UKC

Metatarsalgia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 23 Dec 2015
Has anyone had this?
After consulting with Dr Google, I think I may do as I've got serious pain walking at the moment when my 2nd and 3rd toe connect to my foot.

All runnning's out of the question at the moment and is probably what's caused the issue. Apart from rest (which is killing me), any idea what I can do?

I've got another pass out this year for a Christmas day run (woohoo!) so would love to try and get it sorted for then. Positive, I know
 Hillseeker 23 Dec 2015
In reply to goose299:

Think I had this with some new approach shoes. Seems like they are a little too tight and/or stiff and the metatarsalagia develops after 20mins walking. Doesn't happen with other shoes so I assume the stiffness is to blame. Hoping to cure it by wearing them in!

tony 23 Dec 2015
In reply to goose299:

I think I've had it - only a podiatrist seemed willing to give it a name, and physios I talked to about it hadn't heard of metatarsalgia. In my case, it took quite a while - a few weeks - to sort itself out. It came on about 3 miles into a half-marathon, and was very painful to walk on for some time afterwards.
To prevent a recurrence, I've been using orthotic insoles and have made a point of making sure my shoes are a roomy fit across the forefoot. This does cause a few problems with finding suitable shoes, since I have quite wide feet. However, it's been working, since I haven't had a problem since.
If it's really sore at the moment, I doubt it'll be in decent shape for a run on Christmas Day - sorry.
OP goose299 23 Dec 2015
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to goose299)
>
> If it's really sore at the moment, I doubt it'll be in decent shape for a run on Christmas Day - sorry.

To be honest, I don't think it will either but I live in hope. When i can walk/run, I'm going to get some gait analysis done and get some better running shoes and hope that'll help.

markk 23 Dec 2015
In reply to goose299: About 20 yrs ago I was diagnosed with metatarsalgia by a podiatrist (after a referral by my GP) and prescribed orthotics with a metatarsal raise. I still use orthotics in both normal shoes and running shoes and haven't had a problem since. I'd strongly recommend getting a professional opinion, but if you google ' vasyli metatarsal raise ' its easy enough to buy them online.
OP goose299 24 Dec 2015
In reply to markk:

30 quid for 5 pairs. Well if they work, then I think I'll be investing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...