UKC

snowdonia conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robblowen 08 Jan 2016
Morning all, heading over to North Wales this weekend. I've had a look at forecasts and webcam and it looks very wet, quite mild (for the time of year) but I can see a dusting of white on the tops. Is it consolidated, and is it worth dropping walking crampons in the bag for the tops? Or is it just slush?

Cheers, Rob.
In reply to robblowen:

Snow on the tops but slushy on main paths which with temps set to drop is likely to leave them icy and treacherous. Definitely take crampons, just don't expect to use them much.
OP robblowen 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Hi Ron, have you been up there recently?

Cheers, Rob.
Removed User 08 Jan 2016
Mostly on topic: Is there a North Wales conditions website/fb group like there is for areas of Scotland or is it all word of mouth?
 ianstevens 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed User:
Normally there is a thread (I'd imagine this will be it).

Ground conditions are also posted on the Met Office Mountain forecast.

If I was going out this weekend (I've got work unfortunately) I'd take crampons but probably not expect to use them much - the paths are probably covered in a layer of slippy, refrozen mush. I wouldn't have any hopes on climbing conditions!
Post edited at 11:57
 Babika 08 Jan 2016

I think there's an Ogwen webcam isn't there?
OP robblowen 08 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Cheers guys, I'd checked the webcams and couldn't see much and temps didn't look like they were going to drop much until next week so just wondered if anyone had been up there this week? Yeah going to stick them in for justin!
 geoff b 08 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

It's freezing at night at the moment & warm during the day, suggesting classic freeze/thaw conditions. Having been on the Horseshoe last weekend-ish (01/01/16) & needed crampons, axe & goggles over Crib y Ddysgl (too windy to get over Crib Goch for me). Better to take them & not need them than leave them behind & wish you had them!
In reply to robblowen:

Been up today. All very slushy stuff as far as Bwlch Tryfan, from where it's loose powder with a very light crust. Some drifting - noticeably deeper snow on eastern slopes away from the SW winds.

Having said that, it started rain/Hail when I got down an hour ago, and heavy rain forecast overnight? How much remains tomorrow/ next week will depend on temperatures - watch the BMC idwal page.

Overall still nowhere near climbing conditions (??yet), but but definitely winter walking on the tops now and a very pleasant change from the last 6 weeks.
 davegs 08 Jan 2016

There's also @welshwinter worth a look for updates.
 alex pickard 09 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Climbed crib lem in the Carnedd today. Good snow cover up the ridge giving good fun at around grade I/II. Black ladders getting whiter, but mostly snow, not much ice or rime forming, turf beginning to freeze on summit plateau
 tonanf 09 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Hi. I am thinking of walking up snowdon tomorrow or Monday. Would walking poles and slip over hoe spikes be enough to make it?
 JamButty 10 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Took the northern route from Idwal to Y Garn. At Cwm Clyd snow was ~1ft deep and soft, but it was about 4deg C
It was very windy so we didn't take the final ridge and came back down.
Had kit but didn't use it, but I wouldn't go up without axes or crampons especially as the temps are dropping.
Nice to have the white stuff under my feet, but wasn't expecting anything more...

dgp 10 Jan 2016
In reply to tonanf:
> Hi. I am thinking of walking up snowdon tomorrow or Monday. Would walking poles and slip over hoe spikes be enough to make it?

Safely ? No!

In reply to dgp:

The official warden advice (on the noticeboards at the carparks) is that Ice Axe and Crampons are essential.

There were plenty of people getting up Pig track today without, but not all having a good time of it and I had crampons on once above Glaslyn.

The snow's still pretty slushy at the moment, but there are places particularly on the zig zags where it's compacting into ice and a hard freeze tonight could make things much worse. (Temp at 800m in Idwal has been around -1 all through today).
In reply to robblowen:

Great w/e despite windy conds. Did my first two winter routes of this year. Chose ridges and avoided gullies because snow was soft, saturated and unconsolidated. No ice seen all w/e.

Crib Lem on Sat - agree with Alex Pickards summary above. Much more snow than expected, drifts in hollows on Llewellyn were knee to thigh deep in places. Snow line approx 600m in am, snow falling and line dropping to 500m late in pm as we were walking out. Axe and crampons taken but not used as snow v wet and soft. Very slippery ground where soft snow was lying over wet unfrozen grass. Don't you just hate it when you think you're being careful and you miss that sloping rock hidden under the snow or that muddy patch lying await on the path - several heel slides and came a cropper more than once over w/e but no injuries.

