UKC

Short sleeved Powergrid fleece tee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 10 Jan 2016
Imagine a short-sleeved Eclipse or R1 without the hood. What an excellent alternative winter base layer it would make to a mesh vest/tee under breathable insulation like the Nano Air or Rab Strata.

Does such a garment already exist? Perhaps in a lighter weight of grid fleece?
OP BnB 10 Jan 2016
In reply to Mountain Llama:
I love the Brynje stuff and have a couple already but the OP states "alternative to mesh"!!
Post edited at 10:36
 UKH Forums 10 Jan 2016
This thread was started in the WINTER CLIMBING forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 JayPee630 10 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:

Think these guys make or did make one. http://melanzana.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/22
OP BnB 10 Jan 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Impressed with your recollection but sadly it seems no more.

It's a limited market I guess but I reckon we'd be looking at a perfect combination for staying warm (but not TOO warm) and dry at all times.

Time to launch my own range I guess
2powern 11 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:

I picked up a Mammut shirt matching that description, from Tk Maxx. Absolutely no idea of the model name, but it's a short sleeved, deep zipped power grid shirt.
Great under a Rab Strata.
OP BnB 11 Jan 2016
In reply to 2powern:

That's very helpful of you. But it can't have been a bestseller as they don't seem to do one now from a look at their website. What a pity.
2powern 11 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:
http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/mammut-zip-atacazo-t-shirt/1359263...

That's pretty much what I have, except the sleeves on mine reach to the bottom of the biceps
In reply to 2powern:

That looks rather like the Mammut W's Cotoleft T I saw in TKM in 2014 (2014/06/28 according to the photo...).

To the OP: buy a l/s shirt and take it to your high street sewist, and have then trim & hem the sleeves. 10 minute job.
OP BnB 12 Jan 2016
In reply to 2powern:

Awesome thanks. I'll get Googling.
OP BnB 12 Jan 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

What makes you think I couldn't sew it myself?

You're right. I can't
 iksander 12 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:

Doesn't make much sense to me - you lose a lot of heat from your forearms, cold forearms = hot aches
 JayPee630 12 Jan 2016
In reply to iksander:

Never worn a gilet then? The point might well be to be able to lose heat, or at least regulate body temp efficiently.
 JayPee630 12 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:

One of those with those fleece tshirt things you're after, worn with those running sleeve things, and both worn with a top of light insulation of Alpha but with quite a weatherproof outer might be a very good combination!
OP BnB 12 Jan 2016
In reply to iksander:

> Doesn't make much sense to me - you lose a lot of heat from your forearms, cold forearms = hot aches

I don't typically get hot aches. And with puffy insulation on my arms (Nano Air) under a softshell my arms don't need any more warming.

OP BnB 12 Jan 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

> One of those with those fleece tshirt things you're after, worn with those running sleeve things, and both worn with a top of light insulation of Alpha but with quite a weatherproof outer might be a very good combination!

Microgrid short-sleeved tee shirt base layer + Nano Air + Powershield Pro sofshell + belay jacket = ready for anything

As it is, the Brynje mesh will be tomorrow's base layer of choice but it's not very flexible if I need to strip off the midlayer. It requires a spare modesty layer!!
 iksander 12 Jan 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

> Never worn a gilet then? The point might well be to be able to lose heat, or at least regulate body temp efficiently.

No, but I do have a body warmer - boom tish Joking aside, you can regulate with a body warmer because you can doff or don it easily. Not so a baselayer.

>Microgrid short-sleeved tee shirt base layer + Nano Air + Powershield Pro sofshell + belay jacket = ready for anything

Wow, personally I'd be roasting in that lot on a typical walk in (even minus belay jacket)

>As it is, the Brynje mesh will be tomorrow's base layer of choice but it's not very flexible if I need to strip off the midlayer. It requires a spare modesty layer!!

No need for modesty with Brynje and a windshirt as you're unlikely to overheat in the first place. And as a Scandinavian, I'm proud to bear my Brynje anyway

(plus I'm too old to worry about being a laughing stock any more)
OP BnB 12 Jan 2016
In reply to iksander:

> Wow, personally I'd be roasting in that lot on a typical walk in (even minus belay jacket)

Errr, who said anything about wearing everything at all times?

Baselayer and Nano Air for walk-in. Very breathable, very comfortable. Windshirt not required (except for modesty). Sofshell goes on with the gear. Belay jacket as and when required.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...