UKC

Buying a home Climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LP 21 Dec 2015
So, 2015 was not a great year for climbing for me - shocking in fact, I got fat, weak and cowardly. But 2016 will might could be.

Having been forced to move in with the missus ( yes I said FORCED if you are reading this dear), I now live miles from a climbing wall and am forced (again) to eat a lot more fried chicken, cake and to drink more and more heavily just to get by.

So I was thinking of building a home wall in the loft or the garage or the garden however, this I think will take me a long while given my work hours, diy ineptitude and her.

So in short, does anywhere sell a ready made unit I can just assemble and get going on and scratch tallies onto as my years of captivity roll by? If I get any worse at climbing I'll just be driving to crags and lying down by them; in my dreams.

Cheers!

Yours,
Captive LP.
 Oceanrower 21 Dec 2015
In reply to LP:

Not that I'm aware of but there are several people that would be delighted to build one for you and possible not as expensive as you might think. Where abouts are you?
OP LP 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:
Sutton Coldfield- North Birmingham. This sounds exciting, I'd definitely have a go at building under the direction of someone who knew what to do... Or as you say, just let someone build it!
Post edited at 22:37
OP LP 21 Dec 2015
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Cheers Tom!

Now, just need to someone to distract the missus while we get this done...
 stp 21 Dec 2015
In reply to LP:

Get a Moonboard... some work to set up but much easier than starting from scratch.

http://www.moonclimbing.com/moonboard/page.php?page=B:1
 Skyfall 21 Dec 2015
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Any idea what you're looking at v roughly for a small room with a few panels rather like the top two pics on that page ? Fully installed? I know, I'll email them...
 najki_2000 21 Dec 2015
In reply to LP:

There are much worse places to live than Sutton Coldfield when it comes to access to a climbing wall. I could get to 4 different ones using public transport within 1.5h (at the very most) with nearest (Redpoint) being only about 35 mins away!
OP LP 21 Dec 2015
In reply to najki_2000:
I go when I can but work is pretty much all consuming at the minute and my commute between 1- 2hours each way currently so not really able to put in the time at a wall- need something in the house to keep me motivated.
OP LP 21 Dec 2015
In reply to stp:

Cheers stp- I had looked into this- just doubted my diy skills and the time I guess . Maybe I need to man up and buy a saw...
 Fraser 22 Dec 2015
In reply to LP:

If you've got the headroom in, say a garage, then the Moonboard is the way to go. It's backed up by a huge database of graded problems, and you can easily source the standard hold sets to go with them. I've had walls at home for years, and in the early days focused on routes. However the most bangs-per-buck for home training is a system board like Moon, plus Beastmaker and a pair of gymnastic rings and a copy of "Gimme Kraft". Sorted.
In reply to Skyfall:

I've no extra knowledge - I just came across their website when thinking about building something myself.
 natetan 22 Dec 2015
In reply to LP:

"Now, just need to someone to distract the missus while we get this done..."

You could probably find someone who would distract your missus and build the wall at the same time
 jkarran 22 Dec 2015
In reply to LP:

It's nothing more complicated than a few sheets of ply/osb, some 2x4 and screws, your local builder's merchant will deliver that. Tool wise you'll need a tape measure, drill and a saw. Exactly what you build depends on the space, existing structure available and your ambition but even the most inept DiYer could build a training board. It's an easy day job unless your space is horrible or you ambition ambitious!

If you really can't face it then sketch up and or download some ideas then get quotes from local joiners.
jk
OP LP 22 Dec 2015
In reply to natetan:

She seems a lot more interested in the project now...
OP LP 22 Dec 2015
In reply to jkarran:
I probably have got a mite ambitious - I had actually been thinking of a bar/ cafe corner if I built in the loft... Probably am best sticking to a moon type board in the garage.
 Paul Crusher R 22 Dec 2015
In reply to LP:

..any type of custom training, systems or campus boards done here..

http://crusherholds.co.uk/crusher-campus-board-rungs/crusher-campus-hangboa...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...