UKC

Stop pissing on the footpath

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jonsanders24 14 Jan 2016
Today whilst walking into Sneachda I noticed dozens of places were people have just pee'd all over the path. Its really umpleasant for others walking in.

Its not difficult to walk a few meters off the path, big a hole in the snow with your boot then cover the hole back over with snow.

As an MIC I walk into the corrie many times a week and am getting fed up with seeing yellow patches.
In reply to Jonsanders24:

Are you taking the MIC...?

It's just piss; it's not nuclear waste. Either don't walk in it, or walk in it and the snow will have your boots clean in a few yards.

I bet it happens all year round, only you can't see it when there's no snow...
 jon 14 Jan 2016

Waterproof boots?
 planetmarshall 14 Jan 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

> It's just piss; it's not nuclear waste. Either don't walk in it, or walk in it and the snow will have your boots clean in a few yards.

It's unpleasant, unsightly and there's quite a lot of it. 50% of the population mysteriously seem to manage without dropping their pants every 5 minutes on the walk in, so it can't be that hard.

Removed User 14 Jan 2016

Yellow pish is a sign of insufficient hydration among winter mountaineers. If everyone drank enough there would be colourless holes in the snow, and if you stuck your nose in one and had a good sniff you'd barely notice.
 BnB 14 Jan 2016

I was there today as well and I completely agree. I've never seen so many dark stains in the snow. If you must pee on the path please rehydrate in the morning before you set out. Orange they were!!
 MSchobitz 14 Jan 2016

I rarely comment on here, but this is a topic I get quite 'pissed' off about, so I felt the need to comment.

I have to agree with you. Most approaches here are safe enough that people can veer off the path to have a piss a couple meters away. It already frustrates me in the alps*, but the occasional crevasse danger makes it a little more understandable (well, not really). Why people here can't walk off route at least a little bit is beyond me.

Besides the physical aspect of the sport, I climb to enjoy the outdoors. It isn't quite the same when you feel like you're walking through a toilet.

It really isn't that hard to take a few more steps off route and quickly kick some snow over your patch. Then again a few more steps on the way to Sneachda makes the approach about twice as long

*to be fair, the Gouter Route onto Mont Blanc is covered in everything from puke to piss.
 buffalo606 14 Jan 2016

Um it's precisely because one can see it that is unpleasant.

Isn't it weird that c. 20-30 years ago, just about everybody, virtually 100 per cent, would step of the path to have a pee - without having to be told? There's a lot of arrogance in the modern world that's not very attractive.
 Pay Attention 14 Jan 2016
In reply to MSchobitz:

It's not the piss on the footpath that bothers me
... it's the shit on the ledges!
 wolf.leeb 14 Jan 2016

Ohhhhhh..... THE HUMANITY....
 The New NickB 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Bollocks, it isn't a new phenomena, in fact if anything people are more discreet about such things. Nothing new in decrying the standards of the modern world either, doesn't seem to get anymore inciteful though!
 NottsRich 15 Jan 2016

Thanks for posting this to highlight it to everyone - it really is quite disgusting.

Even if you don't step off the path, please try to kick a little snow over it. You may not think it unpleasant to look at, but clearly some people do. Perhaps cover it up for them? It's not much to ask...
 MG 15 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

No, no, *everything* was much better 20 years ago. And *everyone* knew all about philosophy too.
 BruceM 15 Jan 2016
I blame the MICs!!!, and the schools, and whoever else in this new century has encouraged and convinced every person and child over 3 to take up climbing and head for the hills to bag the biggest grade thing they can for their CV, without them having any real love or even awareness of the mountain environment.
 Offwidth 15 Jan 2016

I see this as a bit of a non-issue. Its mildly impolite in a world of bigger problems (like litter and shit). Its also inevitable given the number of lemmings on the hills. Someone pissed there so, why shouldnt they?
 CurlyStevo 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Pay Attention:

> It's not the piss on the footpath that bothers me

> ... it's the shit on the ledges!

That actually is disgusting I stepped in that abbing down a summer route once (((((((
 Robert Durran 15 Jan 2016

Can't bring myself to be bothered about this. If you want to avoid crowds and all the inconveniences and irritations that go with them, don't go to the Northern Corries.
In reply to Pay Attention:

> It's not the piss on the footpath that bothers me

> ... it's the shit on the ledges!

While it is, admittedly, easy to step off the path for a piss, it is more problematical stepping off a ledge for a shit. Again, it all comes with the crowds.....

