UKC

Taking climbing photos when there's two of you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chloe 06 Jan 2016

Hello

Has anyone got any suggestions for taking photos of climbing when there is on two of you, maybe apps or tripods? I have a go pro but it's not the newest version and I don't know if it has a setting where it can take several photos automatically.

Thank you!
Post edited at 12:37
 ianstevens 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Chloe:

Hold the rope in one hand and the camera in the other?

But more seriously, it's very difficult. Some cameras can be set up with a remote shutter, but these require line-of-sight as far as I'm aware. Alternatively just set up a camera on a tripod with an intervalometer and delete the 1500 shots that are crap.

Or find a third person to go out climbing with
 planetmarshall 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Chloe:

I find wireless gizmos too much of a faff and are generally unreliable in less than ideal conditions. Use a locking belay and a camera that is as easy to use as possible.
 HeMa 06 Jan 2016
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Chloe:

Use a ground belay and tie them off - then go and get your shots. I have been doing it for 40 years - though only with folks who are happy with the arrangement!

Chris
 Trangia 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Chloe:

It is difficult to do safely on multi pitch. As others have said you really should tie off the rope or if your partner is really comfortable where they are take your hands off the rope for a quickie - can be risky and really only suitable if they are on good holds. Such shots tend to look posed, which is what they are. I'm usually so nervous about the safety issue that my biggest fear is dropping the camera in my haste to get the climber back on belay!

As has been said the best is to take along a third person to act as photographer or belayer if you want to be the photographer.
 rgold 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Chloe:
It isn't easy and the results depend to some extent on the route---straight up and down pitches offer little more than butt-shots of the leader, for instance. Traversing or diagonaling routes are much more likely to yield decent photos. Here are some things that have worked for me.

Both climbers should have small point-and-shoots, carried in a way that makes them instantly accessible and releasable. A second chalk bag for the camera is one carrying possibility that has worked well for one of my partners. I have a very small fitted LowePro case that I carry around my waist like a chalkbag. You want to be able to spin the camera out of the way when you are climbing but be able to get at it at a moment's notice.

As for releasability, a retractable tether is one possibility: see for example http://gearkeeperblog.com/2010/08/26/retractable-camera-tether-keeps-camera... . This company makes a case with built-in retractor cord: http://www.t-reignoutdoor.com/collections/procase . There are retractable tethers for laser rangerfinders that would work well with cameras; eg http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-8172-Retractable-Rangefinder-Tether/dp/B000JJGY... . There are also coiled-cord models like http://www.cetaceacorp.com/2-ft-camera-tether-en-2-3.html#.UfiFP6yZa2k%29 , and the Wild Country Pro Key nut tool has a coiled-cord leash that would work. I'm sure googling will turn up a host of other possibilities.

All that said, I've found it pretty simple to just clip the camera to an over-the shoulder sling when getting ready to belay. The clipping tether should be quite short.

As for photographing while belaying, I don't think it is all that dangerous. Obviously, you don't want to be doing it while the leader is sketching in mid-crux, but there are usually multiple times during the climbing of a pitch when a camera could be quickly deployed for a shot. Most---maybe all---point and shoots need to be used right-handed, which is also going to be most people's belay hand. But it isn't hard to momentarily lock off with the left hand and use the right to fire off a shot if your set-up makes it easy to grab and release the camera.

If you are a bare-handed belayer, nothing more need be said, but if you wear gloves (and I think it wise to do so), then you will have a problem with the shutter release. Either fingerless gloves or a hole cut in the index finger of regular belay gloves will be required. There are excellent gloves made for handling rigging on sailboats that expose the tips of the thumb and index finger and cover the remaining fingers.

What matters most is the commitment of both climbers to actually use their cameras, but it helps enormously to have a really good set-up.

You can lug an SLR, and if you want very high quality you have to do that, but that does constitute a substantial encumbrance, and there is a tendency for the big camera to live rather inaccessibly in a pack.

Here's an example of the results of such methods: http://www.supertopo.com/tr/A-Week-in-Red-Rock-151-A-Photo-Essay/t371n.html . I did have a DSLR along and used it for the scenic shots, but all the climbing pics (and pics on the climbing approaches) were taken with point-and-shoots.
Post edited at 20:34
 Morgan Woods 07 Jan 2016
 Fraser 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Great shot!

I've used the interval shot facility on my DSLR a few times. It means taking about 150 shots but usually you get a few decent ones. Not sure if the OP's GoPro has such a facility however.
 HeMa 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> Great shot!

> I've used the interval shot facility on my DSLR a few times. It means taking about 150 shots but usually you get a few decent ones. Not sure if the OP's GoPro has such a facility however.

It does, and it's builtin. I beleive it can be set to take pics every 0.5, 1, 5, 10, 30 secs or so. Can't be arsed to check all the intervals.
 Morgan Woods 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:

ta! In this case the belayer holds the remote and clicks it every now and then. The separate unit in the hot shoe of the camera then takes the photo.
 rallymania 07 Jan 2016

on my old camera (600d) i had a cheap and cheerful set of wireless off camera flash "dongles". you normally use them to make the camera wirelessly fire a remote flash. but the receiver could be plugged into the cameras remote port with a wee cable and you could use the transmitter in the same way as your thing to take the shot.

added bonus that they were "two in one"
 Fraser 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Morgan Woods & rallymania:

That's definitely a more efficient way of doing it... if you remember to take the remote trigger kit with you!

planetmarshall 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Chloe:

Another possibility is using an Android powered or similar Smart Watch to trigger a remote camera via Wi-fi. I'm not aware of any cameras that provide this functionality out of the box (My Olympus OM-D is controllable via Smart Phone but that's too much of a faff to use while climbing or belaying) - but in principle a reasonably competent programmer should be able to knock something up.
 planetmarshall 07 Jan 2016

> using one of these:

That's rather clever, and better than my roll-my-own Android Smart Watch idea ( which would involve reverse engineering the software for my Olympus EM-10).
Removed User 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Chloe:

I tend to do the ol "You on good holds?! Stay there for a sec!" thing and then try to remember to put them back on belay after I've taken the pic and checked my messages and fb chats.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...