Sun went up Daear Ddu ridge of Moel Siabod. Lovely grade I, snow all the way up from Llyn y Foel. Got brief views northwards from the top and lots of snow on all main mountains, Snowdon, Glyders, Carneddau - could be some good sport by the end of the week if temps drop below zero at night.
 JimmAwelon 14 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen: Just seen this on the BBC:

Search and rescue launched for Snowdonia climbers. Mountain rescuers are trying to reach two climbers stranded overnight on a Snowdonia peak. The pair are stuck in a gully at about 3,260 ft on Glyder Fach. They rang for help on their mobile on Wednesday at about 17:30 GMT but "extreme" blizzards, gales, and fears of an avalanche hampered the rescue effort by Ogwen Valley mountain rescue. Fifteen volunteers are attempting to find them but a weak phone signal means they cannot pinpoint an exact location.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35311929

Hopefully there are off by now
 Matt Rees 16 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Anyone in N. wales able to comment on the conditions in this mini freeze? I could see snow on the tops nirth of Newport and Cardiff on Friday, it must be coming into condition further north.
In reply to Matt Rees:

Lots of snow, but still lots of deep powder, so gullies remain dangerous, and even ridges are waist deep in places.
 geoff b 16 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Was on Crib Lem (Carnedd Dafydd) today and altho' the weather wasn't as pleasant as forecast it was a QMD/great day out. The route/ridge had a lot of snow on it, mostly powder but dribbles of ice & spots of frozen turf where exposed. There were a few parties on it but it certainly wasn't crowded. The main Carneddau ridge was busy with folk heading hither & thither; skis & snow shoes in evidence. There was a lot of snow on the main ridge & where you weren't following a track it was hard work breaking trail. A party rapped off the Black Ladders in the afternoon but I'm not sure what they were on. Altho' it all looks very white there's no ice & not enough frozen turf as it's all insulated under a thick layer of snow at the mo'. Hope that helps folks.
 JasonV 16 Jan 2016
In reply to geoff b:

We did the east ridge on Y Garn. Lots of powder snow and quite deep in places but just TOO warm. Maybe with a bit of freeze thaw things might improve but conditions not great as of yet.
 Migsy 17 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:
Hi Rob,
Mainly unconsolidated snow up on Y Gribin yesterday (16 Jan). Dug a couple of snow pits which revealed 15cm slab shearing easily off a layer of graupel. The gullies look to be loaded and worth steering clear of for now I'd say. Was 2 degrees C in Ogwen at 10am. Good tracks are being put in on the busy routes .... I don't think I've seen so many people on Y Gribin.
 JamButty 17 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:
Did Devils Kitchen, y Garn and down NE ridge on Sat. Only put crampons on for the first bit of the drop off the summit. Deep unconsolidated snow in many places, and quitef a cornice is starting to form between banana gully and y garn summit. Footprints seemed a bit close to the edge at times for my liking.
Pretty warm, so hopefully a few colder nights and we'll get some freezing going on.

It snowed a bit whilst we were up there, but it was raining at the Cottage....
Post edited at 16:10
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 17 Jan 2016
In reply to JamButty:

Pretty much thawing today (sunday), it was really warm but there is still plenty of snow up high. So if it re-freezes before it all goes the gullies will be in pretty good shape. But there was evidence of thaw related avalanches from the loaded slopes below cornices.
 Migsy 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Mark Reeves:
Anyone been out today? Any consolidation in the gullies or is it still a powder fest?
 geoff b 19 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Was out skiing on Carnedd Dafydd today; blue skies, no wind.....what a pleasant change from the last couple of months! The snow was bountiful & wonderful for this but not for climbing. Met some lads who'd been in Narrow Gully & said it was full of unconsolidated snow, except for the last 100m or so. Another party on a mixed route above Cwm Lloer said it wasn't in condition. The turf's well insulated & still not frozen even high up. Everything looks very wintery but it needs time to consolidate or thaw/freeze to be climbable. There are photos on Owen Samuel & Calum Muskett's websites I believe.
 static266 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Migsy:

Climbed Broad Gully in Cwm Lloer, consolidated snow from halfway up after yesterdays thaw and last nights freeze. Another freeze tonight so snow should improve a little more before it all melts on Friday!
 Stu_1985 20 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Climbed Central Trinity Gully today. Well consolidated. There were a few groups out doing different routes.
 Neil Anderson 20 Jan 2016
In reply to StuartO:

Parsley Fern - and horseshoe - fantastic weather - snow ok'ish but variable especially on top of Watkins path, slushy.