If you have to shit on a ledge, best to try to get a bit away from the anchors and don't superficially cover it up - make it obvious.
 CurlyStevo 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

I've never needed to go for a dump on a belay ledge. OK I can see it happening on a really long alpine route but in the UK? Just go in the morning! Or if you must again before you start the route!
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I've never needed to go for a dump on a belay ledge.

Good for you. Wait till you get old and scared.........
 CurlyStevo 15 Jan 2016

haha were you so scared a little bit of poo came out
 johncook 15 Jan 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:
I know and have climbed with people who leave home, drive 30 minutes to the crag, then have to go for a shit. Wouldn't it have been easier to go at home before they set out instead of leaving it all over the Peak. Possible the worst places for this are Millstone and Lawrencefield. They also often leave bog paper with their deposit. I have avoided climbing with a couple of these inconsiderate people. Their excuse is that it is good for the vegetation. I am tempted to go shit on their lawn and see what they say, but I have more restraint!
 CurlyStevo 15 Jan 2016
In reply to johncook:

One of my friends always did this. We'd joke about it, he would try all the known normal way of encouraging things along on the campsite (breakfast / coffee / ciggy) , but to no avail. One climb in he'd be off in the heather!
 smally 15 Jan 2016

Perhaps these folk are actually unsung environmental guardians. Surely urinatining on an area of aggregate path with a hardcore base will allow quick dispersal into the subsoil . The alternative suggested, and lauded in the above posts ,would surely have a detrimental effect on the fragile Cairngorm sub-arctic ecosystem.
Maybe, one could argue, the real environmental culprits are those who continuously and remorselessly use the area.

Just saying,like,just saying !
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> haha were you so scared a little bit of poo came out

On several occasions, though a couple of times (funnily enough both on Fiacaill Buttress routes) it simply wasn't practicable to get my harness off and trousers down.

I'm thinking of making my fortune marketing winter climbing nappies; environmentally friendly and no need for all that faff on awkward stances.

top cat 15 Jan 2016

You are MIC and walk on a path? Poor show.......
 Joak 15 Jan 2016

Popularity wise the Northern Corries are the winter climbers equivalent of a music festival. Just thank yer lucky stars you're not walking past dozens of discarded pop up tents.
 JuanTinco 15 Jan 2016
"Isn't it weird that c. 20-30 years ago, just about everybody, virtually 100 per cent, would step of the path to have a pee - without having to be told? There's a lot of arrogance in the modern world that's not very attractive."

As a complete aside in Bill Brysons Notes from a big country he write about the dumbing down of facts and figures - we can work out just about everybody would be virtually 100%

I agree though - 20 to 30 years ago it was always sunny, perfect conditions and everyone doffed their hat and said "good morning, no after you, i insist you go first, lets meet for tea later"

*sigh* those were the days.....

(edited to show quote i'm replying to)
Post edited at 12:30
 Hat Dude 15 Jan 2016

> Isn't it weird that c. 20-30 years ago, just about everybody, virtually 100 per cent, would step of the path to have a pee - without having to be told?

The problem is that the "just about everybody" you refer to, now have 20-30 year older bladders and don't have time to step off the path
 Timmd 15 Jan 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:
I'm thinking it's not hard to see how seeing yellow patches at the foot of a climb can impact on the 'tranquil niceness' of walking into and gearing up for a winter climb in the snow, in the sense that it's not earth shattering, but it'd be kind of thoughtful if people covered up their pee stains with snow or went off the path.
Post edited at 12:53
In reply to planetmarshall (but not in particular):

> It's unpleasant, unsightly and there's quite a lot of it.

Why is it unpleasant or unsightly? That suggests a somewhat prudish attitude to bodily functions.

Shit is a somewhat different matter, since it is a health hazard, and tends to stick around (although not so much when frozen...); urine generally isn't.

> 50% of the population mysteriously seem to manage without dropping their pants every 5 minutes on the walk in, so it can't be that hard.

I don't think it's good that 50% of the population (assuming you mean females) don't urinate when they need to; it's not good for them to avoid emptying their bladder when the need arises.

I should point out that I don't make a habit of pissing all over the path, as I would usually go off the path for modesty reasons. But I just don't see what the fuss about a bit of coloured liquid is.

ps. are we sure it's human urine...?

http://www.strathcaulaidh.com/reindeer-in-the-caingorms/
 Timmd 15 Jan 2016
With how we've apparently evolved to find colours which resemble bodily fluids less attractive, because related 'deposits' can have hygiene implications, it could be down to that and not that he's prudish?

