UKC

Thermos flask, alternative to coffee?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dutchman 22 Dec 2015
I'm just inquiring what other folks take in their flask in the way of hot drinks as I fancy having a change from coffee.

Hot Ribena has been suggested which sounds good, I was thinking of ginger and honey but not sure of the best way to make it.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Dave
 deepsoup 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Herbal tea bags? Lemon and ginger is nice and warming (if you like ginger, which I see you do). I use the pot from a coffee percolator, fill it with boiling water, chuck the bags in give it a bit of a stir and leave it for five minutes. Easier with a transparent pot to see if it's too strong or too weak.
 Babika 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Another vote for hot Ribena.

I'm a complete covert now.
 Dell 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Tea. Tea! TEA!
 Nordie_matt 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Veggie oxo cubes area good winter warmer, just get the reduced salt ones.
 cuppatea 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Dell:

I agree. Tea FTW

It was a bit of a silly question.
 FactorXXX 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Dell:

Tea. Tea! TEA!

Tea. Tea! TEA! TEA! TEA!

damowilk 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

For winter I make up a drink with hot milk, melt a Mars bar in it, throw in some spicy Mexican hot chocolate powder, a shot of espresso and a small amount brandy. It's like rocket fuel, I often don't need to eat much in addition.
 BusyLizzie 22 Dec 2015
In reply to damowilk:

Wow; I was going to mention hot milk with honey (mentioned on a similar thread a couple of years ago, and I've tried it and it's lovely), but your brew takes that concept to a whole new level.
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Tea. Tea! TEA!

> Tea. Tea! TEA! TEA! TEA!

I didn't think tea worked in a flask. Doesn't it go all stewy?
ceri 22 Dec 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:
You tale the t bag out! It's not the best tea but its OK. Problem is you need a new flask. Once it's had coffee in, your tea will taste rank.
 Sharp 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

This usually ends up in the flak when I'm ill but might make a nice nippy hill drink too. Boil up oranges, lemons and ginger in water and mash them up plus any other fruit you have around, pineapple is good. Then once it's all pulpy add honey and spices and whiskey and flask it up. If you have any fresh fruit juice a splash of that can be added too. It's called merry tea.
In reply to Sharp:

Hot Orange,
Bovril with a dash of salt
Hot Chocolate
In reply to dutchman:

Few things can beat a hot bovril on top of a hill on a frosty day.
 Pina 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Herbal tea, sugar and a dash of salt. Voila, you have an isotonic drink which tastes good (just don't overdo the salt...).
 AJM 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

I used to boil apple juice and put that in. Tasted good.
In reply to dutchman:

Bovril! Condition the flask first with hot water and keep that flask for Bovril - putting coffee in it afterwards tastes strange.
 aln 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Soup
mattlee 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Morning All, Hot Vimto all the way !!!
 Mark Bull 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Bottle Green Spiced Berry Cordial - yum!
 goldmember 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Hot whiskey ?
 Clarence 22 Dec 2015
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Another vote for Bovril. Add a single measure of gin, a couple of black peppercorns and a good shake of Henderson's Relish for a treat.
J1234 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

I have Redbush with Milk, a slightly rounder taste than Tea, i like it anyway.
 galpinos 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

1st Choice - Hot Ribena
2nd Choice - Some lemon/ginger/honey/herbal style tea

Any hot drink with milk tastes rank out of a flask. The only milky drink I can cope with is really sweet builders tea as the nostalgia masks the taste.
 Tom Valentine 22 Dec 2015
In reply to aln:

1 cup a soup sachet is about right for a small flask but the ones with croutons are best avoided
 Clarence 22 Dec 2015
In reply to galpinos:

> Any hot drink with milk tastes rank out of a flask. The only milky drink I can cope with is really sweet builders tea as the nostalgia masks the taste.

Yes, there is something about coffee that seems to mitigate the rancid/bitter taste of milk stewed in a flask. Lots of sugar helps as does a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg. I have a friend who swears by hot coca cola with a piece of cinnamon stick left in the flask but I have never tried it myself.
 Dell 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

You're all doing it wrong. I make tea in flask the same way I make a cuppa. Bag in, add water, wait a couple of minutes, fish bag out, add sugar and milk. It take a bit of practice to get the measurements right, but a find that making a tea in my normal mug then pouring it into the flask gives a good indicator of where the water levels should be, ditto milk. Once you've done it a few times you can make a right good cuppa, err, flasker, right there in the goddamn flask goddamn it!
 Joak 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Red Bush (Rooibos) tea is my hot beverage of choice in my hill flask. I brew it in my wee camping tin kettle, (which when filled holds exactly a flask full) leaving it to simmer on a low gas setting on the hob until filling ma flask. Unlike black tea it doesn't end up bitter when stewed, just nice, strong and refreshingly tasty (sweetened to taste). With no caffeine it's as hydrating as pure water. Over the years I've went through various stages....tomato soup, cuppa soups, Bovril etc. For me Red Bush is a clear winner
 adityahs 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Miso soup
 coolhand 22 Dec 2015
Hot apple juice with a pinch of cinnamon.

graeme jackson 22 Dec 2015
In reply to ceri:

> You tale the t bag out! It's not the best tea but its OK. Problem is you need a new flask. Once it's had coffee in, your tea will taste rank.

tea tastes rank anyway. He'd be as well boiling some sheeps piss and drinking that.

to the OP. Ribena.
 goldmember 22 Dec 2015
In reply to adityahs:

Thats a bangin' shout!
Removed User 22 Dec 2015
In reply to mattlee:

> Hot Vimto all the way !!!