In Cwm, Snow nearly neve, but breakable crust in places - turf insulated underneath and not well frozen.
 richprideaux 20 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Y Gribin and Glyder Fawr with the camera today. Decent snow above 700m, some consolidation but caution still required on lee slopes.

Great weather though - views to Pembrokeshire and Northern Ireland at times.
In reply to robblowen:

Today was definitely the best of the winter (so far???).
Went up C gully on Y Garn and down Banana, with well consolidated snow from Cwm Clyd upwards and fabulous sunshine and views.
 Migsy 21 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:
Excellent snow conditions on crib goch yesterday with a good narrow track in the whole of its length. Dropped down at the top of the zig zags and traversed across and up into the spider and up Central Trinity. Stepped all the way on decent neve. Chock stone was easy enough as it was relatively banked out. No trace of anyone having been up LH or RH though. Continued round the horseshoe onto cruddy snow on the descent from Wyddfa to Bwlch y Saethau and over Lliwedd .... A quality day out.
In reply to Migsy:
Not so good today - morning was pleasant enough so went up NE spur of Y Garn. Much warmer and snow at all heights much softer than yesterday. Started raining at lunchtime (and 50+ mph winds) so not pleasant and snow disappearing now
Post edited at 21:52
> Not so good today - morning was pleasant enough so went up NE spur of Y Garn. Much warmer and snow at all heights much softer than yesterday. Started raining at lunchtime (and 50+ mph winds) so not pleasant and snow disappearing now

oh man! I am heading up tonight after work. Not good news. But it is warm and wet (that's what she said) so what else can I expect.
Not much snow left. Cwm Cneifion Image in link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/to1otyc1n8w54kg/2016-01-22%2013.21.54.jpg?dl=0
 Trevers 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Confused Vorlon:

> Not much snow left. Cwm Cneifion Image in link.

Is that not Cwm Bochlwyd?
 Sean Kelly 23 Jan 2016
In reply to Confused Vorlon:

Well, Idwal Stream is still all there, but looking extremely wet!
 Spec 24 Jan 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Banana gully on Y Garn in reasonable condition on Saturaday but melting fast. Another party followed us with a group heading up C gully. Cornices could fall in the next day our so.
Gone for good 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Spec:

I take it most of the snow has gone? I had a look at the OVMR webcam and Tryfan looked completely bare!
I expect Snowdon is looking similiar?
 jonathandavey 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

Was on the Carnedds on Sunday, a reasonable amount left on north facing slopes and gullies in Cwm Lloer, but all very soft. With recent warm and wet forecasts I wouldn't expect much to stick around.
In reply to jonathandavey:

Bit cloudy round some summits but I couldn't see any snow as I drove towards the mountains from South Stack this evening.
Gone for good 02 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Anything wintry looking in Snowdonia at the moment?
lostcat 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

Up until this morning, no. It's rained pretty much every day for a week and has been fairly warm. There's still the odd patch around but very little really. Felt a bit colder today however and there was a hailstone shower in Capel Curig this afternoon.
In reply to lostcat:

Siabod had a minor dusting on my way home to Capel from the Moelwynion this afternoon. Nothing to write home about and from my experience today it was probably a covering of hail!
lostcat 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

True! Nothing to get excited about yet.
 ianstevens 02 Feb 2016
In reply to lostcat:

Exactly. Do people not look at the weather forecast an think about what this means? Or just ask on here?
 septic 04 Feb 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

The forecast is often very different from what actually happens, hence the questions on here.
 maybe_si 08 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

How's it looking up there at the moment? Warm and wet? Any snow about? Am thinking of mooching up Snowdon or Tryfan on Wednesday as the weather looks best this week. Got a dodgy knee I'm slowly healing so no climbing/scrambling, just standard rambling routes, will it be crampons and axe weather? Or just boots and walking poles?
lostcat 08 Feb 2016
In reply to maybe_si:

Very, very bloody wet and windy today! And it's been like this for a couple of weeks now. Apart from the odd patch of snow everything has been washed away. Unless there is a dramatic change in the weather I would say it would be unlikely crampons and axes would be needed. On the plus side Wednesday is meant to be much better weather, and shock horror not pissing it down.
 maybe_si 08 Feb 2016
In reply to lostcat:

Cool thanks, will lob them in the car just in case but I'd imagine I'll just take a pole, hopefully Wednesday will be a decent day as forecast....
lostcat 08 Feb 2016
In reply to maybe_si:

Hopefully! I now sympathise with people living in far northern countrys, except we haven't had months of darkness just months of unrelenting rain!
 Trevers 08 Feb 2016
In reply to lostcat:

Might be worth checking the webcams tomorrow. MWIS and Met Office are both forecasting cold temperatures and plenty of snow for the rest of the week. Turf temperatures have been steadily dropping for the last few days. I'm crossing my fingers for a wintry weekend!

Of course your word is better than my guess from my office in Bristol :P
 richprideaux 08 Feb 2016
In reply to lostcat:

It is getting more than a little tedious now, particularly if you have to work outside away from tarmac and paved surfaces...

Trevers 09 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Webcams have all gone dark Can anyone report on how things look?
Removed User 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Trevers:

I'm going up on thu so can let a fellow bristolian know thu night.
 Trevers 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed Userdmbishop:

Thank you Sir
In reply to Trevers:

was very wet sunday when we left about 3pm. Went up Snowdon via pyg signs did say crampons/axe advised didnt see any snow up to the lake
 sam benson 09 Feb 2016
Been out today in Ogwen and found the following.

Y Garn -just about freezing on the summit, very little snow and nothing frozen below 700m I went up via East ridge, snow patches in banana gully, very little elsewhere

Glyders- Good solid frozen ground on top, some hard old snow in patches- looked into the top of Hidden Gully , filling in slowly, main cliff looking very black, continued onto Gribin facet ridge, frozen turf and snow / ice down to the top of the flat area at the top of Cneifion arête. Traveresed around below Glyder fach cliff, nothing happening there.

Back down for 2pm, sleet had turned to snow and +1 c in the car park..

Will be out on Thursday / Friday and will update. Could be good if it stays cold into the weekend.

Trevers 11 Feb 2016
In reply to sam benson:

Any updates? Is it too much to hope that Snowdon gullies may be coming into condition for the weekend? The webcams and thermometers suggest snow and low temperatures for the last few days
 alec roberts 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Trevers:

Hi Matt

I'm out today ( Friday ) I can let you know how things are if you give me a call around 16.30 / 17.00 hrs

Alec
 Trevers 12 Feb 2016
In reply to alec roberts:

> Hi Matt

> I'm out today ( Friday ) I can let you know how things are if you give me a call around 16.30 / 17.00 hrs

> Alec

Cheers Alec I'll be in the car with Adam and Rach but I'll give you a shout!

Hi Alec,

What were the conditions like today?

Cheers,

Jay.
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

Wonderful winter walking conditions up high, but pretty awful for climbing - crunchy grippy powder and fantastic rime formations but nothing consolidated under foot, apart from slippy slush/ice on the main paths.

Thanks Ron, much appreciated! Was thinking about bristly ridge but I think a walk up the glyders sounds like a better option!

Jay.
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

Glyders are fantastic, but I met a couple yesterday that tried walking up Bristly but had to be belayed off by some passing climbers!
 ockle 13 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Coming up tomorrow. Any tips on where to go? Trinity face or tryfan and bristly?
 maxsmith 13 Feb 2016
In reply to ockle:

We did the Snowdon horseshoe on friday, crampons and axe were essential on Crib Gogh East ridge and along the pinnacles...snow was not fully consolidated but almost there.
 ockle 13 Feb 2016
In reply to maxsmith:

Thanks. That is one option. Any more infor would be great
 bendep 13 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

I'm thinking of driving over to Pen y Fan on Sunday evening, kipping overnight in the campervan and then heading out in the morn. Anyone know if it's crampon-y and axe-y or just precautious foot placement and poles? Never been up Pen y Fan and Monday looks like a nice day and I'm free. Cheers
In reply to bendep:

Not sure you're posting in the right thread !
 bendep 13 Feb 2016

I know this was for Snowdonia but I didn't want to make a new thread in case someone on here knew! (Y)
 maxsmith 13 Feb 2016
In reply to bendep:

I might be up pen y fan late Sunday I'll let you know if I do go out..
 Matt Froud 13 Feb 2016
In reply to ockle:

Out on Snowdon range today did Crib Y Ddysgl via parsley fern + Snowdon,

Variable quality snow, consolidated and ice in places and powder in others,

Also seen teams out on Central Trinity
 ockle 13 Feb 2016
In reply to Matt Froud:

Thanks
david000 14 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Any tips on the snow conditions for skiing in Snowdonia at the moment. I'm toying with heading out tomorrow, Monday for some ski touring but don't know the area all that well.

Removed User 14 Feb 2016
In reply to ockle:

Did pyg track Friday
Snow seemed soft to me all the way to the top.
Nice low winds though.
To many people with out crampons and axes for my liking.
Hope this helps someone.
 jim jones 14 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Did Broad Gully on Pen Yr Ole Wen yesterday (13/02/2016), much better than I was expecting. Only went for a look just, snow conditions were ok low down, I had to scramble around the steps as they're just bare rock. All of them can be climbed around. Top 200ft or so were on excellent snow/ice. Windy walk around the Carneddau afterwards though!
 ockle 14 Feb 2016
In reply to jim jones:

Did the Snowdon horseshoe. Fantastic conditions. Saw a group back of central trinity. Cant believe the number of people with no winter gear. Apparently tshirt and trainers is the right gear?
 Fiskavaig 15 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Had a wander up Y Garn yesterday, not much depth of snow, and soft and powder, did'nt bother walking up to gullies, saw a few people on the easy left hand gully, and a pair on Banana, spoke to them on the top, reckoned it was ok ish,
 LJJ77 15 Feb 2016
In reply to jim jones:
I think i bumped into you on Dafydd i had just come Crib Lem then if it was you i saw you again after the slog up Llewellyn the conditions on Crib Lem were pretty crap lots of powder snow and unhelpful ice formations
Post edited at 18:11
 Trevers 15 Feb 2016

We ended up doing Cneifion Arete on Saturday. Had a great day out, thanks for the recommendation!
 MarkDerby 16 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:
Did Parsley Fern right hand and Central Trinity yesterday for the first time. Stunning day! Conditions probably not brilliant but good enough although the crux on Central Trinity was lean and was glad to be on a rope. Some nice ice in Parsley Fern. Not a breath of wind at the top either. Saw some very happy smiling faces out!
In reply to robblowen:

Mon: Did Y Gribin ridge and SE ridge of Snowdon, fun easy scrambling, soft unconsolidated snow, beautiful views all around. Dropped down and did Central Trinity, 10-20cm loose snow on top, firmer underneath. MarkDerby, I passed you and your mate at about 2pm. Good to hear it was calm when you topped out, it had been a pretty fresh N wind earlier, sunset must have been good.

Tue: Did Banana Gully, Y Garn. Conds ok but needs more snow because quite a few stones poking through, and could do with a freeze thaw to firm it up. Lots of spindrift today filling up the bucket steps. Cornice easy to pass thru centre/on left. VV windy on top and gusts nearly knocking me off my feet despite crampons. Good smears of ice on most of the Devils Kitchen classics but will be lucky if these survive the deluges on Wed and at w/e. Shame as Idwal Stream looked fairly well formed. Cwm Cneifion holding a lot of snow and heard Hidden Gully good at w/e but don't know about rest of the routes up there or on Clogwyn Ddu .
Removed User 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Cuillin Calling:

Thursday 18th Feb
Done hidden gully and down y gribbin. Good snow from top level of nameless cwm upwards.
Compleatly enjoyed it. And even finished with some sun.
Thanks vary much to rod for showing me the way.
DaniJT 19 Feb 2016
We set out at 7am this morning with the intention of getting as far as we could before turning back, as we've not done Snowdon before and we mostly walk in the summer.

We got to the start of Allt Moses where the snow was coming down and the wind was gusting quite strongly.