Another harmonious day on UKC continues...
Post edited at 13:12
In reply to Timmd:

Is that why everyone hates chocolate, and no-one drinks lager...?

p.s. I'm trying to discuss, rather than argue...
Post edited at 13:14
 Timmd 15 Jan 2016
I'm thinking that context plays a part too, perhaps? You don't expect to find poo in a chocolate wrapper.

http://news.discovery.com/human/evolution/colors-preferences-evolution-styl...

Here you go, it's based on experience that we learn to find certain colours unappealing.
Post edited at 13:23
 Timmd 15 Jan 2016
There's bound to be more in depth articles online but I've porridge to eat and work to do.

Post edited at 13:25
 The Grist 15 Jan 2016

I once saw a used bloody tampon right in the middle of the path to Ben Nevis. That was really disgusting. I kicked it to one side.
I agree people should be more considerate.
Andy Gamisou 15 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Bollocks, it isn't a new phenomena....

Yes but 20-30 years ago at least if you pissed on the path it came out tinted a nice rose colour.

planetmarshall 15 Jan 2016

> Why is it unpleasant or unsightly? That suggests a somewhat prudish attitude to bodily functions....But I just don't see what the fuss about a bit of coloured liquid is.

If not being spectacularly enthusiastic about wading through a flood of human excrement in order to get to a climb makes me prudish, then so be it.

In reply to planetmarshall:

I thought we were talking about urine, not excrement. As I said about, excrement is a different matter.

Likewise, if there's as much urine swilling about as there is in a beer festival urinal, then maybe there's a problem. But I really can't see that is likely...
 NottsRich 15 Jan 2016

Head up after this weekend and have a look for yourself...!
 3leggeddog 15 Jan 2016

It never ceases to amaze me how rufty tufty outdoor types can get so upset about a little dirt. There was a thread a few years ago about a frozen turd in Rjukan, neglecting to recognise that a number of routes there climb sewage outfalls.

What next, nappies for the reindeer herd?
 Sean_J 15 Jan 2016

Better than taking a dump and crowning it with a tissue paper hat, literally one step off the path - they seem to like doing that a lot in the Alps and at Font and some Spanish crags. Not seen it in the UK though... yet....
 Timmd 15 Jan 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:
> It never ceases to amaze me how rufty tufty outdoor types can get so upset about a little dirt. There was a thread a few years ago about a frozen turd in Rjukan, neglecting to recognise that a number of routes there climb sewage outfalls.

> What next, nappies for the reindeer herd?

I'm thinking it's not hard to see how seeing yellow patches at the foot of a climb can impact on the 'tranquil niceness' of walking into and gearing up for a winter climb in the snow, in the sense that it's not earth shattering, but it'd be kind of thoughtful if people covered up their pee stains with snow or went off the path.
Post edited at 16:53

> If you want to avoid crowds and all the conveniences

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

Oh no; I did it again!

Oh, and again...
 Jamie Hageman 15 Jan 2016

I liken this to banana skins and orange peel dumped on/beside paths - it spolis the wild and unspoilt nature of the mountains. At its root is surely the 'marking my territory' or 'making people know where I've been' mentality. The same as the desire to leave a footprint in a pristine mud patch (which I have to admit to). For the people that follow however, it is these signs of previous travel that detract from the wild mountain environment.
The solution is simple - take care to leave as little trace of your passing as possible - taking litter home, and urinating/no.2s away from paths (and watercourses of course).

The people attacking Jon Sanders' origonal post are obviously the ones who are leaving these traces for all to see. It doesn't take much common sense to show some respect, but there are always a few that spoil it for the rest.
 NottsRich 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Spot on.
 digby 16 Jan 2016

Nah it's fine to wade through piss, orange peel, banana peel, discarded tents and rubbish. Climbing's the thing! Who cares about the environment?

I don't go to the outdoors to be struck by the beauty of it...

Oh wait, I do.
 Quaidy Quaid 16 Jan 2016

How do u know it was pee ......?
When i poured my green tee out on striding edge today it looked
Like pee and i thought of this thread.
So untill u taste it u will never know. Also what about dogs how do u know it wasn't one !
 Wsdconst 16 Jan 2016

> If you have to shit on a ledge, best to try to get a bit away from the anchors and don't superficially cover it up - make it obvious.

Maybe stick a flag in the top ?
 3leggeddog 16 Jan 2016

Isn't this all getting a bit silly?

This is sneachda we are talking about, the busiest corrie in Scotland. Being the busiest means that human being impact will be more visible and this certainly isn't helped by instructors marching their charges in there several times a week.

