UKC

40 Below overboots-How much extra warmth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robgixer 10 Jan 2016
I'm in need for a bit of extra warmth from my boots for alpine climbing in March and wondered if anyone has any experience with the overboots. I have the Nepal Evo and find them a great boot and a really goot fit. I used them in the Alps last March but got slightly cold so either overboots or new boots? I take a size 48 and don't really want to go through the hassle of finding another boot to fit as no where seems to stock 48's.

Cheers Rob
 Damo 10 Jan 2016
In reply to robgixer:

They will add bulk, which makes technical climbing a bit more awkward, they will affect the fit of your crampons, and they will get shredded if you do any amount of mixed climbing. They were really designed for very cold snow climbing and are rarely used for much else.

They obviously add a bit of warmth, but you can't just put them on over boots mid-climb, really you need to put them on when warm in the tent/hut for maximum benefit (otherwise, if you do it later, your feet are trying to warm up already cold boot outers, inside the overboots). Putting them on early, in the Alps, would increase the chance of shredding them on approaches etc. and they may not fit in your ski bindings.

Too much faff, not enough benefit.

Maybe get a pair of Baruntses, they go to 48.
 jon59 10 Jan 2016
In reply to robgixer:

I wouldn't bother with 40 below over boots they will be to hot for the Alps, Ive only used them on trips to Alaska. I would try silk liner or Lorpen socks first then if you do have to buy a new set of boots try any boot with a fitted gaiter, personally I use NF S6K boots and have used them to just over 7000m but i do have really good circulation.
 Damo 11 Jan 2016
In reply to robgixer:

I just bought a pair of Lorpen Primaloft socks, the new Inferno ones. I'm a 47 and they say the XL only goes to 46 but they fit me really well and might stretch to 48. They're quite thickly padded though, so are noticeably tighter in your boot.
OP robgixer 11 Jan 2016
In reply to robgixer:

Thanks for the replies, I'll give the overboots a miss. Now I need to decide whether to try the socks or go in search of some boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...