We were a bit gutted but will try again in better weather!
 alec roberts 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Trevers:

You're welcome
 Cornish boy 19 Feb 2016

We did Hidden Gully and Tower Gully on Thursday. Good snow and ice in the upper section of each route. Tower Slabs not quite in condition yet. Cracking weather and a great day out! Bloody grim [and mild] driving through Ogwen at 4pm today though.
Removed User 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Cornish boy:

Hi. Can I ask a quick question please.
Do you think hidden gully was an easy grade 2 or medium or a hard grade two on Thursday.
Just trying to judge what a grade two is on hidden gully in those conditions,as it was just my second one.
There were two sort of shelfs to get over on Friday. And no cornice.
Sorry if it's a daft question but yours or any opinion is valued.
 Martin Wing 20 Feb 2016

I was up in Cwm Cneifon on Friday morning but went up Seniors Ridge. It was raining and everything was thawing when I was there so can't imagine you found it in the the easiest of conditions.
 jim jones 20 Feb 2016

> Do you think hidden gully was an easy grade 2 or medium or a hard grade two on Thursday.

> Just trying to judge what a grade two is on hidden gully in those conditions,as it was just my second one.

Not a daft question at all, that particular gully can be quite tricky if the steps aren't buried under snow. And easy if there's been a big dump and a good period of freeze/thaw. That's usually why you see the grade of many (especially Welsh!) winter routes described as II/III, III/IV etc.

Removed User 20 Feb 2016
In reply to jim jones:

Thank you,that's appreciated.
Removed User 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Martin Wing:

Thanks.
Removed User 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Martin Wing:

My bad,I was there Thursday 😊
 Martin Wing 20 Feb 2016
Ah ok, definitely got the better day. Friday was miserable.
 rodw 21 Feb 2016
Hi I was on Hidden Gully on Thursday morning and really enjoyed it especially top half, I have done it about five times in the last few years and this time was definately the highest grade top end 2 the ice bulges were really interesting
Removed User 21 Feb 2016
In reply to rodw:

Thanks.
 Cornish boy 21 Feb 2016

Hi.

I haven't done loads of winter climbing and Thursday was only the second time that I've climbed Hidden Gully. I would say that it was in mid-range grade II condition but agree that the icy steps/bulges were not straightforward and needed care. The exit slope was steep but the snow was good and there was no cornice to negotiate on Thursday either. However, a fall from here would have had serious consequences.
I've chosen to rope up on other grade II routes, but didn't feel the need to on this route. Interestingly, nor did my mate Adam, and it was his first route of this grade.

Hope that helps, but bear in mind that it's all subjective!

Regards,

Paul
Removed User 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Cornish boy:

Yes it def helps and is appreciated.
 Al Cartwright 22 Feb 2016

Hi all, just an update to conditions on Clogwyn Du, my partner and i tried to climb Hidden gully on Saturday, unfortunately the clag was down and it remained hidden! We climbed the easy descent gully/slope instead.
Having seen the photos on here it looks obvious now, I think I mistook it to be Cleft gully and carried on up!

Anyway...the conditions were pretty bad, the snow was very soft and wet and all the remaining ice was slushy and falling off the crag. It was mild and raining so I doubt there's anything much left climbable up there now.
 jezb1 22 Feb 2016
In reply to Al Cartwright:

Snows been stripped back loads from the warm and wet conditions.

Lots of dry rock though
In reply to jezb1:

Almost no snow left now after another gorgeous warm sunny spring day!
 sdawson1 25 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Well there has been a couple of cold days, what about North Facing crags has anyone seen any ice smears?
 afshapes 25 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Does anyone know if there's any snow on the Trinity face ?
 ianstevens 25 Feb 2016
In reply to afshapes:
Doubt it, it's about 6/7 degrees low down and it's been mostly dry all week. Given that the lapse rate is about 5*C/km, it's above freezing at the summits, so any snow that is present won't be very good.

