UKC

Clockwork 120s mtb thoughts please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
trollman 08 Jan 2016
Hi, looking to replace my trek6700, which is now used as my commuter.
My Lbs which give great service are orange stockists.
Looking at this years orange clockwork 120s, my type of riding is/will be, South Downs trails, XC duathlons, local single track trails, rat race coast to Coast, the crossing ect, the most extreme would be riding down snowdon on it, I like to go fast especially when racing, should I get a29 or stay with the 27. The whyte 905 was the other bike on my list but not sure if it's the right style, any advice would be great, ps,using the cycle to work scheme so want to buy new
Cheers
Andy
 LastBoyScout 08 Jan 2016
In reply to trollman:

Personally, if I was to buy a new mountain bike, I'd go for 27.5 wheels, but then most of my local riding majors on tight and twisty and I don't think I'm tall enough for a 29er.
trollman 08 Jan 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yes 27.5 was My first thoughts, if I want to go faster, I'll have to get fitter..I'm 5,10, sat on a 27 large and it was fine, can't try a 901 or 905 as no one has one local. Probably just take the plunge this weekend on the clockwork as my head hurts trying to decide on bikes I can't try,
Happy riding
A
 Dr.S at work 08 Jan 2016
In reply to trollman:

For what its worth I've fot a 901 and its lovely - I dont think you would be disapointed with one.
 LastBoyScout 08 Jan 2016
In reply to trollman:

Friend of mine has a Whyte 29er, although not sure of exact model - he loves it, but he's also over 6' tall.

Note that Whyte bikes are known for a longer top tube and short stem - I've got a Portobello hybrid, which is based on MTB geometry and had to up the stock stem by 20mm.
KevinD 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:
Would second this. I have the 905 and its a superb bike for pretty much any usage. Not the most subtle bike in the world but always puts a smile on my face when riding it.
Terms of sizing though for a whyte I would go for a medium (although height alone is a difficult measure). As Lastboyscout says they do go long on the top tube and near enough invisible stems (not dissimilar to the mondrakers).
I wouldnt rule out a 29 due to your height. I test rode some and at the same height didnt have issues and to pick a random pro, Tracey Moseley doesnt seem to suffer riding one. I would try one out and see if you like it, personally I found it didnt quite work on the trails I would ride most but might for you.

Does your company has its own credit licence if you are looking for a 905 on cycle to work?
Post edited at 18:11
trollman 08 Jan 2016
In reply to KevinD:
Ha yes that's a bright orange, my local bike shops can't get a 901 or905 to sit on, even if I wanted to buy I would have to wait till end of feb as they are on back order at factory, very popular models it seems. Don't want to buy a bike without trying the fit, I am paying the extra cash on top of the £1000 cycle to work,
A
KevinD 11 Jan 2016
In reply to trollman:

Unless terms and conditions have changed for cycle to work I didnt think top ups were allowed due to the nature of the lease.
If you are on the northern side of london and can get out to st albans way you can have a play on my 905. Although the trails are shit at the moment (literally with the horse manure mixed in the mud).
 iani 19 Feb 2016
In reply to trollman:

Racing : 29er hard tail every time. Clockworks are robust do it all bikes. Go for it!
 mark1984 20 Feb 2016
In reply to trollman:

Hi There,

I have the clockwork 100s and its a great bike for both trails and longer xc riding - as an all rounder i'd really recommend it.

i'd say the 29er over the 27.5 as an all rounder if honest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...