All that said, sneachda serves a purpose in keeping other corries quiet and tidy.
Lusk 16 Jan 2016

I can't help feeling some irony (or whatever) here with this posters name
 toad 16 Jan 2016

You should all consider Frank Zappa's prescient warning to nanook
 thespecialone 16 Jan 2016

lets build a toilet block
Lusk 16 Jan 2016
In reply to thespecialone:

Can we have a bench for the queue?
 malky_c 16 Jan 2016

I was on some nice quiet hills in Perthshire earlier on today, far away from the bustle of the Northern Corries, and the sheep had the nerve to pee on the track. Totally ruined my enjoyment of the pristine wilderness. Could they not go somewhere else?
 Palomino1hills 16 Jan 2016

Agree with most of these comments, I was up there today and there is pish at some of the gully exits ...come on even cats and dogs clear up after themselves!
 Joak 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Palomino1hills:

Most weekends in winter when I stand wi ma back tae the wind on a Scottish mountain ma pish is atomised and rarely reaches the snaw. A slight miscalculation wi the wind speed and direction can, on the very odd vortexy type occasion result in a lightly seasoned salty type taste tae the lips.
Rigid Raider 17 Jan 2016

All those clumps of stinging nettles along country paths and the outskirts of villages wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the nitrates, thanks to a century of two of working men stopping for a tinkle on their way home from the pub.
 Dave the Rave 17 Jan 2016

I once took a piss off the Cioch. I was trying to emulate Highlander with my special sword.
 bouldery bits 17 Jan 2016
In reply to kwaidy:

> How do u know it was pee ......?

> When i poured my green tee out on striding edge today it looked

> Like pee and i thought of this thread.

> So untill u taste it u will never know. Also what about dogs how do u know it wasn't one !

I'd rather the P than the green tea!

Removed User 18 Jan 2016

> Today whilst walking into Sneachda I noticed dozens of places were people have just pee'd all over the path. Its really umpleasant for others walking in.

I gladly used the pee stains to navigate back to the car park from Sneachda in a white-out a few years ago.
 Jonny Tee 69 18 Jan 2016

This is classic UKC forum stuff, very entertaining.
 summo 18 Jan 2016

this thread reminds of the ice climbs near nevis range top station in the forest, that were in the days of old allegedly a little contaminated from toilet run off. I never smelt anything or climbed golden ice, but it's sound plausible.
 Jonny Tee 69 18 Jan 2016

UKC, you have brightened up a painful day!
 krikoman 18 Jan 2016

> I liken this to banana skins and orange peel dumped on/beside paths - it spolis the wild and unspoilt nature of the mountains.

what with sheep, badger, fox, deer; piss and shit everywhere?

bloody animals using nature like a fooking toilet!!
 Chris Sansum 18 Jan 2016

I understand the sentiment, but how are people supposed to see where you've signed your name in the snow if you don't put it in a prominent place?
 DerwentDiluted 19 Jan 2016

Scottish winter climbing and piss go way back, Guardez l'eau!
Abacus 31 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed UserBwox:
Oh, I really like that. Just as well they knew where they were going! I can just see the route in Trail magazine... Navigation- how tricky is this route to follow? Would they give it 1,2,3,4, or 5 dots? Perhaps a 1 dot being " clear, well-marked paths..." . And for route Technicality I think 5 dots, " hands required for at least one move". Of course there is a "clear" answer to all this, drink more and eradicate the yellow!
> I gladly used the pee stains to navigate back to the car park from Sneachda in a white-out a few years ago.

Post edited at 11:27
 Chris Harris 31 Jan 2016

Oddly enough, I was reminded of this thread yesterday when I was flicking through the channels & came across this....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047685/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
 Brass Nipples 31 Jan 2016

Couldn't you use the yellow snow to practice micro navigation with your students?

Shaneclimbing 31 Jan 2016

It pisses me off too, excuse the pun
Andy Gamisou 31 Jan 2016

"Stop pissing on the footpath" - wasn't this Petula Clark's sequel to her hit "Don't sleep in the subway"?
 wercat 01 Feb 2016
perhaps it is a kind of human "scent marking" psychology? I'm always surprised just how little distance some people choose to place themselves from companions eating or drinking when they empty themselves. I suppose it might be showmanship, lack of consideration or sheer urgency? The latter could be caused by trying to keep up with someone too fast so not stopping before it gets too close to the line and a urinary emergency is declared.
Post edited at 09:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...