Go rock climbing instead.
Post edited at 11:31
 philhilo 25 Feb 2016
In reply to afshapes:

We were in the area Monday and there are only small strips of snow visible from the road, presumably in the gullies. Some snow on the Trinity face, but minimal. Banana Gully on Y Garn was the most obvious and potentially in line - but that was from several miles away in a moving car!
In reply to afshapes:

Nick Livesey posted this pic on Facebook today. 6.50 am this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208855725689605&set=a.2451175...
 afshapes 25 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Looks fairly stripped doesn't it .
 john1963 25 Feb 2016
In reply to afshapes:

Drove past yesterday didn't look like anything would be in. Not on Trinity face anyway. Looked more like November than February.
 afshapes 25 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Cheers
 static266 25 Feb 2016
In reply to afshapes:

Light snow cover above 600m, consistently cold temperatures for the last few days above 800m but need more of a snow covering for higher climbs to be 'in'. Not cold enough for lower ice smears on Cyrn Las etc.
 jim jones 25 Feb 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Wandered up into Cwm Glas today, cold but no ice forming, snow gullies are all incomplete (although possible don't look worth it!). Went up West ridge and around Crib Goch etc. Snowdon gullies not in condition either. Very pleasant scramble but needs a week of this.
 GirlieEyes 28 Feb 2016
In reply to jim jones:

Any consolidated snow in the trinity gullies?
 afshapes 28 Feb 2016
In reply to GirlieEyes:

There was a team in ladies gully yesterday.
 climbwhenready 02 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Maybe not the right thread, but...

I'm planning on going walking in Snowdonia this weekend but don't have crampons/axes or practice in using them yet. After todays dumping, are there regions of the park that are less likely to require winter gear? I was thinking maybe the area around Cnicht.
 ianstevens 02 Mar 2016
In reply to climbwhenready:

There's been a dumping? It's warm, wet and windy down low today. You'll probably be fine as long as you avoid the compacted stuff that never seems to melt on the main Snowdon footpaths.
 ianstevens 02 Mar 2016

Missed that side of things!
 richprideaux 02 Mar 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Yup, even the Clwydians have a dusting.
 jezb1 02 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

A dusting came down overnight/this morning, it's baltic!
 sdawson1 02 Mar 2016

There is snow on the Moelwyns. I would not like to scramble CNICHT without the right tools unless it all disappears
In reply to ianstevens:

Stormy at the moment, and with up to 10cm snow forecast tonight!
 geoff b 02 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

I took my son up to Cwm Cneifion on Saturday (27th) & did Hidden Gully. It was in good condition with quality neve & no turf exposed. The turf on the footpath from Llyn Ogwen was frozen above 600m. There wasn't a lot of snow up there but there was some ice on the two lines on the left side of the upper cwm (Nameless Slabs?); probably enough to climb. Cleft Gully had enough ice on the lower pitch (the crux on the top pitch is on hooks on rock in any case) whilst there was plenty on the top pitch of Left Hand Y Gully, but probably not enough on (the crux) P2, unless you like it mixed! These routes are relying on the thaw & freeze of what snow there is left up there, and with the recent snowfall, freezing nights & the forecast for the next couple of days it might be worth a punt. Mwynhewch.
 r1ch79 03 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Im planning a wander up Pen Y Ole Wen and round the carneddu back to Gof Isaf on Saturday

Can anyone confirm the grond conditions. I will have my axe and spikes and I am hoping for some full on winter conditions having looked at the Summit Forcast for the area.....
 dgp 03 Mar 2016
In reply to wannabeagoat:

Was on Elidir Fawr today - a few inches of snow cover above 2,5000ft. More forecast so you will have full winter conditions for your walk on Saturday over the Carneddau. Enjoy
 static266 04 Mar 2016
Been snowing on and off at Pen-y-Pass for 18 hours now, around 5-10cm of snow at this level. Had a couple of glimpses of Cwm Glas & Crib Goch earlier and all looks very plastered.

Next few days forecast to be consistently cold above 600m.
 jimbob1992 04 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

I'm thinking of heading up to N.Wales or the Lakes next weekend, anyone on the ground there prepared to make a conditions forecast?

