

Cellinski 16 Dec 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

That is true only from a very broad perspective. Steck and the unfortunate climber that fell from the Rochefort ridge had not known each other before. They had met in the Torino hut and as it turned out, all planned for traversing the Rochefort ridge and the Grandes Jorasses on the same day. When the accident happened, they were not climbing together. Steck climbed Dent du Géant while the others (a team of two) moved on. When Steck had downclimbed from Dent du Géant and wanted to push on the Rochefort ridge, he found the surviving partner and only so learned about what had happened.
 thommi 17 Dec 2015
In reply to malk:

Its all a fools game man.
 rocksol 17 Dec 2015
In reply to malk:

Speed in the mountains keeps you safe!
 JuneBob 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Cellinski:

Quite difficult to find that version of events in the midst of all the media rubbish out there, even this site doesn't make it clear in the news.
I found this:
http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/outdoor/running-across-the-alps-with-u...
 drunken monkey 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Denni:

At what point does he think.....I best stop this before I die
 Simon4 17 Dec 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Seems pretty clear that Jon Griffith does NOT believe that Ueli Steck was in any way responsible for the accident.

Steck is right, accidents, sometimes fatal accidents, happen in Alpine climbing, proximity is not responsibility for someone not on your team.
 Cellinski 17 Dec 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

This link has a lot of interesting info on the raid over the 82 summits and also contains the passage which I referred to above:

http://sommets.info/82-4000-des-alpes-lextraordinaire-enchainement-de-ueli-...

Unfortunately all in French, hope you can make good use of it.
In reply to drunken monkey:

> At what point does he think.....I best stop this before I die

In hindsight he is now thinking, he made a wrong decision in 2013, when he decided to continue climbing Annapurna after he lost one of his gloves. At the time he thought: "Hey, why don't I just switch the glove to the exposed hand when it gets too cold". Now he admits it was a risk too high.
 malk 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Denni:
superlative performance, but i would assume he takes performance-enhancing drugs- would be interesting to find out his regime..
In reply to malk:
Why not presume he gets there through hard work and dedication? my impression of Ueli Steck is that he is a very humble and honest guy, he would only be cheating himself.

The Swiss machine does exactly what it says on the tin.
Post edited at 13:12
 jcw 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Cellinski:

The link of Cellinski is to an article by Manu Rivaud of a long interview he had with Ueli Steck 16 Sept 2015 concerning the 4,000ers and which confirms his earlier posting. In this he specifically raised the issue of Martjin Seueren’s fatal accident on 22 July, that is the day after doing the Diables Arête and Mont Maudit. For those who don’t read French here is my summary of the section concerned which may help.

“Martjin was the only one of those who accompanied me I didn’t know.” Seueren a Dutchman of 32 with a solid Alpine record was also after the 4,000ers amongst other things. “When he had contacted me about joining me for the Jorasses via the Rochefort Arétes I certainly didn’t try and stop him coming.” That morning [22 July] at the Torino hut Seuren and his partner along with Steck started off together, but when they reached the Dent du Géant [a 4,000er] Steck separated to climb it on his own, and from the summit saw the other pair on the Arêtes which lead to the Canzio hut, where they would attack the five summits of the Jorasses next day. After descending and starting in turn along the Arêtes, he saw Seuren’s partner coming back alone, and learnt that Seuren had fallen. Rescue subsequently found his body in a crevasse on a flattening of the glacier 200m below. Steck immediately returned to Switzerland. “The family, his parents, had to be told, not easy when you don’t know the person. At that stage nothing was clear about continuing. I needed time to think, before deciding whether or not to carry on with my plan.” Five days were spent at Ringgenberg before Steck dispelled doubts and decided to go on.

New section: Ironman. Ueli departed 28th July parapenting from the Torino hut to the Val Vény. What followed was less sombre and it is neither Jon Griffith nor Heinz Heer, the last companions of the Swiss machine who will gainsay him (It is perhaps relevant to note that in the final ten days Steck soloed the Jorasses amongst many other impressive things, notably the Brouillard Ridge}.

The article finishes with Steck’s future plan, the South Pillar of Nuptse East in Alpine style with the American Colin Haley.
 tony 18 Dec 2015
In reply to malk:

> superlative performance, but i would assume he takes performance-enhancing drugs- would be interesting to find out his regime..

Why assume that? It's not even as if he's been the quickest to complete the 82 summits - Franco Nicolini and Diego Giovannini did it in 60 days.
 Sophie G. 19 Dec 2015
When the poor Dutch guy died, Ueli was on a different mountain. So this could only have been Ueli's fault if Ueli has telekinetic powers. And he broke off his own project to go and talk to Martijn's family; that seems to be what a good person would do to me.

As for performance enhancing drugs, there's not a sniff of evidence for that accusation. And anyway, what's a performance enhancing drug? Is caffeine? Is glucose? If yes, then it's not even an accusation.

Envy's not very nice. Maybe we could just admire this fantastic athlete, without feeling the need to find a way to have a pop at him.

cb294 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Sophie G.:

> As for performance enhancing drugs, there's not a sniff of evidence for that accusation.

I witnessed him take a performance enhancing drug at the Courmayeur campground after his climb of the Peuterey integrale.

Same drug that I had, they really make an excellent espresso!

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...