+1 for Vimto - like Ribena, but for grownups.
 Toccata 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Heinz Tomato Soup with half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in it.
 paulh.0776 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Bear Grylls recommends drinking your own pee, which of course has the advantage of not having to rely on a heavy flask to keep it warm...............maybe with a slice of lemon and half a tea spoon of sugar?
 bouldery bits 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Hot Ribena??? No way!

Warm vimto. 100%
 Pedro 22 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:
Lemon and ginger tea (leave the bag in!) add honey when making. Fine.
P.
 Yorkieboy 23 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Bovril? Or some reyt thick gravy mmm
 Mouflon 23 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

The best liquid is something that will still be palatable whether hot, warm or when it cools down, especially if you're out later than planned.

I love hot tea but detest cold tea, so I take some sort of fruit squash - normally Sainsbury's Basics summer fruit squash.

The suggestions of Ribena, Vimto etc would fit the bill nicely.
 mike123 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Mouflon:
Exactly my thoughts . Tea from a flask is just wrong , only way is to carry a brew kit and a flask of boiling water. Only way to do coffee is two flasks, one of hot milk , one of hot back coffee , I used to do this when I lived in "the" county and two big flasks would keep several people caffeinated all day. Luke warm milky drinks are horrible. For a hill day a flask of hot squash (whatever is in the house but Vimto and Ribena are the best) stays palatable as it cools down so no need to carry owt else.
 plyometrics 23 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Twinings Chai, with plenty of brown sugar and milk.
 icnoble 23 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

WORST SQUASH
BLACKCURRANT RIBENA (500ml)
Ribena has as much sugar as 13 Oreo cookies
Ribena has as much sugar as 13 Oreo cookies
215 calories
0g fat
52.6g sugar
SUGAR EQUIVALENT
13 Oreo Chocolate biscuits
EXPERT VERDICT
Good old Ribena. Made in the UK with real blackcurrants. Healthy? No. Drinking this 500ml bottle of Ribena gives you 60 per cent of your daily amount of sugar in one hit.
As sugary as a can of Coke, and with almost 100 more calories to boot, you'd do yourself a favour by choosing a less sugary option.
 marsbar 23 Dec 2015
In reply to icnoble:

I'd agree if you were giving it to sofa bound children, but a bit of sugar when exercising is not the end of the world.
 Simon Caldwell 23 Dec 2015
In reply to icnoble:

That's exactly the reason that it's good to take on the hill.
 Clarence 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

And certainly better than 13 Oreos, they look like lovely bourbon creams but taste like sweet grease and baked cowpat.
 Brass Nipples 23 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

No one have hot chocolate in their flask and a pack of marsh mallows in rucksacks?
 GreatApe 23 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Hot chocolate with a dash of cointreau.
 Flinticus 23 Dec 2015
In reply to paulh.0776:

So does Jez!

Got to be worth a try. And you don't need a flask, just a cup.
 nniff 23 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

You need a flask of a certain size - small ones don't keep stuff hot for long enough. Into that flask you put very sweet tea.

Then you need a second flask, into which you put whisky.

You then combine the two to taste.

Under certain circumstances, you gather ice cubes from the route above and have Scotch on the rocks. If circumstances are perfect, one can sit in something resembling a giant ice bucket and sip your drink. South Gully in Cwm Idwal has just such an ice bucket, once shared as described with Alan Rouse (RIP).
 digby 23 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Hot blackcurrent + glühwein + a dash of brandy. Very nice!
 Wsdconst 23 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Just take hot water and a selection of tea/coffee or whatever you fancy,or even better fill it with vodka
In reply to dutchman:

There's a company - rocks I think, that make posh cordial stuff that's great hot. There's a fiery ginger & lemon one which is considerably nicer than the same flavour out of a teabag.

In reply to Babika:

Have you seen their 'winter warmer' seasonal special version?
 Sean Kelly 23 Dec 2015
In reply to GreatApe:

> Hot chocolate with a dash of cointreau.

No for heavens sake not Cointreau, but do finish off with spray cream on top of the mug of hot chocolate. Deeeeeeeeeeelish!
In reply to dutchman:

Russian caravan tea. Tastes lovely black so don't have the issue of the milk 'cooking' in the flask. Sometimes a smidgen of sugar but not often.

The other vote is for hot vimto
PamPam 24 Dec 2015
In reply to dutchman:

Ginger and honey would be nice. There are plenty of herbal teas that are ginger and honey or just ginger and you could add the honey yourself to taste. You could even throw in some fresh root ginger if you wanted to, if you put it through a garlic press or on a fine grater to get the best out of it. I don't recommend Twinnings, I like this brand for herbal teas, this one in particular if I want something spicy with ginger in it; http://www.pukkaherbs.com/pukka-products/pukka-teas/revitalise-new/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...