Removed User 04 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Fwiw I posted at the start of this thread asking if there was a site for snowdonia conditions, the answer is there is one as a FB group called 'Ground Conditions in UK Mountain Areas' (and also has pics of all the other mountain areas for winter climbing and walking):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/345833125602252/
 geoff b 05 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Just got back from Cwm Cneifion/Clogwyn Du. Wow there's lots of snow up there! Turf wasn't as frozen as low down as last weekend, but it's frozen on the face and the routes. Plus there's more ice forming & the potential for some super conditions in the next few days if the forecasted weather pattern holds. Could hear a party who'd started up the Pillar Chimney/El Mancho P1 ramp but couldn't see what they were on. We started (waded) up Left Hand Y Gully which had remarkably good ice in places but the crux part of P2 was too thin for me so we escaped out right to the Right Hand Y Gully which had better neve & a lovely bit of steep ice to finish off. Didn't like the look of the descent gully from the bottom (couldn't see down it from the top) as it had tons of fresh snow in it. Mwynhewch pawb.
 Misha 05 Mar 2016
In reply to geoff b:
Hi Geoff, that was me and a mate on Blenderhead. As you say, turf frozen and crag well rimed up and ice forming. Pillar Chimney ice version might go. Spectral Wall ice not really there below the overhang. All the mixed is in from what we could see. Easy Gully fine, actually mostly not much fresh snow, icy N E instead. Didn't see the other side of the Cwm as too claggy.
 Pay Attention 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Misha:

Is there any current information on the condition of the snow gullies on Trinity area of Yr Wyddfa and also Y Garner?
Has anyone done Great Gully recently?
 static266 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Pay Attention:

Haven't been on Clogwyn y Garnedd or Y Garn this week but the snowpack is almost all fresh powder. I came across reasonably consolidated snow and frozen turf above 850m in cwm glas yesterday.

Looks as though much will thaw by Wednesday.
 mbd 07 Mar 2016

Went up Y Garn, C Gully on Saturday. While there is definitely some nicely consolidated snow and ice there are also large sections where there is only airy powder snow or thin ice which the axe just shatters. Also, the ice on the rocks just disintegrates when it sees the axe coming. Still, the route was very enjoyable and definitely climbable.
 Misha 07 Mar 2016
In reply to mbd:
Ice disintegrating and axe shattering, now that's a bad day
 eoinb 07 Mar 2016

Went up Central Trinity on Sunday. Waded through deep powder. Frozen turf. Felt very cold.
 David Gainor 08 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Me and a mate are considering heading up from the south for a days climbing on Thursday, ideally to solo a route or two up to III. Is it worth the effort with the conditions up there right now? Any info would be much appreciated
 sdawson1 10 Mar 2016
In reply to David Gainor:

Tuesday was crap and Wednesday but things have improved over night !

Unfortunately its getting warm out there. stay North facing
lostcat 10 Mar 2016
In reply to David Gainor:
Did you get anything done? Today was a rare day this winter, clear blue sky after a hard frost on Wednesday night. I went up Moel Siabod via the ridge from Pont Cyfyng after work. Pretty hard going on the slightly scrambley section near the top. Fairly deep snow with a frustratingly thin crust on top. Although I would imagine conditions would of been better in the more sheltered gulleys.
Post edited at 23:44
 jim jones 11 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Walked across below Trinities etc on Snowdon today, snow sugary in the sun (obvious!). Conditions are not that bad for easy gullies, no ice to speak off but the snow is fine on LH Trinity etc.
 ellpeecee 11 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Wandered up the north ridge of tryfan. A slushy scramble rather than a winter outing.

The snow level was getting higher as the day went on.
 TomGB 12 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Went up central trinity today. Alpine start but the snow was still very soft. Still in, just. Can't recommend it going forward with the current conditions.
 LakesWinter 12 Mar 2016
In reply to TomGB:

That said it looks like it's getting frosty at night from Sunday evening, so things should improve then, if there's anything left....
 mr mills 12 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Went up Y Garn on Thursday I'm my approach shoe/boot, kicking steps on soft snow through the cornice at the top, spent a couple of hours on top it was so warm !
david000 13 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Anything skiable available in Snowdonia at the moment ? I fancy a ski tour walk in the week if the weather holds.
 timbers 16 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:
Hiya everyone,

Could anyone give me a heads up on what conditions are like underfoot on Tryfan, specifically the north ridge, at the moment please? There's no snow and ice left up there still?

cheers all.

Andy_B39 16 Mar 2016
In reply to robblowen:

Been up the north ridge this aft, it's pretty much clear of snow now. There's a few patches around on the way off to the south but it's all very wet and slushy.
There's a bit more up on the Glyders but still only on patches.
 timbers 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Andy_B39:
Thanks very much for the info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...